Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattocks learning from criticism ...

Striker blamed after Whitcaps MLS loss

Out-of-favour Jamaica international football player, Darren Mattocks, scored his first goal of the new Major League Soccer (MLS) season, but missed a crucial chance in the second half for Vancouver Whitecaps away at Houston Dynamo on Saturday.

Mattocks scored an excellent goal in the first half to put Vancouver ahead. He then came in for heavy criticism for a missed opportunity in the second half, when on a breakaway, the Jamaican opted to shoot after cutting in on goal rather than pass to Nigel Reo-Coker, who was unmarked in the box and appeared to have a better angle on goal. There was also the option of sending Erik Hurtado through, as the winger was also in a good position.

"It was a massive moment in the game," Vancouver head coach Martin Rennie told Vancouver radio station TEAM 1410 when asked about Mattock's miss. "In the first half, we stood up to the pressure they put us under, didn't give up many chances and then scored an excellent goal; a good assist from Erik (Hurtado) and an excellent finish from Darren (Mattocks).

"At that point, we were in a really good position, Second half, there were more waves of attack coming at us, and we managed to create a great chance on the break. That was a great chance for us to put ourselves in a very strong position. At 2-0, it would have been much more difficult for Houston, so that's disappointing."

Stand-in captain Reo-Coker was more direct with his criticism for his young teammate, stating point blank that Mattocks should have passed rather than shoot at goal.

small margins

"I said to Darren after the game, 'With the level we're at now, those are the small margins that we let pass us by," Reo-Coker, who has played at West Ham and Aston Villa in England said on the radio broadcast. "We take our second chance, the game's 2-0. It would have been very difficult for them to come back being 2-0 down at home with the (32-game home unbeaten streak) they had.

"That's the difference between playing a higher level of football and a lower level of football - you take your chances. You might only get one chance away from home and you must learn to take that one chance that you may get."

When contacted about the criticism from his coach and captain, at his flat in Vancouver on Sunday, Mattocks told The Gleaner: "A striker's instinct is to cut inside and put away the goal, But that didn't happen. To have guys like Reo to talk to about my game is good. He spoke to me as a professional. It was constructive criticism that should make be better."

Mattocks also said, "It's always good to get one's first goal. So I am looking forward to my second season in the MLS with the objective of scoring goals for my club."

That was Vancouver's first loss in the MLS Western Conference. They have six points from three games played.

Striker blamed after Whitecaps MLS loss
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Reo C must take it easy. Last week he bushed a sitter from 6 yards out.

Mattocks could have pass it but this is also the kind of plays that strikers take the chance on and score sometimes. It was a quick decision thing and even the commentators said it may have been the right decision by Mattocks.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I like his response. This kid has a very bright future. His confidence and self-belief is very high, which is what you need from a top striker. Plus, because he sets his goals so high, they will push him to improve. i like him.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Not could have passed Sass, he should have passed. RC was wide open with essentially an open net. The goalie was focused solely on Mattocks. If you take a shot in a situation like that you had better score and definitely not hit it straight to the keeper and I like Mattocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
          Not could have passed Sass, he should have passed. RC was wide open with essentially an open net. The goalie was focused solely on Mattocks. If you take a shot in a situation like that you had better score and definitely not hit it straight to the keeper and I like Mattocks.
          Didn't see the play but it sounds similiar to a play in the Panama game where Beckford opted to shoot instead of passing to the open player with a better chance to score.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Same type of play except the Vancouver player was waaay more open.

Comment

Not saying no, but strikers make the decision to do it themselves all the time. I think Reo C. is a bit too harsh on Mattocks here. Reo maybe just want his first goal. Still wasn't a bad shot. Something teammates can talk about and cuss each other but nothing for the media if you ask me.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Reggae Boyz watch

Darren Mattocks played and scored in Vancouvers 2-1 loss away at Houston. Highlights below:-

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter...van/highlights

Comment

Thanks, Dunny.
                  ...that to some here of a seemingly small error is the difference between a win and a loss...a progression in a tournament and being merely an also ran.

Strikers must be selfish...for TEAM and thus self! Mattocks in a video posted by Maudib (showed "im, at that moment, nuh readi")...showed lack of maturity and just plain did not use commonsense. He had already done the hard work of drawing the 'keeper to him. ...a simple rolling of the ball to the player on the right would have given his TEAM a great chance at scoring into an unguarded goal.
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                    Didn't see the play but it sounds similiar to a play in the Panama game where Beckford opted to shoot instead of passing to the open player with a better chance to score.
                    You are correct!
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I think you've gone overboard here. Big name strikers do that everyday.

Comment

Karl stop talking what nuh go so. I see the same thing happen in the EPL all the time. It is still early season in MLS, Vancouver not losing much right now. he and his team mates are are gelling. Mattocks has 1 goal and one assist in 3 games played. Not bad stats.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
                          I think you've gone overboard here. Big name strikers do that everyday.
                          Re: Striker do it everyday.
                          Yes, like Theor Walcott in this season and that has cost my GUNNERS big time!

Re: Overboard
                          You are entitled to your own opinion.

Comment

so Beckford nuh ready???

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                              Re: Striker do it everyday.
                              Yes, like Theor Walcott in this season and that has cost my GUNNERS big time!

Re: Overboard
                              You are entitled to your own opinion.
                              I've seen Van Persie do it, the striker for Bayern Munich(can't remember his name now) etc. Name any top striker you want and I can site an example of them doing it. Just my entitled opinion. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                              X