Costa Rica calls 'snow job' in WC qualifying loss to USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costa Rica calls 'snow job' in WC qualifying loss to USA

Costa Rica calls 'snow job' in World Cup qualifying loss to U.S.

Costa Rica's Michael Barrantes said of playing in the snow Friday night, "You couldn't see the ball." (Barry Gutierrez / EPA / March 22, 2013)
    By Dan Loumena
    March 23, 2013, 9:23 a.m.
    Costa Rica's players and coach were none too happy with a 1-0 loss to the United States in a World Cup qualifier Friday night that was mainly played in a snowstorm in Commerce City, Colo.

“You couldn't see the lines. You couldn't see the ball. You couldn't play,” Costa Rica midfielder Michael Barrantes said.

Costa Rican Coach Jorge Luis Pinto was outraged that the game was played.

“I asked them to stop," he said after the game. "They should suspend the ref. It was an embarrassment. It was an insult to Costa Rica and people coming in here.”

The only goal was a fortunate strike for the U.S. in the 16th minute. It came when a shot by forward Jozy Altidore deflected over three Costa Rican defenders and fell at the feet of forward Clint Dempsey, who was wide open on the far side of the defense.

“It was a lucky deflection,” Dempsey said. “If I would have missed it, I would have cried all night.”

The game was stopped briefly in the 55th minute when conditions turned into a whiteout. U.S. Coach Juergen Klinsmann pleaded for the game to continue.

“You don't want to stop it," Klinsmann said. "You want to keep that advantage and finish it off.

“They cleaned up the lines and they kept playing. The referees were clear, they said it was all about the lines. It's for both teams very difficult to play all the way through. I would have done anything possible to not stop it.”

Costa Rica almost tied the score in the 70th minute when Michael Umana got behind the American defense for a goal, but he was ruled to be offside.

“We were able to come together when we needed to,” Dempsey said.

Much to the chagrin of Costa Rica, which has 24 hours to file a protest with FIFA, the governing body of international soccer.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,2043095.story

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Costa Rica must take some of the blame. I think they thought they could have sneaked one. The ref call both teams and it didn't seem like there was any objection from Costa Rica.

I am sure if the US was not leading the US would have stopped the game. Costa Rica can't have it both ways. The wanted to sneak a tie in the snow or call for replay after the game.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Not really, Sass. CR had no choice but to finish playing out the match. Of course, if the USA was losing they would have harassed the ref for a cancellation but they would have had to stay on the field until that was granted. The US by themselves could not stop anything!

FIFA should do the just thing and have the match replayed.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

FIFA should do the just thing and have the match replayed.
        Not gonna happen though.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

One of the most interesting experiences I have ever had at a football game.

We were all huddled in like Emperior Penguins. Snow was piled thick on everyones' head. The snow came in sideways for the entire game.

Both teams were evenly matched given the conditions. Jamaica will have to step up several notches in order to take full points from a talented Costa Rica on Tuesday.

Glad to be back home!!!
          Last edited by HL; March 24, 2013, 12:13 PM.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Disgrace to the beautiful game!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Blame mother nature for the "ice-hockey " match!
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Denver was chosen months ago so we could prepare at altitude for Mexico. It happened to snow. The match was played. We won. Too bad for Costa Rica.
                "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                - Xavi

Comment

WOW zEP U DEH BOUT LOL

wAH U WUD A DO IF THE usa HAD LOSS OR DRAWN THE GAME LOL
                  "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

Is this the orginal Zeppo? I have two more German ballers for you....LOL
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

We lost to Honduras, & what we did was get back up and get ready for C.R. We are now in second place after being at the bottom. If we had lost to C.R. we would just have do the same and get ready for Mexico.....That's football.

Comment

Thank you, but we are OK with what we have. The player I want is Donovan.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          Is this the orginal Zeppo? I have two more German ballers for you....LOL
                          Great! I have two more Brits for you, fresh from the English lower divisions! We can make a trade!
                          "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                          - Xavi

Comment

mi know you alway have the brits for us so that is why I have to return the favor, but I haven't seen you much recently especially after a US lost. What happen, you lost your voice???

Comment

Working...
                            X