Wouldn't it be a Travesty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wouldn't it be a Travesty?

TEAMtalk's Mark Holmes explains why it will be a travesty if Chelsea achieve the impossible and pip Manchester United to the Premiership title.

After a scintillating season of free-flowing, exciting and attacking football, I, as a complete neutral, would be devastated if the title somehow escapes from United's clutches.
    As a supporter of a Championship side I can honestly say I get little enjoyment from watching the big guns battle it out in a boring, predictable Premiership.
    Seeing Chelsea scrape last-minute wins at Watford, or Villa play out a dull 0-0 with Portsmouth is not my idea of entertainment unfortunately.
    However, there is one team that has very rarely failed to deliver and that is Manchester United. Along with Arsenal, they play some of the best football in Europe and unlike Arsene Wenger's men, United have an end product.
    I challenge any football fan, whoever you may support, to tell me you haven't been mesmerised watching Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes et al this season.
    They play football how it should be played and it's been a joy to watch. Take Saturday's win at Everton. Looking dead and buried at 2-0 down, they simply stepped up a few gears and tore the Toffees to pieces - just as they have done countless other teams over the past eight months.
    Chelsea's ruthlessness and will to win has won them two titles and helped them push United all the way again this season. But how often have they played the kind of football seen so regularly at Old Trafford?
    With the team of superstars Jose Mourinho has assembled, the Stamford Bridge faithful really ought to be purring over a season of Brazil-like performances but they've been bored half to death and they're not the only ones.
    Mourinho will argue his brand of football achieves results and with his record, it is hard to argue, but the Blues have made few friends under the 'Special One' and for the first time since the Premiership began, many football fans are hoping for United success.
    That is partly down to Mourinho's arrogance and their dour football, but it also has a lot to do with United because they have once again charmed the nation.
    We have been told time and again that Roman Abramovich's arrival at Chelsea would eventually lead to the Blues taking over as the world's biggest team and stealing fans from under United's noses.
    After a couple of disappointing seasons for the Red Devils it looked as though that prophecy may just come true.
    But Sir Alex Ferguson had other ideas. When the Treble-winners started to disband we were left to wonder if the Premiership would ever see a team that good again.
    The current incumbents are not there yet but I feel this season's United side is far superior to anything Chelsea have assembled over the past few years and the best XI we've seen since Arsenal's 'Invincibles'.
    As Chelsea landed Michael Ballack, United grabbed the far less revered Michael Carrick. As Chelsea spent £30million on Andriy Shevchenko, United were facing up to a season without Ruud van Nistelrooy.
    And yet Ferguson has somehow managed to shape another team of world beaters. Ryan Giggs looks 18 again, John O'Shea is no longer a laughing stock and Cristiano Ronaldo suddenly knows how to cross.
    Despite Abramovich's millions, it is United who are five points clear, United who have played brilliant football and United who undoubtedly deserve to be crowned champions.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Re: Wouldn't it be a Travesty?

...and, particularly at the beginning of the season Chelsea put in some terrible performances and yet their opponents, some would say unfairly, lost.

Sorry Tilla and other blues fans....Chelsea does not deserve to win. ManU all for the title.

My GUNNERS were the 'prettiest' but, finishing in front of goal has been horrible. E'to and or Ruud?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Re: Wouldn't it be a Travesty?

Karl ... duh .. nuh jinx mi side. Appreciate the thought ... but yuh dun know.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
      X