• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigation Finds Suspected Fixing in 680 Soccer Matches

February 4, 2013
    Investigation Finds Suspected Fixing in 680 Soccer Matches
    By DAVID JOLLY

THE HAGUE — Criminal organizations have infiltrated the highest levels of European and international soccer, threatening the very integrity of the sport, global law enforcement officials said on Monday as they unveiled the results of a 19-month investigation that showed hundreds of people involved in match-fixing.

At least 425 people from more than 15 countries — including club and match officials, current and former players — are suspected of conspiring to fix hundreds of matches on behalf of Asian criminal syndicates which made millions of dollars in profits by betting on the results, they said.

Those matches included qualifying games for both the World Cup and European Cup, and two Champions League matches, including one in England.

“This is a sad day for European football, and more evidence of the corrupting influence of organized crime,” said Rob Wainwright, the director of Europol, which helped to coordinate the investigation among European Union member states, Interpol and non-European nations.

Citing the current doping scandal that has undermined public trust and interest in cycling, Mr. Wainwright warned that the problem must be tackled quickly or soccer would lose the trust of the public.

In all, 680 matches have been identified as suspect, officials said, including 300 outside of Europe, primarily in Asia, Africa and Latin America.

It was not immediately clear how many of the matches identified were already known to the public or were the result of new discoveries.

Officials declined to identify any of the teams or individuals involved in the ongoing investigations, citing the need to guard the confidentiality of police procedures.

The officials, speaking to journalists at Europol headquarters, said that a joint team was created in July 2011 following the realization by German prosecutors that there was a major overlap between suspects in their own match-fixing probe and suspects identified in a separate investigation by the Italian police.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Where is the outcry? Is it only me (and Hortical) that sees this as a huge problem? 380 European matches suspicious. I can tell you that if the Chelsea v. Barca match from a few years ago isn't one of them, it should be...and all of Manu*'s games for that matter (okay, maybe half ) and while Europol is at it, why not investigate the award to Russia and Qatar? Where football is lucky (unlike boxing and cycling to a lesser extent) is that it is tribal; supporters won't care either way unless it affects their club. From long time I have been telling you that dem tief...part of the reason why they have resisted technology.
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

The only explanation for KOP winning Champs League is match fixing.

That said, CL final was fixed partially by Drogba to let Man U beat Chelski in Moscow. It was then fixed to let Drogba and Chelski beat Bayern in Munich.
      "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Originally posted by Westman View Post
        The only explanation for KOP winning Champs League is match fixing.

That said, CL final was fixed partially by Drogba to let Man U beat Chelski in Moscow. It was then fixed to let Drogba and Chelski beat Bayern in Munich.
        So three english champions all fixed. Cool. While I have no evidence to support specific games being fixed, I have long suspected that the game is rigged, particularly when it comes to refereeing decisions that make no sense. Of particular note, the game between Barca and Chelsea at the bridge a few years ago where the ref blew off 4 Chelsea penalty appeals comes to mind. Remember also, that match fixing is not always about who wins and who loses, as there are many other facets of the game that are bet on.
        "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
          So three english champions all fixed. Cool. While I have no evidence to support specific games being fixed, I have long suspected that the game is rigged, particularly when it comes to refereeing decisions that make no sense. Of particular note, the game between Barca and Chelsea at the bridge a few years ago where the ref blew off 4 Chelsea penalty appeals comes to mind. Remember also, that match fixing is not always about who wins and who loses, as there are many other facets of the game that are bet on.
          You are aware the game in question is a Liverpool game?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            You are aware the game in question is a Liverpool game?
            Yes, but not a game Liverpool have been suspected of fixing. The focus is on their opposition, a team from Croatia, who also are being investigated for the fixture in Croatia as well as the game in Liverpool. Again, keep in mind that match fixing is not just about who wins and who loses, so it could still be fixed if the winnings come from who scores the first goal, get the first throw in etc.

Comment

Working...
            X