• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunny this is how I saw it ..Hue was given directives

Terrible in attack, defence — Stewart

BY SANJAY MYERS Observer staff reporter myerss@jamaicaobserver.com

Thursday, June 06, 2013

ATTACK, attack, attack... or rather the lack of it, was the bane of the Reggae Boyz during Tuesday's 0-1 defeat to CONCACAF rivals Mexico, according to noted local club coach Nigel Stewart.

Cellar team Jamaica, on two points from four matches, have scored only once in this final phase of CONCACAF Qualifiers.

Jamaica’s central defender Daniel Gordon (second right) heads the ball away from Mexico’s captain Javier Rodriquez, as teammate Diego Reyes (left) looks on along with Jamaica’s Marvin Elliott (partly hidden) and Adrian Mariappa (# 19) during Tuesday night’s contest at the National Stadium. (PHOTO: GARFIELD ROBINSON)

1/1

Stewart's comment on the matter was short and direct.

"Right now Jamaica has a goal-scoring problem!" he exclaimed.

While a defensive breakdown allowed Aldo De Nigris to nod home Mexico's second-half winner in the World Cup qualifying match at the National Stadium, Stewart threw the spotlight on the home team's "terrible" attacking performance.

"I think we were as terrible in attack as we were in defence. We played 90-odd minutes of football and we possessed the ball somewhat, but I don't know what went wrong in terms of shooting (the ball at goal). There was no one who took responsibility to shoot," he bemoaned.

The former spearhead of the Sporting Central Academy FC technical staff said while forward Ryan Johnson worked tirelessly in a 4-5-1 formation employed by head coach Theodore Whitmore, the powerful player was too often left isolated in attack.

Stewart also felt that midfield maestro Jermaine Hue, who was given a playmaking role behind the central striker, was "too defensive".

"Johnson held up the ball well, but the help didn't reach him quickly enough. I thought Jermaine Hue was playing a bit too defensively... I wanted him higher up the pitch. Too many times he got the ball to make passes within 10 yards of the halfway line. He had more tackling on his mind than playing freely.

"I'm not saying the 4-5-1 was all that bad a formation, but for me, we are at home and needed to win, so I would use two forwards from the outset. We knew Mexico had to come at us, but we needed to win. I thought we should have been more offensive, so we shouldn't just go with one forward," he said.

Stewart said that though the CONCACAF giants are good opponents, they were there for the taking. He reasoned that Jamaica's cagey approach in attack gave the visitors added confidence.

"I would give them (the Mexicans) credit, yes. Mexico is a quality team... they are a good team, so don't get me wrong. But I don't think they are that much of a powerhouse as they used to be. After the first half, seeing that we weren't hurting them, they came out and played their natural game. They were as much as tentative as us in the first half," Stewart said.

He added that the Reggae Boyz's start to the encounter belied what was to come and shared that he believes the team "relaxed" and lost its shape in the second stanza.

"There isn't much to say about us doing well last (Tuesday) night. I think they (Jamaica) started out playing not bad, to me. They looked organised at first, but I think that they are not cohesive (and) they are not gelling together as yet.

"They were supporting each other, they were passing the ball around. I'm not sure if it was early in the game why it looked that way. They started out playing like they have been together for a long time, but as the game went on all of that broke down.

"In the second half we just relaxed. In the first half we never did badly, so we just relaxed and came out with a different frame of mind. Everybody was all over the place (in the) second half," he said.

Meanwhile, the coach, who won the Under-21 title with Sporting Central two seasons ago, said he was also let down by the Jamaican defensive unit, which was lacking a few key players due to injury.

The resultant changes meant that the previously untried and the evidently unfamiliar back four of O'brian Woodbine, teenager Alvas Powell, Daniel Gordon and Adrian Mariappa were thrown in at the deep end. On several occasions their positioning was found wanting.

"I don't think we were talking a lot in the game in terms of shouting or picking up (opposing players) there or whatever. I think the two youngsters, Woodbine and Alvas Powell, I don't think they did badly... (but) having two inexperienced wingbacks at all times, we should have ensured they were where they were supposed to be.

"Other older players are seeing the game and saw that Alvas was caught out a couple of times. Everybody is supposed to know by now that Mexico is a team that uses width. We also see where we outnumbered the opponents in the (defensive 18-yard) box and yet they came out with a goal," he lamented.

According to Stewart, Whitmore and company should have gone with more experienced wingbacks instead of Woodbine and Powell.

