Jamaica has become a nation of Beggars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica has become a nation of Beggars

"Me naw beg nobaddy nutten!" Growing up in Jamaica, that statement was a mainstay in our vocabulary. As Jamaicans, we were fiercely proud of our independence and our will to succeed without the help of others despite the odds. I can remember folks from my grandmother and my mother's eras being embarrassed to ask for help. This was akin to accepting defeat. Almost the entire Jamaican population has some relative living in "foreign". I noticed the begging mentality started to increase during the mid to late 90's. We started to lose the shame of begging. Begging became a major industry in Jamaica when foreign remittances started to outstrip the earnings from locally produced goods and services and was propping up the Jamaican economy. Jamaica now has several Ministers of Begging holding offices. The culture of begging has become so endemic, it has permeated our society from the career street beggars to our captains of industries. We beg with impunity and without regards for our donors' well-being. We beg with a sense of entitlement. Afterall, we are poor and our donors are rich. We offer nothing to our donors for their benevolence. Folks, I present to you Captain Beggar:

Burrell calls on Chinese firm to develop football infrastructure

BY HOWARD WALKER Observer senior reporter walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, August 29, 2013

ASSOCIATE sponsor China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) has upped its investment in the nation's top league with a $25 million injection, it was announced yesterday.

Of that total, there will be a direct payout of $23 million to organisers of the competition the Premier League Clubs Association (PLCA), with another $2 million going towards promotional activities and special incentives for coaches and players.

China Harbour Engineering Company deputy regional manager, Xiao Yan Ming (left), presents the symbolic cheque of $23m to PLCA chairman Edward Seaga (centre) and JFF president Captain Horace Burrell at the launch of the new season in New Kingston yesterday. (PHOTO: MICHAEL GORDON).

Reacting to the announcement and commitment to football by the Chinese firm, president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Captain Horace Burrell, urged them further to look at considering investing in field development of clubs.

"If your company (China Harbour) has decided to give each of the football clubs a proper football field, believe me, in years to come, you would be recognised and remembered as the company that changed the quality and standard of football in this country," Burrell said at the launch of Red Stripe Premier League at the PLCA's offices in New Kingston yesterday.

"I challenge you, China Harbour, please," said Burrell as he pleaded with a smiling CHEC deputy regional manager, Xiao Yan Ming, who was seated in the audience.

The new season kicks off on September 15.

As he pressed home his point for the need for total development of the game and the role of corporate Jamaica in this thrust, Burrell warned that the game is bound to stagnate if there isn't an inclusive approach to growing it.

"In reality, we must have additional sponsors if our league is to move forward. We must have better playing facilities, better organisation of clubs, so we have some way to go," Burrell noted.

CHEC's communication manager, Jennifer Armond, said her company was pleased with its association with the league last season, therefore it was not difficult to re-commit.

"The company enjoyed participating in the Premier League as sponsor last season and became aware that it would only be through continued commitment that sport would be able to reap significant results from our initial interest," said Armond.

Supreme Ventures Limited's senior marketing officer, Andrei Roper, also announced his organisation's commitment worth $10m through its brand, JustBet.

Also, JUTC's yesterday made it public its decision to continue its partnership with the league.

Meanwhile, PLCA chairman Edward Seaga, made note of a change in league format and likened it to the changing formats in cricket that have resuscitated that sport in terms of spectatorship.

"There have been many changes in many sports. Cricket moved from five days to one day and now to two-and-a-half hours and that was unveiled in the Limacol competition and the crowd loved it," noted Seaga.

"They loved the excitement in shorter time which gives the players impetus not to sit at the wicket but to give them the joy of seeing the ball rising over the boundaries," said the former Prime Minister of Jamaica.

"Football has had the problem of diminishing crowds depending on the teams, but it has been a long time since we see a really packed stadium.

"At the clubs, spectatorship has not been what we wanted it to be except on Monday night because the innovation of the (title) sponsors Red Stripe, and that is one innovation that has helped us to grow more crowd," added Seaga.
    "This year we have to undertake more changes. I am not in a position to give you the details at this time because the JFF is to consider the proposals we are making," he added.

It is expected that the league format with 38 games, introduced for the 2007/08 season, will be discarded. For this season, the 12 teams will play three rounds of 33 matches in the preliminary phases, after which the top-eight will then advance to the quarter-final stage in a home-and-away series.

It is expected that this phase will see the number-one ranked team facing the number eight-ranked team; the number two vs number seven; number three vs number six; and number four vs number five.

The four winners will then advance to the semi-finals, also on a home and away basis, with the two winners from that stage qualifying for the final.
    The two teams at the bottom of the table at the end of the third round will be relegated.

