Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica defender seeks new career in Asia

Ryon Jones, Staff Reporter

National defender, Dicoy Williams, is seeking to re-ignite his career in Thailand following a two-year stint in Major League Soccer which was significantly hampered by injury.

The 26-year-old central defender departed the island on Wednesday for a three-week trial stint with Osotspa M-150 Saraburi Football Club.

Williams had made a promising start to his Toronto FC career after being signed in March 2011 before he was sidelined for a year by a serious injury to his right knee while representing Jamaica in the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

FROM TORONTO TO HARBOUR VIEW

He was released by Toronto FC at the end of last season and returned to the island where he helped Harbour View to the National Premier League title playing the last six games of the season.

"Toronto stood by me and put a lot into the rehabilitation and wasn't rushing me back, but football is business, so if you can't produce you have to go," Williams shared with The Gleaner. "The things that they (Toronto) were expecting from me when I was coming back off the injury weren't there, as I have to take a little time to get back on that form. It was just a rough two years in MLS."

Williams deems the recovery process from his anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament damages as the roughest in his professional career, but is hoping it is all behind him now.

"I have been back for a while, but sometimes it has not been as it was before, so it takes a little time to try and get back into the rhythm," Williams said. "The main objective right now is to go there (Thailand) and try to make a mark in Asia, so I can move to China, Japan or one of those countries."

BACK ON TRACK

"I just need the opportunity to get back on track to find a team I can play football with week-in week-out."

Williams' future ambitions do not stop at him making it professionally, as he is also keen to add to his 12 national senior team caps.

"I am hoping to grasp this opportunity to show the talent that I have and try and get back a call for the national team," Williams revealed. "I still see that I can help the team in a lot of different ways with the experience that I have.

"Every time I play for Jamaica, I always try to do my best, as I think I even play better than when I am playing regular club matches. Even sometimes nowadays when I go to the stadium I fell a bit down, but I have to just wait until I start playing back and hopefully I can get back a call up."

Errol Stevens, another national player who has endured a lengthy recuperation process from a knee injury, will also be on trial at the club for three weeks.

ryon.jones@gleanerjm.com
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Nice to see that the man gets a contract to play some ball, really enjoyed his play from the last gold cup and what he can potentially bring to Jamaica.

One thing however is Thailand is the most anti-snow place a "yardman" can play ball.

That place have the best food on earth outside of Jamaica, suh him really have to watch that, maybe that is where Alvas should go since food so important to him!

Also some of the best looking women on earth!

Dicoy you really going to have to put the governor onto the brain and the body distractions abound in Thailand!

Comment

The quality ball has improved tremendously. He will have to play real TEAM ball! ...or he will be on a plane back home faster than you can say, boooo!!!

I wished him and his team (HVFC) (wrote...response to circular) best of luck!!!
      Last edited by Karl; July 7, 2013, 11:50 AM.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
      X