RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saw the name Benbow, and had a flashback.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw the name Benbow, and had a flashback.

I remember while living in Jamaica (in the mid 70's - early 80's), and those Manning Cup and DaCosta Cup games, and the players - ****** Pele, Zun Clarke, Dougie Bell, Peter Pringle, Blakie, Eric Curry, Daddy Grant, Lenny Hyde, Wayne Wonder, Spiderman, Sweetie Smith, and many more.

How do these youngsters today compare to those players?

Different players totally! It's like comparing Pele, Francescoli and Platini to Podolski, Iniesta and van Persie.

Those days it was all about individual skills. yes, they did operate in a team but players were allowed to display their flair.

These days it's about team first and almost exclusively, so technically skills, in my view, need to be almost perfect.

There is no one in today's league that has demonstrated the flair of a Lenny Hyde, a Sweetie Smith, a Wayne Wonder or a Blakie. Dougie Bell was a solid defender but there are probably some players today who could compare. Or maybe not!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Spiderman,if memory serves me correctly was a C Down man,damn good keeper,he really defied the laws of Physics;he was able to change direction in midair.
      Come to think of it, I am not even sure if Spiderman was a C Down man,maybe purple and white considering UFAF is the one that made the post,nevertheless C Down had a gem in the forward Mughead.

Comment

I think we had 2 or three Spidermans in football around that time. I believe STETHS and Cornwall had one each.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

78 0r 79,we had one in Manning Cup,I am sure that is the one USAF is referring to.
          Were the ones you mentioned outstanding too?

Comment

You don't get to be called Spiderman if yuh not an outstanding goalkeeper!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yep, realized that after I pressed the post button.
              My bad for asking a silly question.

Comment

You are allowed one per week.

Lazie refuses to observe this rule though.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

the SPIDERMAN of all the SPIDERMEN was the CDown keeper !!

Carlton Williams I think is his name....GREAT keeper.

wonda if him available for Mexico game ?
                  Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

Originally posted by Twan View Post
                    the SPIDERMAN of all the SPIDERMEN was the CDown keeper !!

Carlton Williams I think is his name....GREAT keeper.

wonda if him available for Mexico game ?

hehehe
                    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                    X