Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arsenal

Koscielny and Mertesacker at the centre of Arsenal revival

Author: Chaitanya Goparaju Published : 20 May 2013 11:30:41 256 Views0 Comments

Rss feed comments
    More

</DIV>

As Arsenal have won their final match of the season against Newcastle, and are relived to not miss out on Champions League in next season, tribute should be paid to the center-back pairing of the Frenchman Laurent Koscielny and the German Per Mertesacker who now hold a fine record of overseeing Arsenal to 17 consecutive matches unbeaten when playing together.

The pair also get involved sometimes on offense too as Koscienly helped their cause against Newcastle by scoring the solitary goal of the game, with the ball headed to him by none other than Per himself, and Arsenal eked out another 1-0 victory this season. The tall Mertesacker and the tough and quick Koscielny balance each other well on the pitch. It is often said that strength of a team starts at the back and these two have been nearly perfect for Arsenal in keeping opposition quiet or subdued.

Per may not be the fastest in the League and cannot run down speedy forwards but he makes up for that by positioning himself well in tricky situations. He has also made the most appearances of any Arsenal defender this season and has also the most goals among them (Koscielny, Gibbs, Vermaelen, Sagna, Jenkinson, Monreal, Miquel, Santos), thus justifying Arsene Wenger’s immense faith in his play.

Arsenal has also ended the season with the 2nd best defensive record in term of goals conceded (only Manchester City has conceded fewer – 34 to Arsenal’s 39) which is a marked improvement from last season when they let in a staggering 49 into the net. It might be safe to say that Arsenal’s defensive frailty has been resolved to some extent and with the likes of Jenkinson waiting in the wings, the future looks bright. It will be interesting to see if Wenger will be bringing in players to further shore up the back line and establish a consistent back four who can combine speed with guile to thwart teams day in day out.

Arsenal’s transfer market acquisitions will surely play a huge role in their aspirations next season. While it has been defense that has let down in crucial games this season, Arsenal’s inability to strike in decisive situations has also been their undoing. Next season holds the key, now that Champions League play is guaranteed and it will be an intriguing summer to say the least!
    Last edited by Karl; May 20, 2013, 12:42 PM.

Arsenal's Campbell happy at Betis

ESPN staff
    May 20, 2013« New Zealand lose Martin for rest of tour | Moyes begins work at Manchester United »

Arsenal's Joel Campbell is keen to stay with La Liga side Real Betis next season © PA PhotosEnlarge

Related LinksArsenal will decide this week whether to allow Costa Rican winger Joel Campbell to spend another year on loan at La Liga side Real Betis, according to his agent.

Campbell, 20, has impressed this season at the Estadio Benito Villamarin, with two goals and three assists in regular contributions to Betis' surprisingly strong challenge for Europa League qualification.

Joaquin Batica told Costa Rica's La Nacion that other options were on the table, and his client's continuing development was the main priority.

"In the coming days, Arsenal will make a decision about this," Batica said. "Joel is very happy at Betis but, at the same time, all options are open - staying in Seville, returning to London, or another loan to a European team.

"The argument with most weight will be how much time he gets to play, with regular games so that Joel can keep progressing."

Campbell himself told the paper that he was not sure what the future held, but he would be happy to stay at Betis where he has settled into life with both the club and the city.

"That [Betis] want me to stay makes me proud, but the clubs are in control of this," he said. "It is not up to me. It is 50-50 at the moment.

"For me I am very happy with my first year. I have played a lot, although I am aware I can give a lot more. The level there is very high, but I have fitted in pretty well. I like the city, the climate and I am relaxed there. It has been a very productive personal and footballing experience."Pepe Mel's side travel to La Liga's bottom side Real Mallorca on Monday night, knowing a win will all but assure the verdiblancos a return to European football after eight seasons away.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport...QwVwWKYHtfH.99
    Last edited by Karl; May 20, 2013, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
      Koscielny and Mertesacker at the centre of Arsenal revival

Author: Chaitanya Goparaju Published : 20 May 2013 11:30:41 256 Views0 Comments

Rss feed comments
      More

</DIV>

As Arsenal have won their final match of the season against Newcastle, and are relived to not miss out on Champions League in next season, tribute should be paid to the center-back pairing of the Frenchman Laurent Koscielny and the German Per Mertesacker who now hold a fine record of overseeing Arsenal to 17 consecutive matches unbeaten when playing together.

The pair also get involved sometimes on offense too as Koscienly helped their cause against Newcastle by scoring the solitary goal of the game, with the ball headed to him by none other than Per himself, and Arsenal eked out another 1-0 victory this season. The tall Mertesacker and the tough and quick Koscielny balance each other well on the pitch. It is often said that strength of a team starts at the back and these two have been nearly perfect for Arsenal in keeping opposition quiet or subdued.

Per may not be the fastest in the League and cannot run down speedy forwards but he makes up for that by positioning himself well in tricky situations. He has also made the most appearances of any Arsenal defender this season and has also the most goals among them (Koscielny, Gibbs, Vermaelen, Sagna, Jenkinson, Monreal, Miquel, Santos), thus justifying Arsene Wenger’s immense faith in his play.

Arsenal has also ended the season with the 2nd best defensive record in term of goals conceded (only Manchester City has conceded fewer – 34 to Arsenal’s 39) which is a marked improvement from last season when they let in a staggering 49 into the net. It might be safe to say that Arsenal’s defensive frailty has been resolved to some extent and with the likes of Jenkinson waiting in the wings, the future looks bright. It will be interesting to see if Wenger will be bringing in players to further shore up the back line and establish a consistent back four who can combine speed with guile to thwart teams day in day out.

