Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former general secretary slams JFF

Former general secretary slams JFF

Horace Reid, the former general secretary of the Football Federation.

by Ainsley Walters, Freelance Writer
    HORACE REID, former Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) general secretary and technical director of Premier League team Portmore United, on Sunday blasted the current administration for slighting his Under-21 champions.

Portmore's Under-21 team entered the match against their counterparts from August Town, needing a win at Ferdie Neita Park to seal their fifth straight title in the junior league, which runs alongside the Premiership.
    The four-time champions had started the day on 51 points, four clear of Boys' Town on 47 with two games to go.

Reid, whose team eventually won 1-0, believes the JFF should have at least had a representative at the match to present the trophy in the event of a victory for Portmore.

"I want to commend the Under-21s for retaining the championship for the fifth year in a row, but I am disappointed that the JFF has not done enough to promote this league," he said.

"There was not one mention anywhere that the competition could have been decided today and it would have been nice if someone could have been here to hand over the championship trophy," Reid added.

Unfortunate outburst

Boxill ... Reid's comments unfortunate.

However, Crenston Boxhill, president of the JFF, described Reid's comments as "unfortunate", saying it was explained to Portmore's manager, Clive Marshall, that the team would have to first secure the three points and the presented at the following match.
    "It's unfortunate an outburst like that would have come from the coach for the Portmore team," said Boxhill.

"The fact is there was no guarantee, on Sunday last, Portmore would have come out as champions," he pointed out.

"As a matter of fact, their manager, Clive Marshall and Latoya DaCosta, the JFF's director of competitions, were in dialogue and he wanted someone from the federation to be there with the trophy and just like what happened in the Premier League when Harbour View needed a win at Naggo Head, we explained to them, we could not do that," he added.
    "Until they got the three points they were not champions and still could be caught by another team," Boxhill explained.

Ironically, Harbour View were held to a 1-1 draw at Naggo Head but their nearest pursuer, Waterhouse, drew 1-1 at home with Portmore United, a result which ensured Harbour View could not be caught with three games to go.

"Harbour View wanted the same thing to happen. They drew at Naggo Head and other results handed them the league. A special presentation was done last Sunday with them as champions," Boxhill pointed out.
    Boxhill said the same advice was given to Portmore's Marshall.

"Get the three points, guarantee your championship and arrangements will be made for the trophy to be presented at the following match," he said.
    However, the JFF president said whereas one standard could not be set for Harbour View and another for Portmore in a single season, the idea of having trophies on hand at potential championship games could be looked at in the future by the JFF. "I want to congratulate Portmore for winning the Under-21 league and it's not far-fetched that something like that could be looked at by the competitions committee," he said.
    Last edited by Tilla; April 25, 2007, 10:09 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Re: Former general secretary slams JFF

Boxhill a talk bull! Reid is right, the players should have been presented with their trophy the DAY they became champions.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Boxhill is right, Reid is wrong! Secure the points first, then celebrate. Nothing is wrong with presenting the trophy at the next match.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Last season when Chelsea beat MAnu to win the EPL, didn't they receive their medals and trophy? If Lyon should win Ligue 1 this weekend, tell me if dem affi wait fi get them trophy, then I'll apologize.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
          Boxhill is right, Reid is wrong! Secure the points first, then celebrate. Nothing is wrong with presenting the trophy at the next match.
          I think after the match the points would have been secured or not secured. In this case they were secured. ...so, trophy could have...should have been presented.

Aside: I wonder what Reid had done during his term at the helm?

It is always easy and great to see what should have been done...should be done...after one has already made the mistake!

Just wondering if the voicing of the fault was genuine or just expedient? Just wondering?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

It all hinges on this: "Boxhill said the same advice was given to Portmore's Marshall."

Did they "sign off" on that?

Maybe Marshall and Reid have a communication problem?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

much to do about nothing.

Comment

really is.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I believe Reid is acting in his team's (Portmore) interest when he made the remarks. He is entitled to airing his opinions on the matter....maybe its the way the article was titled which validates your "Much Ado about nothing"
                  President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Working...
                  X