A draw to decide the first set of games to kick off the season was done at yesterday's press launch which pits defending champion Harbour View away to Sporting Central Academy, while runners-up Waterhouse host Boys' Town in the marquee match-up on September 15.

In the other games, Portmore United travel to Cavalier, Humble Lion play Arnett Gardens, promoted teams August Town and Rivoli United clash and Tivoli Gardens tackle Montego Bay United.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2dN0O0Qgy
    Last edited by Karl; August 29, 2013, 02:56 PM.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

yup why the captain never build field with the wc 98 money?

Comment

Our begging mentality as you call it is only surpassed by our apathy regarding corruption. Sad.
      "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

"I luff poor people !"

The price of 'Black Man Time' is eternal and abject poverty....

Chiney Man Time now.. nice try though Black Man... (well not really)...

Comment

Yuh ever go inside di Bank of Jamaica building and see di sculpture of a hand? A one BIG rahtid hand, upturned like di bwoy dem a di traffic light. Of all di tings fi put in dere, why a HAND!

And if yuh look good pon di hand, yuh wi see some seed unda di fingernail dem!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You stop post bout football? How we not hearing nothing from you regarding the "trial' game them organize yesterday?

Comment

The man de a fareen. Him nuh have no time fi di foolishness.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Are your comments fair, Jangle?

You suggest we give nothing in return?

Two things:
                i) What are the motives driving this corporate entity's bearing of gifts?

ii) Are we really not offering some value or serving some purpose of China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC)?

Wonder?
                ...corporate entities are not known for not getting value for money spent?

------------

When Bolt's potential was all he had did Puma make a considered decision on investing in him? Some said Bolt had good beggars (OK! ...good managers????)

-------------

Just saying, mmmmmmm????
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

It is funny, but when the likes of say the USA get financial support from business entities, it is called sponsorship. When a JFF does it, it is begging.

I am only going to focus on the USSF right now in the interest of time. Here is a list if their sponsors (not complete by any means):-
                  All State
                  AT&T
                  Budweiser
                  Castrol
                  Marriott
                  Chevrolet
                  Pepsi
                  Panasonic
                  Nike
                  Visa
                  Gatorade
                  McDonald's

Those are a bunch of billion dollar companies right there. Say for example a Nike could easily contribute $100 million to the USSF over a five year period. This does not say how much the others would contribute.

I think the only thing the Captain has done wrong is to ask publicly. He should only make this public after a deal has been struck.

For football to survive in some countries, the industry has to get the support of business entities out there. This is much different from the "pan handling" Jangle is suggesting the JFF is guilty of.

I say gwaan Captain. Don't mek proud prevent you from uncovering some good sources of financial assistance for the program. You know how badly it is needed.
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Jangle not saying we shouldn't have sponsors but if we do for ourselves the sponsors will want to be a part of it. Instead of holding out our hand everyday.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

there is a difference between sponsorship and begging ... sponsors want to see something, a plan, projections, formulae for ROI etc .... begging is, well just that, begging

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Tell him fi mi Jangle. Me think a Jamaica one football a play?! Koo pon dem trial match...anybody really think Winnie a go select some players from dat?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well, which is it then? Can it be both?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                            It is funny, but when the likes of say the USA get financial support from business entities, it is called sponsorship. When a JFF does it, it is begging.

I am only going to focus on the USSF right now in the interest of time. Here is a list if their sponsors (not complete by any means):-
                            All State
                            AT&T
                            Budweiser
                            Castrol
                            Marriott
                            Chevrolet
                            Pepsi
                            Panasonic
                            Nike
                            Visa
                            Gatorade
                            McDonald's

Those are a bunch of billion dollar companies right there. Say for example a Nike could easily contribute $100 million to the USSF over a five year period. This does not say how much the others would contribute.

I think the only thing the Captain has done wrong is to ask publicly. He should only make this public after a deal has been struck.

For football to survive in some countries, the industry has to get the support of business entities out there. This is much different from the "pan handling" Jangle is suggesting the JFF is guilty of.

I say gwaan Captain. Don't mek proud prevent you from uncovering some good sources of financial assistance for the program. You know how badly it is needed.
                            I am with you here.
                            ...and the Bolt analogy is not far off...if the Captain and his administrators 'brush up on managing'?

I wonder what a class TEAM like a Germany... or a Brazil gets from sponsors?
                            Captain make of our Reggae Boyz class TEAM and the football funding will be off like a rocket!!!

...now how such funds would be used at lower levels for development...
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

is there a plan?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X