Mattocks

Daley

Orville Higgins

Virgo

Daley

Mattocks

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

By Orville Higgins
    The squad for Jamaica's three upcoming World Cup qualifiers demonstrates that the coach is still keen on improving his squad, but even at this late hour is unsure of exactly who his best players are, and indeed what his best team is. There is no semblance of consistency in the selections, and at this point it's cause for concern.

For example, we started with Lovel Palmer at right back. Since then, we've tried Jermaine Taylor, Omar Daley and Lloyd Doyley in that role. Palmer, Taylor and Daley are not what you would call naturals in that position. I am convinced that none of those were any better than Xavian Virgo, who's almost been inexplicably sidelined for all of the qualifiers to date. Now Virgo is back, as well as Obrien Woodbine.

So from having to have makeshift people playing right back, we have now gone for two genuine ones. It's a good thing, but the question is, why now?
    I don't know that Virgo, for instance, has played any better in recent times than he has done in the not-so-distant past. In fact, I believe that Virgo had more impact and looked a more dangerous overlapping wingback while he was playing at Boys' Town.

Since going to Harbour View Virgo has looked okay, but he doesn't seem to be the same force in yellow and blue as when he was in red. Rumour had it that he switched from Boys' Town to Harbour View to enhance his chances of reselection. I don't know if this is true, but you have to now say, "Hmmmm!".

SHELTON OUT, Mattocks in
    The fact that there is no Luton Shelton is interesting. This is not a case of Shelton being injured. He has genuinely been left out. Up to a few weeks ago, Shelton seemed to be an automatic fixture. I would love to know the exact reasons why he has suddenly lost favour. The fact that he isn't getting goals is obvious, but there are other strikers in the squad who aren't scoring either. Shelton is a senior player who is very influential among his peers. It's hard not to wonder if there might be something else at play here.

Good to see Darren Mattocks back, but again you wonder about the timing. Yes, his goalscoring form has looked a little better than a few weeks ago, but is that why he is in? Or is it because the coach now feels that Mattocks' punishment has been complete? One gets the feeling that Whitmore has picked Mattocks as much to appease the public as anything else.

I am among those who feel that Jermaine 'Tuffy' Anderson must feel as if he is unloved by the football gods. Not only is he our most feared striker, he was also the most outstanding player in the just-concluded Red Stripe League. I find it difficult to understand how the man who was voted the best player in a country's top system is incapable of finding his way into a 26-man squad.

TUFFY SHOULD BE IN THE MIX
    If for no other reason than to reward him, Tuffy should be in the mix. It doesn't matter if he was 40 years old. If he is good enough to be your best player in the league, age should never be a factor.

Keammar 'Dada' Daley makes his way back, belatedly I think. It wasn't so long ago that Dada was seen as being among the best playmakers around. He fell off the boil a little, but there was no way he should have been out of the loop for so long.

Jevaughn Watson was tried for a long while in that creative midfield role. I like Jevaughn, but after a while it became obvious that he wasn't getting the job done.

If I have one problem with Whitmore, it is that it takes him too long to do the obvious. So, yes, for the most part I like the squad that's been called up, but I keep wishing that we would have selected these ballers earlier, rather than appear to be turning to them when our backs are against the wall.

Orville Higgins is a sportscaster and talk-show host at KLAS FM. Email feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

It appears that 'outsiders' take themselves too seriously

on having input or impact on selections to our National Squads. I am thinking the most 'outsiders' can do is bring players to the selectors attention...

...and when one considers the miniscule size of our island, even in that limited role of bringing players to the selectors attention...on local players it is debatable that there would be any player that the selectors are not familiar.

The 'outsiders' would have greatest impact on introducing the selectors to players plying their trade outside of Jamaica. The most that can reasonably be expected is piquing interest in the coaching staff/selectors to 'have a look' at player or players being promoted as being worthy of selection to improve our national TEAM.

Mosiah can hyperventilate as much as he wishes on a player's superior skills to any on the national team...or I can be as unconvinced as I wish to be on that player's suitability for representing us at the highest levels, it is the technical staff/coaching staff/selectors who shall decide on who 'gets in' or 'stays out'.

If our teams were being selected merely on the whim or assessments of 'outsiders' then GOD help us.
    Last edited by Karl; May 24, 2013, 09:14 AM. Reason: Corrections
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Is a good thing I am not an outsider.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That is better...
        There you go!!!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
        X