Arsenal’s transfer market acquisitions will surely play a huge role in their aspirations next season. While it has been defense that has let down in crucial games this season, Arsenal’s inability to strike in decisive situations has also been their undoing. Next season holds the key, now that Champions League play is guaranteed and it will be an intriguing summer to say the least!
      Hey...Hey...Hey... ...no need to pad the cause by misstatements!
      1) There have been telling help provided the wing backs. Leaving that out is unfair.

The wing backs (..and wayward opposition forwards) contributed significantly to that defensive record. Look no further than that last Newcastle match.

2) Per Mertesacker did not head that final pass to Koscielny!!!

The back pairing did brilliantly but cho man nuh... no need to...!!!!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Hey...Hey...Hey... ...no need to pad the cause by misstatements!
        1) There have been telling help provided the wing backs. Leaving that out is unfair.

The wing backs (..and wayward opposition forwards) contributed significantly to that defensive record. Look no further than that last Newcastle match.

2) Per Mertesacker did not head that final pass to Koscielny!!!

The back pairing did brilliantly but cho man nuh... no need to...!!!!
        Sorry boss, however i have started a campaign.
        It is called "Get Karl to love Mertersacker"

Comment

You misunderstand Dunny - I love his reading of the game and his positioning. I just long for two more at our GUNNERS with those of his excellent attributes plus being able to really jump and are fast...lightning fast!!!

...and Walcott - I wish he would be a professional - give maximum effort - in all our games. If he did I know of one game - I will never forget his giving up on tracking back and allowing us to lose 1 love in a game this season. - we would have won and others we would have done better.

If I was in his body - many more are the goals I would cause my TEAM to score and many more are the balls my TEAM would win!!!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Wudda! Shudda! Cudda!
            This guy could have been under Jamaica Players Agent guide. Was offered the player!!!

Comment

Wudda! Shudda! Cudda!
              This guy could have been under Jamaica Players Agent guide. Was offered the player!!!
              Wow!! He has the potential to make a good career!

Comment

Convergence of Acts - inclusive of non-action - made the meeting of the minds slip away. Just life!

Comment

Arsenal chief Ivan Gazidis says club in healthy position

Last Updated: May 20, 2013 8:59pm

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis maintains the club is in a healthy position to deliver success
                  Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis maintains the club is in a healthy position to deliver Arsene Wenger's transfer targets - and a first trophy for eight years.

Having finished the season in fine form, with a ticket to the final qualifying round for the Champions League safely secured, Gazidis is now determined to help the club achieve tangible success.

"It is important to reiterate that for everyone at the club, qualification for the Champions League is not our ultimate ambition," he told the club's website.
                  "Our majority owner Mr Kroenke has made it clear that while it's an achievement to make the Champions League, our ultimate objective is to win the major trophies.

"We all share that clear ambition and will be driving the club forward to achieve it.

"Arsene and I have already been planning what we need to do to strengthen so we are better placed next season.

"One thing is certain - the club is in a very strong position to move forward and our form of losing just one of our last 16 Premier League matches shows that we have a solid foundation on which to build for success."
                  Last edited by Karl; May 20, 2013, 04:40 PM.

Comment

...and Jack Wilshere

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/vide...tball/8724830/

Comment

Sanogo: “Arsenal Is My Choice” – French Starlet Confirms Gunners Move

By mac14 on May 21, 2013
                      Arsenal are set to complete their first summer signing after French starlet Yaya Sanogo confirmed he’s chosen to join the Gunners this summer.
                      We’ve been heavily linked with a move for the young Auxerre striker in recent months and boss Arsene Wenger revealed last week in his pre-match press conference ahead of the Newcastle game that a deal for the 20-year-old was close.

But speaking to Sky Sports News, Sanogo has also confirmed he’s elected to follow in the footsteps of Abou Diaby and move to north London where he hopes to improve under the tutelage of Wenger.
                      “Arsenal could be a great club for me, I scored nine goals this season with Auxerre and they think I can improve my level in England,” he told Sky Sports.
                      “I am pleased to be following in the footsteps of Abou Diaby who came through from Auxerre.
                      “There are many teams interested in me, but Arsenal is my choice.”
                      Many fans are rightly excited about the world-class names being linked with Arsenal at the minute. Today we’re understood to be in talks over a potential £24.5m deal to sign Stevan Jovetic and other reports claim we’re lining-up a £19m move for Gonzalo Higuain.
                      While it’s vital we bring in players of that caliber this summer , it’s also important to plan for the future and Sanogo could prove to be an astute buy. He’s young and extremely talented from what I’ve seen of him, and a goal return of 9 in 11 games this season is impressive. The main concern is his injury record but he’s out of contract this summer, therefore we’ll only need to pay Auxerre compensation for him, so he’s certainly worth a punt.
                      So while we’re all dreaming about the big-money signings, lets not forget we also need to carry on our tradition of signing Europe’s best up-and-coming talent and unearthing hidden gems. Who knows, he could prove to be the next Nicolas Anekla. Welcome to Arsenal Yaya Sanogo. (I’m sure we can come up with some amazing songs for him with that name!)

Comment

What about the |€~€>}£{!!€{€€|##{**^%#€ ste in the midfield?? The ray parlour/vieira/petit

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

All Arsenal's goal for 2012/2013

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/al...s-in-20122013/

Comment

Podolski

Leading goalscorer Theo Walcott had 14 goals and 10 assists, Lukas Podolski added 11 goals and 10 assists, and in his first year Frenchmen Olivier Giroud had 11 goals and 3 assists.
                            Podolski - Most often substituted GUNNERS' player!

Comment

Podolski - Most often substituted GUNNERS' player!
                              Yep, his second season should be stronger after a decent first season.

Comment

Working...
                              X