• Show
Clear All

• This Week's Predictions

Lawro's predictions

By Mark Lawrenson
    BBC Sport football expert

SATURDAY

Arsenal v Bolton

The battle for fourth. Arsenal have been poor in the last few weeks but they battered West Ham and really should have won. This is their cup final and will ultimately end Bolton's hopes of finishing fourth.
    When Bolton host Arsenal at the Reebok you can generally see the body language of the Gunners is not great but it is different at the Emirates.
    Match preview

Prediction: 2-0

Man City v Liverpool

City have had a couple of excellent results. The win over Fulham has basically sent them clear of the relegation fight and is great news for them.
    Liverpool are just playing so well. They are interchanging the team but not making too many alterations. They have got a great record at Eastlands so I'm going for them.

Match preview

Prediction: 0-2

Middlesbrough v Aston Villa

Aston Villa have picked up a little bit of late and it was a good away win at Blackburn.
    They are virtually safe now. They have no pressure and, as Middlesbrough are having a stuttering end to the season, I'm going for Villa.
    Match preview

Prediction: 1-2

Portsmouth v Newcastle

Match preview

Portsmouth had a strange Easter. They had that fantastic result against Manchester United and then basically collapsed at Watford.
    But I think Pompey keeper David James will break the record for Premiership clean sheets in this game.
    It's not a good place for Newcastle to go although their form has improved and a win and draw saw them have a good Easter.
    Prediction: 2-0

Reading v Fulham

It's the first game for new manager Lawrie Sanchez. I don't think Fulham are going to be relegated and they were extremely hasty in getting rid of Chris Coleman.
    But obviously after appointing a new manager you would expect an improved result against a Reading side who look like they've had a long season and seem a bit leggy.
    Match preview

Prediction: 1-1

Sheff Utd v West Ham

This is a big one. West Ham are now in a good run of form and very quietly will be thinking that if they keep going anything can happen.
    Sheffield United have really started to wobble without striker Rob Hulse. It looks like they are having a spell of making poor decisions in games and that is costing them.
    Match preview

Prediction: 1-1

FA Cup semi-final
    Watford v Man Utd (1730 BST)

Manchester United are playing really well at the moment. It is just the power and pace of their game but it is an FA Cup semi-final and it does involve nerves.
    A lot of people think that United will just roll Watford over but I don't think that they will because you will get a massive effort from them as well.
    I look at Watford and think who is going to score for you against Manchester United. And, at the other end, who is going to be able to cope with the pace and power of Cristiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney.
    I don't think there will be a fear factor from Watford after seeing United beat Roma 7-1.
    It was a fantastic result but Roma were poor.
    In many ways, you might go there if you are Watford and think you have nothing to lose and 'if they beat Roma 7-1 who is going to back us'.
    Match preview

SUNDAY
    I'm going to go for a Wigan win bearing in mind Tottenham have played lots of games recently.
    Wigan for me just need another win and they will not be far off being safe either. They were a little unlucky to lose to Bolton but I'll go for them to get a narrow and squeaky win.
    Match preview

Prediction: 1-0

Everton v Charlton

Everton and Charlton are arguably as good as anyone in the league at the moment.
    Charlton have got fantastic belief at the moment and it makes a massive difference at their end of the table. But I'll go for Everton as they are at home and is a tough ask.
    Match preview

Prediction: 2-1

FA Cup semi-final
    Blackburn v Chelsea (1600 BST)

This will be closer than the other semi-final.
    With Chelsea, at the moment, if manager Jose Mourinho needs to change it he does and when he does it tends to be successful.
    Joe Cole is also coming back for them and they have already won one competition with a chance in another three.
    The thing about them defensively as well is that they do not concede poor goals, especially when John Terry and Petr Cech are playing.
    Blackburn have had a really good season and coped with injuries as well which no-one has mentioned.
    They are very competitive, can be physical but they are also a good side with width but they are unfortunate they are up against Chelsea.
    Match preview
    Last edited by Tilla; April 12, 2007, 12:27 PM.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

I guess the intriguing game will be the clash between Bolton and Arsenal.
    Really think Newcastle is going to murder Portsmouth, fancy Middlesbrough over Villa, and hoping Sheffield beats West Ham.
    We will see.

Blessed

Comment

Working...
    X