Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazil mesmerised by Spain's portrayal of the beautiful game

Brazilians mesmerised by Spain's portrayal of the beautiful game

Perspective is a powerful thing. For those well versed in European football, Spain's 2-1 win over Uruguay may even have had the feel of a testimonial. But for the locals, and for me, it was much more impressive.

A young Brazilian came up to me at half time to say that in all the 17 years he had been going to stadiums he had never seen anything like the display Spain put on in the first 45 minutes.

I have to confess that I found it mesmerising. Watching it unfold in front of you is different from following on the TV. Up close, Spain's possession is a controlled exercise in geometry, a constant formation of triangles, each one opening up new possibilities, the ball given and received at fascinating angles.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Okay I have a bridge (connects Brooklyn to Manhattan) to sell you. Just don't let any one else know about this deal because the price I'm giving you is a special one. Why? because you are special

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
      Brazilians mesmerised by Spain's portrayal of the beautiful game

Perspective is a powerful thing. For those well versed in European football, Spain's 2-1 win over Uruguay may even have had the feel of a testimonial. But for the locals, and for me, it was much more impressive.

A young Brazilian came up to me at half time to say that in all the 17 years he had been going to stadiums he had never seen anything like the display Spain put on in the first 45 minutes.

I have to confess that I found it mesmerising. Watching it unfold in front of you is different from following on the TV. Up close, Spain's possession is a controlled exercise in geometry, a constant formation of triangles, each one opening up new possibilities, the ball given and received at fascinating angles.

(continue)
      Watching the game I heard the crowd booing. The commentator assumed it was because Uruguay wasn't in the game. My initial reaction was, will the crowd boo if Spain does the same thing to Brazil? Have to give it Spain, they treat all comers equally.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Time is the master. Last confed the USA missed that memo completely. Quite possibly they didn't check their email.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
          Time is the master. Last confed the USA missed that memo completely. Quite possibly they didn't check their email.
          But Jawge it look like you missed the last two European Championships and World Cup completely. Maybe if you got caught up with the times and realize people don't e-mail anymore you'd have gotten the memo? Social networking biotch....
          No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Yuh watch too much TV. Nuh watch nutten man yuh ah go get the tweet or if yuh ah follow pon instagram it ah go come through. Last but not least FB; it ah come nuh worry.

Comment

Yuh watch too much TV. Nuh watch nutten man yuh ah go get the tweet or if yuh ah follow pon instagram it ah go come through. Last but not least FB; it ah come nuh worry.
              Hehe....you're a good sport Jawge.....In all seriousness I still think this Brazil team is a side that does everything well but nothing great. Not exactly sure what quality they have that sets them apart from the other teams in the top tier. I can look at Germany, Italy, and Spain and see exactly what makes them special. Not convinced of your side yet. Could simply be the lack of competitive matches why I'm missing it. Like you said though I'll just keep my eyes open for the smoke signals and see how they come together. Oh and while I'm at it......PHENOM!.....sorry....just needed to say that for old times sake......damn freddy....

Comment

Are you convinced now? Yuh notice mi give yuh good time

The Mexico game I was not to happy. They just went and play an individual game. What Neymar did in the last minute was magic. I saw neymar play and outside of skill, he is very quick (hence his ability to leave two mexicans flat footed).

The italy game they reverted to a more team game (hence fred could be involved). Paulinho was missed. If hulk keeps up the defensive game and leave attacking and creativity to Neymarr, I'm gonna like him. I enjoyed the Italy game to the point where I watched the U20s.

Comment

Are you convinced now? Yuh notice mi give yuh good time

The Mexico game I was not to happy. They just went and play an individual game. What Neymar did in the last minute was magic. I saw neymar play and outside of skill, he is very quick (hence his ability to leave two mexicans flat footed).

The italy game they reverted to a more team game (hence fred could be involved). Paulinho was missed. If hulk keeps up the defensive game and leave attacking and creativity to Neymarr, I'm gonna like him. I enjoyed the Italy game to the point where I watched the U20s.
                  LOL breds you don't have to give me time. Is gloat yu fi gloat yes! That was a really good game. Even saw your smoke signals in the air to rhatid. Can't lie I'm one of those that thinks of Neymar as extremely skillful but a little bit of a lightweight. If how he played against Italy is any indication I'll be eating nuff crow to last me till the next Freddy Adu pop up on the scene iyah. Brazil looked good Jawge. Hat's off to you and your boys. I think just as fans of the beautiful game we all can pray for a Bra-Spa final. I think that is a treat we football fans deserve after the Dutch tried to ruin the final of the last WC with their barbarian tactics. I'll gladly take my licks every week if I continue to be entertained. You know for all the talk of Neymar and Hulk am I the only one that thinks that in the end it's Fred that could turn out to be the most important piece to that Brazillian attack? I don't think Neymar and Hulk work without him.

Comment

AAh Hulk should stick to being either Maurio sliva or Dunga period. Fred can only be seen when Brasil plays team ball.This is dangerous because the big Euro teams can map out Brasil and hold them down. There is a time when Brasil has to go individual. Individual brilliance is what made Brasil over the years. When Brasil goes individual fred will be missing.

Boss don't mention that Dutch game and to this day I haven't forgiven Julio Caesar. Double six ah go get a beating if them reach the final. I notice the commentators speaking as if Nigeria is done deal; well they may have point because Nigeria is not at Brasil's level. Brasilian fans are sophisticated and accustomed to a high level of ball. Notice when Nigeria was around the 18? It's as if they were saying come on score, there's the goal.

Yes sah Brasil is finding themselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X