X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montesso quits as Reggae Boyz technical director

Montesso quits as Reggae Boyz technical director
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 | 7:49 PM

KINGSTON, Jamaica — Recently appointed technical director of Jamaica's football programme, Brazilian Alfredo Montesso has quit, the Jamaica Observer has learned.

It is also understood that Under-20 head coach Luciano Gama will also be making his way home.

Just a week ago, Theodore Whitmore’s successor as head coach of the Reggae Boyz was unveiled in the form of German national Winfried Schafer, the former head tactician of Cameroon, the team he guided to the African Cup of Nations title in 2006.

The departure from the programme by Montesso and Gama follows the dismissals of their countrymen, technical director Walter Gama (Luciano’s father) and goalkeeper coach Armando Bracali following a shambolic performance of the Boyz in the Caribbean Cup in Antigua and Barbuda last December.

The decision to dismiss the senior Gama and Bracali was said to have emerged from what was deemed a technical review process by the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) Technical and Development Committee headed by Howard McIntosh.

That review of the disaster in Antigua was ordered by JFF president Burrell.

Montesso, who has had numerous stints with the national programme, first came to Jamaica as a trainer on the Rene Simoes-led technical team that guided the Boyz to their historic France 1998 World Cup qualification.
    The Brazilian's latest sojourn was enabled after he was handpicked by Whitmore to assist with the senior Boyz in 2011.

But after the resignation of Whitmore following the team’s 2-0 loss to Honduras on June 11 in the World Cup qualifying play-offs that threw the Boyz’ campaign in a tailspin, the JFF moved to a new course of action.

As the search continued for a new head coach of foreign import, Montesso was diverted to focus more on the development side of the programme.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz2ZvMeRqKi
    Last edited by Karl; July 24, 2013, 01:21 AM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Expected it with the return of the King,proof to me the Brazilain called the shots and Tappa was learning under the Brazilians ,now Burrel flexes his muscle.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Thank goodness!

Comment

OK!!! So now you've cleaned house, what's the PLAN Capt. Burrell???

Who are the replacements, because Winnie has been contracted only for the qualifiers (till November), with an extension if he's successful???

What COMPREHENSIVE NATIONAL FOOTBALL PROGRAM have you & your "technical committee" designed for Jamaica's development & growth in the sport???

Comment

Hip hip hooray...the last of the Brasilian fassys are out the door...

Comment

Maybe you can pick up his Benz cheap?
            Peter R

Comment

Asafa own look better...& him soon haffi gi it weh

Comment

right move but wrong reasons. I dont buy this brazilian /german bulshit. I think Shafer is right to say i am reporting directly to the president. Simon Croskill who is a smart cookie ask the captain exactly that. How can a coach with a bigger resume report to a TD without any... Truly you can cause the TD should deal with structure and polices and coaching education. However there is not a german way or dutch way that a load of crap. You look at Spurs or any club you will see different backgrounds with the common language is football. Wether you are a Dutchman and you like 4-3-3 and a possession base game or you are a Brazilian and you like tempo and ball circulation. It really dont matter.. Good football is good football. the matter here is this Brazilian group failed as i dont see anything on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                  Hip hip hooray...the last of the Brasilian fassys are out the door...
                  Agree with you 100%. Brazilian coaches are not that great, in my opinion. Better off with an African, European, or nonBrazilian S. American. One man's opinion.

Comment

I wonder if they ""resigned"" like Whitmore, to free up money for Winnie???

Comment

Thank the Lawd fi Jeezas! I did not think he brought anything special to the program.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
                      X