"I think they (the coaching staff) should have gone for two more experienced people — I don't know where they are — knowing that Mexico like to come down both flanks. Playing the two youngsters at this critical time, I don't think it was wise," he said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2VQuVNGE9
    Last edited by Karl; June 6, 2013, 10:02 AM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

I have never seen Hue play in such a defensive posture ,it seems that was the tactical ploy ,at home ?

Ridiculous ,we did the same crap vs Panama,it seems the coaching staff is on Roy Hodgson pay role,they expect to draw their way to Brazil.

No chemistry,no balls = defeat.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
      I have never seen Hue play in such a defensive posture ,it seems that was the tactical ploy ,at home ?

Ridiculous ,we did the same crap vs Panama,it seems the coaching staff is on Roy Hodgson pay role,they expect to draw their way to Brazil.

No chemistry,no balls = defeat.
      X, I have no problem with Hue in the team if the team is set up right, I did not have a major problem with his performance either. He had a steady game, was neat and tidy with his passing, however faded in the second half. What i do have a problem with is people believing that this one player can be the saviour of the Reggae Boyz or that this player is so exceptional that he should be an automatic choice. Hue is a player of good passing ability and if utilized properly can be an asset to the team. Watching the game on Tuesday night i noticed again our only real goal threat again was our holding midfielder Marvin Elliott from set peices, we did not create anything of note from open play and I put the blame squarely on Tappa and the Technical Director, the team is set up too defensively. The office holds no fear for any visiting teams recently and that's a damn shame. Jamaica have good enough players to be able to dominate teams at home but for whatever reason the coaches are not getting the best out of players.

Comment

thanks you sir. that is all I am saying.

You had 5 midfielders and none was dynamic in making runs. and one forward playing against 2 or 3 defenders. Recipe for Mexico to go forward. No matter how well Hue can pass he ball if the players are not making good runs he has to hold it up or pass it back.

We have to have more confidence in ourselves and put a few players who will take some chances going forward. We playing too defensive in our yard, that kind of game is for only when we go on the road.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Chances from open play?
          If you advance in the final 3rd have a good look at goal and do not shot...can that be counted as having "no chance"?

We had some of those good looks!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            thanks you sir. that is all I am saying.

You had 5 midfielders and none was dynamic in making runs. and one forward playing against 2 or 3 defenders. Recipe for Mexico to go forward. No matter how well Hue can pass he ball if the players are not making good runs he has to hold it up or pass it back.

We have to have more confidence in ourselves and put a few players who will take some chances going forward. We playing too defensive in our yard, that kind of game is for only when we go on the road.
            I even see people blaming Ryan Johnson that he can't play as a lone striker, rubbish, the man worked hard won things in the air, held the ball up and had no support whatsoever. Nuff man only criticise and do not understand the game.4-5-1 should become 4-3-3 when attacking, however the 2 wide players did not support the Ryan Johnson enough for my liking. And what was the point playing Watson as a wide midfielder/striker? The coaches dem joking out the thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
              I even see people blaming Ryan Johnson that he can't play as a lone striker, rubbish, the man worked hard won things in the air, held the ball up and had no support whatsoever. Nuff man only criticise and do not understand the game.4-5-1 should become 4-3-3 when attacking, however the 2 wide players did not support the Ryan Johnson enough for my liking. And what was the point playing Watson as a wide midfielder/striker? The coaches dem joking out the thing!
              Dunny: I have come to the conclusion that some of our fanz just put out deliberate misstatements. I think you are right on saying often "rubbish" is being said but I think some of it is not due to ignorance but deliberate misstatements.

Why?

Some of the local coaches I think have personal objectives....and so do some of our fanz.
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

All Mo and them a kick up, I am sure if you ask Jermaine Hue if he rather playing with 2 forward in front of him or with more mobile wide players in attack he would say a resounding yes.

I think we had too much of a defensive stance at home.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

@ Dunny

Agreed but Burrell should take the blame along with the coaching staff, I believe that defensive posture is born out of fear from lacking chemistry ,so Tappa reserves the team in that posture, understandable seeing so many changes to the starting 11.

That said we need to push up more in the attacking 3rd esp when in the office.

No chemistry + no confidence = ?

Comment

You want mi ti ask him?

That issue was never an issue for me, whether he would prefer one or two strikers. I just have a problem when people talk crap about the best player on the field not having an impact whatsoever.

But I am happy that you feel the coaching staff should ask Maestro who he wants on the field with him!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Now we might get some positive results if we just let the Maestro pick the side. Afterall, John Terry, Lampard and Drogba used to do it and win title.
                      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

defensive watching

Comment

Held the ball up ?

Stap tell lie...

Ryan Johnson as lone striker at this level is a waste...

Comment

Working...
                          X