RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whitmore hits head - Premier League Irrelevant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitmore hits head - Premier League Irrelevant?

Whitmore hits head - Premier League Irrelevant?
    By Donald Smith

Whitmore and Capt. Burrell (Photo Courtesy of The Reggae Boyz Forum)
    It is clear to the blind that Theodore Whitmore and by extension the JFF have no clue as to what they are about.

It is clear to the blind that Theodore Whitmore and by extension the JFF have no clue as to what they are about.

I will be very brief in this piece as I highlight the “injustices” perpetrated by the above mentioned bodies.

In 2013 we see where yet again another top player has been left on the sidelines by a National Team Selection Group and you have to now wonder what is the rationale behind such exclusion.

Several commentators have raised questions as to the sense or lack thereof in leaving out one Jermaine “Tuffy” Anderson from the most recent squad of 26 players.

Anderson, who was recently not only named the leading goal scorer for the season, but also the most valuable player, could not even make the reserves for the national team.

Really now….is the Premier League that poor?

But, ah, the above can already be dismissed as the likes of Jermaine Hue and Joel Senior, both of Harbour View have donned the National Colours in recent time, lending support to the argument that the league has some talent.

However, lets stick a pin!!!

If Anderson can stand out in the nation’s top flight football league, why not invite him to prove himself on the National Stage?

Time and time again, we see where players are invited, and seldom used and if used at all are pretty much given a basket to carry water as was the case with Tuffy at the most recent failed campaign for the Caribbean Cup.

This is also not the first time such an issue is at the forefront of sporting debate, as there were previous cases involving the likes of Roen Nelson (Portmore United), Kevin Lamey (Waterhouse FC) and Devon Hodges (Rivoli FC) all top strikers in their prime who were never given a consistent nod by the National Selectors.

Whitmore has yielded several times to the public since becoming head coach. Remember the calls for Hue and then Mattocks who he has re-invited to the squad and also the once talked about Kemar “Dada” Daley?

Can or will Whitmore finally settle on a side, instead of this every match change haphazard situation which currently exists?

Your guess is as good as mine.

I close by going back to the point at hand.

My questions to the JFF and indeed to Whitmore are simple.

If we cannot include our Nation’s best player in a 26 man squad for the Senior Reggae Boyz team, does it then make sense to have a local Premier League? Is it worth the sponsors’ time and money? What message are we sending to our youth who are looking at football as a means out of poverty? Are we saying if you play locally, you may as well go learn a trade?

As the Dub Poet group “Nomaddz” puts it in its song “Sort Out Yuh Life Jamaica” I put it to the powers that be that they need to “Sort Out Demself, before things head South.”

Again, these are my few….now what say you?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Some man from the league have the skillet to play intl ball. I don't think the slow decision making, take long to turn with the ball Tuffy is one of those players. At the same time I don't think theo Robinson is either.

Mosiah, what are your thoughts on Stephen Williams from PMU?

Comment

The problem with the NPL is, the manner of play. Is as you have said - It is too slow - slow at adapting to "best practices". The aim must be to improve the play to nearest 'top international standards. It has nothing to do with playing surfaces or lack of funding...but everything to do with coaching at levels below the NPL and at the NPL level not being at or moving rapidly towards 'top quality'.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

How exactly was Tuffy given "a basket to carry water" at the Caribbean Cup?

Comment

I always wonder how some players like "take long to turn Tuffy" still produces more goals than anyone else in the league, yet the others are selected over him?!?

It's like that argument against Maestro. He does nothing well or fast enough yet he is more effective than all the pretenders and their fathers combined!

Stephen Williams? Is that One Left? Not consistent enough and a bit of a brucky boo. What you think?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Which other forward from the RSPL has been selected? You and this ridiculous Tuffy campaign...

Comment

Is one campaign mi have and even that has run its course.

I am not on a Tuffy campaign.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What position Jeremy Lynch plays?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Striker

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Williams need to simplify his game. Does have the ability to score some extraordinary goals, but as you said is not consistent. Reminds me a bit of Tremaine, when Tremaine took a lot longer to let go the ball than he does now.

If it was just finishing Tuffy would be in my team, but then so would deon burton.

Comment

Williams became predictable, with all that skill he possesses.

Tuffy is a better finisher than Burton. Better shot with either foot, better header...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Just make sure you or whoever sort out him potential USL move.

Comment

I think he is the best one to deal with that himself!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Wonder who were his supporting 'basket to carry water' supporting players?
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Oh. And Anderson, what position does be play?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X