RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Podolski vs Creativity - How does Arsene fit them both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Podolski vs Creativity - How does Arsene fit them both?

source http://www.arsenalvision.co.uk/

Good afternoon all,
    I trust you are doing swell. I mean how could you not BE after grabbing a taste of some football after quick withdrawal symptoms from the Arsenal?
    Before kick off for the England game, I tweeted that I was looking forward to the match and that if it wasn't for continuous disruptions to our domestic season then I would probably enjoy these games a lot more, by the time the final whistle blew I quickly realised why these games are of very little interest to me.
    It is not the fact that I have to side with the likes of Wayne Rooney and Ashley Cole, I think I could see past that for the most part as long as they are not John Terry but in fact because they seriously bore me to tears.

I cannot tell you the amount of times I have been fooled into thinking 'hang on, this could be a good game' only to have thrown away 90 precious minutes of my life.

That said, I understand and appreciate those who love watching their country and even better if they enjoy doing so.

Now if I was German then I could feel somewhat different, the Germans with our very own Lukas Podolski struck the first goal before 10 seconds against Ecuador.
    Podolski robbed their centre back to slot past the keeper. Lukas scored a second, a sweet half volley across the keeper. I enjoy watching the Germans and their strength in depth is astonishing.

After watching Lukas Podolski I found myself asking the same questions once more. What on earth to do with Lukas Podolski?

I may be harshly judging him but during his first season he has been a limited but clinical goal scorer and not a great deal more in my opinion. That sounds harsh but I cannot shake that off. But that said, Ljungberg was pretty limited yet he was vital to probably our best team ever. What I do believe though is that you cannot ignore goalscorers, they need to find a way into your team.
    I go back to another question I have asked many times last season. Do you opt for goal scoring over creativity on the left? It seems likely that Cazorla was moved to the left and Rosicky brought into the centre to add creativity that was missing often last season.

If you play two wide forwards like Theo Walcott and Lukas Podolski then you need space in behind the opposition to be dangerous, if that space is denied then you need your wide forwards to make either their own chances or make chances for others. Do you see those two cutting inside and sliding through runners? Or contributing to moving the ball quickly? I don't.

On paper the front three of Walcott, Giroud and Podolski looked great and their statistics would back that up but in practice watching it at times could be painful, mainly against teams who knew how to defend properly.

Last season is history so I am interested to see how Arsene solves this issue. Lukas Podolski isn't a central striker to me even if he can finish like one. Arsene needs to incorporate sufficient creativity but also keep his goal scorers on the pitch.

If Arsene is to delve into the market for added creativity then I would expect Tomas Rosicky to be replaced as much as I love him, but that does not solve the problem of playing both Lukas, Theo, Santi and one more creative player in the same side.

One possible way of incorporating that extra creativity would be a change of player at centre forward. Rather than the Giroud style focal point, Arsene could revert back to the 9.5 style of forward. The type to drop off the front and create chances for others as well as score goals. It would explain the rumoured interest in someone like Jovetic and even *puke* Wayne Rooney. It would also mean that the likes of Villa and Higuain would be of little interest.

Then again, that depends on Arsene's view of Giroud. Does he see Oliver Giroud as first and long term choice in the Arsenal starting 11. Time will tell I guess and we will know more once the transfer merry go round gets under way. It was that subject that was supposed to be on the agenda today but Podolski has made me go off course.

Plenty of time to go into that though as we are football-less over the coming weeks.

With that, I bid you goodbye until the next time.

I taped the England match and watched live the German match.
    ...and it is as I said - Podolski? Pure striker!!!

...but the author of the above post lies. Podolski is also creative. He creates chances for others as well as takes them with aplomb. ...do not misunderstand, he is not of the creative type of a Santi or Rosicky. He merely moves well...passes well...plays TEAM...and consistently assists on goals...and himself puts the ball in the back of the goal regularly!!! Proved it again in that German match where both himself and his team-mates never even bothered to get out of cruising gear.

I am convinced he is 'miles' better than Giroud. The problem - Podolski needs playing time. Those 70 min (or thereabout) runs is just not it!atch
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Nice post Skeng. Karl, Podolski is a goalscorer and also create goals, however Giroud offer more upfront as the focal point of the 3 strikers. Podolski do not hold the ball up well enough and does not work as hard as Giroud. I think his best position would be playing off a main striker in a 4-4-2 formation. Arsenal plays 4-4-3 so that is where the problem lie

Comment

Funny

4 4 3 cannot be an option unless u play with no keeper lol
        "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

Originally posted by PeeJay View Post
          4 4 3 cannot be an option unless u play with no keeper lol
          Nice one Peejay Dat deh system is keeperless to rahtid, i stand corrected 4-3-3 it is Boss!!

Comment

Working...
          X