Shelton dropped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelton dropped

Shelton dropped - Reggae Boyz leading all-time scorer axed from crucial World Cup matches

Published: Tuesday | May 28, 2013

Marc Stamp, Gleaner Writer
    Jamaica's all-time leading goalscorer Luton Shelton was dropped for the crucial upcoming CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying (WCQ) games against Mexico and the USA here next month.

Shelton, who has scored 35 goals in 73 appearances wearing the national colours, was not named in a 26-man squad for a training camp in The Bahamas and practice game against English Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur. The training camp was cut short following the cancellation of the friendly game against The Bahamas.

The team returned home on Sunday night and held a training session with only nine players at the Jamaica Football Federation Training Centre at the University of the West Indies, Mona, yesterday.

"Luton Shelton was a decision by the coach to drop him," Alfredo Montesso, Jamaica men's senior team assistant coach, said while addressing the media at training.

Head coach Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore was not at the training session.

Enough strikers
    "We have four strikers in the team, and that is enough," Montesso added. "We have Ryan Johnson, Darren Mattocks, Theo Robinson and Jermaine Beckford."

Jamaica will tackle CONCACAF giants Mexico in the first of three crucial encounters in the Hexagonal - the final stage of CONCACAF WCQ - at the National Stadium on June 4, then challenge the United States of America (USA) on June 7. They will then travel to Honduras for a game in that country on June 11.

"It is very important that we win those three games and get nine points. We will go for a win against Mexico, as we did very well against them in the first game at the Azteca Stadium in February. We expect nothing but a win here," Montesso boldly declared.

Some of the overseas players who were in The Bahamas returned to their clubs for various reasons. They are expected back soon, starting tomorrow, with the full squad expected to be available by May 31.

However, long-time Reggae Boyz defenders Jermaine Taylor and Demar Phillips will also miss the encounters because of injuries. Taylor had a dislocated shoulder and was not named in the original squad, while Phillips pulled a hamstring. Winger Dane Richards was also ruled out because of injury.

Meanwhile, Germany-born Daniel Gordon, who plays in central defence and midfield, is expected to make his debut in the match next Tuesday.

The full squad is: Alvas Powell, Xavian Virgo, Jermaine Hue, Richard McCallum, O'Brian Woodbine, Damion Williams, Montrose Phinn, Jermie Lynch, Evan Taylor, Jermaine Johnson, Keammar Daley, André Blake, Daniel Gordon, Darren Mattocks, Rodolph Austin, Joel 'Jobi' McAnuff, Adrian Mariappa, Garath McLeary, Donovan Ricketts, Dwayne Miller, Theo Robinson, Marvin Elliott, Ryan Johnson and Jermaine Beckford.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports1.html
    Last edited by Karl; May 28, 2013, 11:09 AM.

How do you drop the country's most prolific striker?!?

Have the other strikers been more effective recently?

There has to be more to this story.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Why do we need four goalkeepers in the squad?

Ricketts, Miller, Blake and McCallum.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

mi tell unnu bout the Tappa policy. Man just get left out for nothing, next thing he is a starter and expect to win the game.

Respect Tappa but nuh like how sometimes him just left people outa grass so.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Them a go fi experience .
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

On what basis is Jermie Lynch selected? He's not even in double figures for the season. This hap hazard way players are selected has to end.

Is Jermie Lynch > Shelton or even Tuffy for that matter who has scored 13 more goals.

smh @ Tappa
            Attached Files

Comment

Jermie Lynch missed around 2 months because of injury. Since returning, he has been lethal.

Nope, this is not a campaign for Lynch!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Does he deserve a call up in your opinion?

Comment

Yes!

And yuh want to know another thing - time to get rid of some of the non-producing UB40s!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I have been saying it for a while..Tappa is clueless. His selection of players is nothing short of madness...We have about 8 local players in the squad now...how many of them we had in prior games? What have they done over the last few months that make them more deserving of a call up? I don't have a problem with calling up the local players but for God sake be consitent...You know the weak areas of the team...have local players in camp an groom them to fill into slots where you are short of players....Why we only have one left back...don't have a sure rightback and hardly can find a backup for Nugsy...Defence is one of the places you want to have locked down from early..clueless Tappa....and before anyone throw out his record...just think, how much better we could be if we we had someone better. Now, we go into three tough games without solid defence and replacements....a squad filled with midfield players, attackers and goalkeepers (we plan to play two each game)
                    Players I think definitely should be in the squad:
                    Doyley
                    Palmer
                    Daley
                    One or both of Davis or Stewart...
                    Dunce head Tappa..we need some defenders

Comment

I am confused like most as it relates to Shelton. The country's leading goalscorer left out for players who are neither prolific for country or club...!

Comment

have U seen Lynch last few league games ?

Comment

From the list of strikers I selected....This is my pick
                          Johnson
                          Beckford
                          Shelton
                          Mattocks

I don't see what Robinson does that gives him slection over Shelton..I'm not a big Shelton fan but when he is on the field things there is usually opportunities to score...Can't the coaching staff work with him on his conversion...please remind me what is Tappa's shop again....I say it's to Fog up the place with all the bad selections.....and while the season is over for so many....we have a week til our first game and the now match rusty players prob won't make it to camp til friday......we not serious and that's why we prob won't get good sponsors....patti shop

Comment

Originally posted by Plush View Post
                            ...patti shop
                            bread shop.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

We dont need Shelton , good move Tappa, he is **** poor ! racking up double digits against Bahamas is very deceptive , what should be looked at is our shuffling defence and midfield.
                              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
                              X