Arsenal teenager - We're trained to be weaklings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arsenal teenager - We're trained to be weaklings

Arsenal youngster Anthony Jeffrey has highlighted some possible problems with the way the club’s youngsters are being coached.

Anthony Jeffrey, an 18-year-old midfielder, had a very brief spell with League One side Stevenage last season but it’s a spell, which he’s admitted opened his eyes to some big problems with Arsenal’s youth team.

The problem seems to relate to the way Arsenal’s younger players train, with Jeffrey stating that he’d never experienced anything like the physical strength and demands he was put through in basic training with the League One club.

It’s a remarkable statement considering Arsenal are one of the best teams in the world and play a brand of football, which many other sides can only dream of but are they really doing something wrong with the way they train younger players?

“I was one of the strongest at Arsenal yet I am a weakling compared to the guys at Stevenage – I will certainly be fitter and stronger when I leave,” he told an Arsenal magazine.

What you have to bear in mind with these comments is the very different nature of the way football is played at Arsenal’s standard and at League One’s general standard.

At Arsenal, a player needs to be much more subtle than someone who can just bully his way around a pitch.

There is nothing wrong with Arsenal’s style of football and the youngsters are brought up along the same lines of pass and move, which have worked so well for Wenger throughout his years at the club.

Arsenal are also a very good indication of where football is going at the top level of the game. Teams are getting smaller as contact becomes more and more restricted, taking that emphasis away from the physical side of the game.

If Arsenal coached their players at a League One standard, they would be at a disadvantage against all of the other top youth teams across England and Europe.

Stevenage need to be more physical because League One is a more physical division. There is a smaller gap in terms of quality between the teams, which means any physical advantage can be very important.

Fitter, bigger and stronger teams can have success in League One because there isn’t that gulf in quality, in terms of football, between the top sides and the side coming up from League Two.

It’s only natural that someone from Arsenal who has been coached in a certain way his whole life, will struggle when he’s thrown into a squad where those players have only ever known the weight room and extreme physical fitness.

Jeffrey is well within his rights to comment on the differences between in the way the two clubs train but his implication that Arsenal’s methods are not as full on or effective as Stevenage’s methods is fundamentally flawed.

What do you make of his comments? Are Arsenal youngsters trained in the right way?
    http://hereisthecity.com/2013/05/28/...be-weaklings/?

Well...wouldn't it be great if he was also strong as an Ox along with having the Arsenal type technical and tactical skills? - Right?

We need to have players who are - Fast as bullet! Can jump higher than any other player! ...with all the skills we hold dear...in short perfect players!

...point is, the little man is short on maturity and if he meant to imply that the Arsenal way was not the way to go then he would have missed the boat. Hope he does not throw all the Arsenal attributes out the window and end up being a clumsy, bumbling, strong player.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I posted this in 2010......

Shawcross should not have been red-carded. The foul was not malicious. Actually, it was not even a foul in the first place. Ramsey, unfortunately, came out the worse from a 50/50 tackle. Arsenal and Wegner whine too much. His problem is that he sends out boys to play against big men and expect the other teams to treat his players like the boys they are. When they get hurt, he complains. These players inexperiences are what is causing their many injuries because they are playing against veterans. Also, if Wegner has his players practising one-touch ball all the time in training without being pressured, then how does he expect them to react when faced with big physical teams? Fiberglass is feeding into the propoganda that his coach is feeding the team. There is a reason why Fergie will have the younger players in the reserve team for years before sending them out to face the big men. Arsne and Fiberglass need to shut up and play. This is football, not Jacks.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

mmmm?
        ...only one player I can think of as definitely acting puny or acting the little girl - Theo Walcott!

...but others are warriors - our defenders - all used this season. The French striker, Giroud. The German striker, Podolski. Santi Carloza the midfielder. Ramsey and Wilshere have stood up to massive hits...Arteta...and I could go on and on...
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

OK let me address a number of issues.

Shola, that video of Shawcross and Ramsey does not help you, actually it proves MY point that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the tackle. As a matter of fact, it also shows that it was more of a 55/45 in Shawcross's favor. Ramsey just came off the worse. I see where Shawcross was given a 3 match ban and Wegner is still complaining. I think Pullis and Stoke should appeal the ban and try to get the red card rescinded. The other video of Shawcross and Adebayor, shows a mistimed tackle which deserves a red card. However, it should not be used to argue a trait because ALL defenders are guilty of mistimed tackles. Lazie raised a point earlier about a Gallas challenge which went unpunished. I don't hear any bleating from you Arsenal fans.

Let me amend my earlier statement about age. I think Arsenal's reason for their many injuries is down to their training methods. It is obvious that they don't practise physical roughhousing in their training sessions. They spend a lot of time fine-tuning the art of one-touch passing and movement and forget about that football IS a physical sport. Teams like Bolton, Stoke,Hull, etc. don't go out of their way to play Arsenal physically. THAT IS THEIR STYLE. The Empire and Chelsea have mastered the art of combining physical play with ball artistry. Arsenal is yet to do the same with this crop of players. The Invincibles had Martin Keown, and the dirtiest of them all Viera who would "put-it-on" on their opponents. It all starts in the training sessions. Just recently, last week, there were reports out of the Empire's camp that Vidic was incurring the wrath of his fellow teammates for aggressive play. Just last week Sky Sports reported that England held a collective breath after Rooney went down after a Darren Gibson's challenge. Arsenal players are just too soft. Wegner needs to take a page out of David Moyes' book and stop complaining. No coach has suffered more from injuries to his squad than Moyes, and you've never heard him complaining. He just gets on with the game.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
          X