Raheem Sterling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raheem Sterling

EXCLUSIVE: Raheem targets summer in Rio after rollercoaster year at Liverpool

By Sami Mokbel
    PUBLISHED:22:30, 26 May 2013| UPDATED:07:33, 27 May 2013 24 shares
    View
    comments

Raheem Sterling is a fast learner — he’s had to be.
    The Liverpool teenager has yet to complete a full senior season, but his career has already been full of twists and turns.
    There have been the highs: making his first start for Liverpool — as a 17-year-old — in a 2-2 draw against Manchester City, and being handed a senior England debut by head coach Roy Hodgson.

Rollercoaster: Raheem Sterling has enjoyed an up and down full season at Liverpool

But there have been significant lows, too. The serious thigh injury that ruled him out of the final months of last season and this summer’s European Under-21 Championships.
    And last week, a court case over allegations of assault were dropped after the prosecutor offered no evidence against Sterling.
    Key member: Sterling was one of the first names on the Liverpool team sheet before his thigh injury

The allegations were thrown out of court last week after the prosecutor offered no evidence against the forward.
    So, you’d have forgiven Sterling for breathing a massive sigh of relief during this candid interview at the plush Wembley Hilton Hotel last Friday.
    But there was nothing of the sort from the 18-year-old. He’s only interested in learning from the ordeal.
    ‘As your profile gets bigger, the more public attraction you get and the more people try to take advantage of you,’ said Sterling.
    ‘You have to know who you are talking to. As I grow up, I learn from my past.

‘People try to become hangers on. When you see someone you don’t really know and they are trying to be your friend then you have to be careful.
    ‘When you haven’t done anything wrong but you still have to go to court, it’s something you don’t want to hear.
    ‘Just because you’re a footballer, people want to make you a target. That’s the way of life (for a footballer).

‘People try to portray me as a bad person, but that isn’t fair. I’m glad it’s all over now.

‘I just try to keep myself to myself, keep my head down and become more mature.’
    Sterling isn’t your typical teenager. You only have to spend five minutes in his company to recognise that.
    He speaks with maturity beyond his 18 years - but he’s had to grow up quickly. You have to when your rise to prominence has been as rapid as it has been for Sterling.
    But after his breakthrough campaign, there are no self-congratulatory pats on the back. Just a steely determination to fulfil his huge potential.

International honours: Sterling made his England debut as a 17-year-old in the 2-2 draw with Sweden

‘I know can still improve. I need to relax more on the pitch, I’m sure that will come with age and experience.

‘I want to start contributing a lot more in terms of goals and assists. But as young player I just want to take it my stride.
    ‘I don’t get carried away with the hype. I just want to show people I’m a decent player.
    ‘I try not to listen too much to what some people say. You can have good days, you can have bad days, so I just try to focus on my game and see what I can improve.’

Exciting: Sterling won rave reviews for his exciting wing play

A season-ending thigh injury halted Sterling’s progress towards the end of last term.
    He still isn’t completely over the problem and faces a busy summer to ensure he can hit the ground running at the start of pre-season.
    Sterling will be a regular at Liverpool’s Melwood HQ over the next month as he undergoes a specifically-devised training plan.
    Disappointment: Sterling has had to pull, out of the England Under 21 European Championships

But that doesn’t bother him in the slightest.
    ‘The injury is getting better, it’s disappointing I can’t make the Under-21 European Championships in Israel but I’m just trying to make sure I’m fit and sharp for the start of pre-season,’ he said.
    ‘I’m around two months into my rehabilitation and I’m in over the summer. I might get about a week’s break, so it will be tough.

‘But it will be worth it for the coming season. I wasn’t even looking forward to having a break, really.

‘I was really looking forward to playing in the Euros for the U21s. I wanted to show what I could do at that level and show the senior manager that I can play in tournament football.’
    Sterling needn’t worry too much about his international chances, though.

Roy Hodgson has already identified the youngster as a key part of England’s future, his decision to hand Sterling his senior debut as a 17-year-old against Sweden last November is testament to that.
    The FA have moved quickly to secure Sterling’s services given his Jamaican heritage.

In theory, the forward can still opt to play for his country of birth given he has not yet played a competitive international for England.
    But Hodgson and the FA can breathe easy.

Committed: Sterling is committed to playing for England, despite eligibility with Jamaica

‘There’s been a bit of doubt in the past. But I’m definitely committed to England,’ confessed Sterling.

‘I grew up in their youth system and I feel at home now. It’s exciting to be part of the England set-up, we’ve got some great young players.

‘As a young player growing up, you want to be playing for England. You want to push yourself to play. Hopefully in the coming season I can prove I can play at the top level.’
    Do that, Raheem, and you’ll be facing another summer without a break next year.
    How does Rio de Janeiro sound?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz2UUANETJY
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Oh gawd!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Why? which part elicits that response? all of the article? anything in particular?
      Peter R

Comment

a Mo that enuh. LOL
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What's with the Little Richard hair-did?!!??!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            What's with the Little Richard hair-did?!!??!
            Good Golly Miss Molly, you're right!

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
            - Xavi

Comment

I am more concerned about this:

Comment

Zeppo, did you just call me Miss Molly?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The forum full a comedians to rhatid. LOL
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Zeppo, did you just call me Miss Molly?!?!
                    Would you have preferred Long Tall Sally?

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                    - Xavi

Comment

Bet you never had two pickney at age 17 though ...
                      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
                        Would you have preferred Long Tall Sally?

I don't know that chune. Sing a couple lines for me, please.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"Long Tall Sally"

I don't know that chune. Sing a couple lines for me, please.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFFgbc5Vcbw

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                            Bet you never had two pickney at age 17 though ...
                            Bet there was ZERO possibility of that until him was 40!!! LOL!!!

"H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Sterling work! Winger puts in the hard yards to regain fitness days before Liverpool team-mates return

By Paul Collins
                              PUBLISHED:12:46, 26 June 2013| UPDATED:13:13, 26 June 2013 29 shares
                              View
                              comments

After the disappointment of seeing his breakthrough season cut short by injury, Raheem Sterling is clearly raring to go again.

Four days before most of his Liverpool team-mates head back to Melwood for their first day of pre-season training, the 18-year-old winger was pictured working hard to regain his fitness following the thigh injury that has kept him out of action since March.
                              Sterling still isn’t completely over the thigh problem and faces a busy summer to ensure he can hit the ground running at the start of Liverpool's pre-season, which kicks off with a friendly at Preston on July 13.

Pre-season starts here: Raheem Sterling was back in training at Liverpool's Melwood HQ on Wednesday

Big season ahead: The 18-year-old winger will be eyeing a spot with England at the World Cup next summer

He will be a regular at Liverpool’s Melwood HQ over the next month as he undergoes a specifically-devised training plan.
                              But Sterling was back working hard - and sporting a new haircut - on Wednesday morning ahead of what is expected to be a big season for the Jamaican-born star.
                              Roy Hodgson has already identified the youngster as a key part of England’s future - his decision to hand Sterling his senior debut as a 17-year-old against Sweden last November is testament to that.
                              And the FA have moved quickly to secure Sterling’s services given his Jamaican heritage.
                              In theory, the forward can still opt to play for his country of birth given he has not yet played a competitive international for England. But Hodgson and the FA can breathe easy with Sterling having pledged his future to the Three Lions.

Breaking into the team is another thing entirely, especially considering Sterling was forced to miss an audition at the European Under 21 Championship is Israel earlier this summer.

But a flying start to the season with his club should see him book a spot in Hodgson's squad.
                              LIverpool's real action starts with their opening Barclays Premier League game against Stoke at Anfield on August 17.
                              And Sterling will soon get a chance to impress Hodgson when champions Manchester United visit Merseyside on August 31.

Star of the future: Sterling was promoted by Brendan Rodgers last season and quickly marked himself out

First of many: Raheem Sterling on his England debut against Sweden in November

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz2XKamTYYO
                              Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X