• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benitez the master of Europe

Benitez the master of Europe
    European Football | Liverpool
    by Phil McNulty - BBC Sport 02 May 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rafael Benitez may struggle to return the Premiership to what Liverpool regards as its spiritual home - but a journey to the Champions League final on a regular basis more than makes up for that gap in his collection.

Benitez was quizzed about his lack of a title in the after-glow of yet another semi-final triumph over his arch-rival Jose Mourinho.

He admitted it was tough with Manchester United and Chelsea winning almost every week, but he can more than handle the demands of the Champions League.

And so it proved again as Anfield celebrated another wild European night in front of The Kop.

Benitez knew his team had got it wrong at Stamford Bridge - but he scented blood once Chelsea only established a one-goal lead.

He spoke with an open confidence he rarely demonstrates, and his team backed his words once the slipshod and nervous early exchanges were over.

Benitez is not always the amiable nice guy seen by the cameras. He is ruthless and does not take kindly to being crossed, which is clearly what he felt he had been by Mourinho.

This was no footballing classic. It was never going to be.

But Benitez once again confounded those of us who looked at his team-sheet and questioned his approach.

No Xabi Alonso. Two wingers in the inconsistent shape of Jermaine Pennant and the largley ineffective Bolo Zenden.

And yet it all became clear very quickly.

Steven Gerrard was restored to a marauding midfield role after spending time on the margins, while Javier Mascherano was biting and snapping in around Chelsea's heels.

The pairing of Alonso and Mascherano was too similar at Chelsea, too deep. Benitez remedied the problem and was rewarded with a bristling display from the Argentine.

Mascherano's distribution is not perfect, but he loves a tackle, as several Chelsea players discovered.

It was impossible to recognise him from the dispirited figure witnessed at West Ham earlier this season.

Benitez regards himself as an arch-strategist, and the two-leg format suits him and Liverpool perfectly.

They proved it against Juventus and Chelsea in 2005 and this year favourites Barcelona and Chelsea again have perished on Benitez's drawing board.

Liverpool were the team creating the clearer chances, despite Mourinho's claim that Chelsea were the better side.

As for the final, Benitez will have to make some tough tactical choices whether they play AC Milan or Manchester United.

But he can usually be relied upon to fashion a result when an occasion demands it - and is occasionally followed by the odd stroke of good fortune every successful manager needs.

Manchester United would provide a sterner attacking test than Chelsea did, and Benitez's choice in midfield and attack will be key against either them or the Italians.

But after winning the Uefa Cup in his final season with Valencia and already claiming one Champions League for Liverpool, don't bet against another winning strategy in Athens.

comment on this article | send to a friend
    Latest 10 comments view all 605 comments

Read members' comments or add your own
    comment by Boony1892
    posted 47 Minutes Ago

You Chelski fans just don't get it do you ? The more bait us reds throw your way, the more bites we get.

We know Liverpool aren't the best team in the premiership. They probably aren't the best team in the CL. We know what shortcomings our team has. We are well aware of our history. Everyone is well aware of our history. We are rightly proud of what our club has achieved over many years.

Now compare that to Chelski. Have great recent success. Erm, they have, erm, lots of money !? Can some Reds help ? I'm stuck now. Oh, i know, they have lots of CL wins. No, that's not right is it ? How many is it again ?

Right you reds. How many Chelski's can i catch and how quick ?

In all seriousness, Chelsea have had another awesome season. With a little luck, they may still win the PL. They've already won one pot and have the chance to win the FA up.

The reason people are taunting you so much is because you will not accept the fact that you lost. Doesn't matter who the better team is. All that matters is the result.

add comment | complain about this comment

comment by kmateso
    posted 45 Minutes Ago

He ain't a master yet until he wins the champions cup. But may be 'cause he's beaten Mourinho almost in all cup competitions, he deserves some praise. A little Praise.

comment by momoofalgiers
    posted 43 Minutes Ago

Few days prior to the first leg at stamford bridge mourinho admitted bitterly that liverpool had more chances to go through.
    The point is that the stats learned him to respect Benitez even if he doesn't appreciate him publicly. Whatever are his deep feelings for him, he now fears him and knowing the fact that they're many today who share the same feeling, it becomes clear that if Benitez shows consistancy and wisdom all the time(he ruled out his countryman Xabi last night), he will pave his own pathway to glory.

Till now, as a latin roman catholic christian, who grew up under dictatorship of Franco in Spain, he showed a lot of inclination for discipline,order and committment(no creativity at all). Down the road, he used his abilities as a good father to set a kind of brotherhood between average players under his rule,and of course we all know the come out of that. Good games alternate with bad ones. Liverpool players are a family that act as one when facing the big sides. But when it comes to other minor ties the « red machine » is bogged. The players give us the feeling that they don’t belong to the same team. Liverpool has heavily lacked this season a constant continuity between lines…

That’s why it is time for him to accept to break the fence and act as just a big brother who is that close to every one. This new committment will rise the eagerness of players for creativity since they will feel themselves more responsible inside and outside the pitch with bigger confidence in their abilities.
    Simultaneously, they all have to learn that there’s a counterpart for that, they will be held accountable for their acts individually, any time, all the time.

Individual effiency for the sake of the group must be the new criterium withwhich you judge players. But prior to that, make them go out of their depth and deliver the best of them (see what happened yesterday).

Therefore, in order to reset this new mentality for the long run, there is only one practical choice left: don't buy good players but bring a new leader who's able to enlighten the road even if it has to be at the expense of the local legend ,Gerrard.

Buy someone like Kaka to improve the outlet of all players individually, not Alves Quaresma and so on.

Kaka or anyone else at the same level will have huge and constant deep impact on the quality of the game that liverpool will desperately neeeeed tomorrow to face new big challenges...

In two words, to be a legend, requires you to learn not to make heavy mistakes when comes time for dramatic move instead of trying to find out and pile the so called "good choices" one after one. It is that simple. Infortunately....

comment by panofscouse
    posted 39 Minutes Ago

Fighting on four fronts ain't easy but Liverpool used to do it with a squad of 14 players.

comment by kmateso
    posted 33 Minutes Ago

That's is Mourinho. It's quite funny that after every loss he's got something to say in favour of his team. May be this is why he's called the "special one."

He's developing a character like that of Zimbabwean president. Of never accepting defeat. Shame.

comment by respect_my_authority
    posted 19 Minutes Ago

Mourinho has made a fool of himself. Over 90 minutes Liverpool probably just about deserved a draw at Stamford Bridge. But at Anfield a scoreline of 3-0 would have been about right. He used to be funny but now he's just getting pathetic. Kind of like The Iraqi Minister for Information in the last days of the Iraq War.

comment by aledgog
    posted 13 Minutes Ago

Fair play to Benitez, if he can take a team with only one world class player to the Champions league final TWICE, he obviously knows how to get the best out of a team in Europe who are - at best - the 3rd best in England. I'm scratching my head to know how he does it...

comment by sycostill
    posted 9 Minutes Ago

posted 7 Minutes Ago

Mourinho has made a fool of himself. Over 90 minutes Liverpool probably just about deserved a draw at Stamford Bridge

how so? they only had one decent attempt? chelsea should have been 3 nil up by half time

-------------------------------

and for all those chelsea hating man utd fans who have been laughing at chelsea and saying see liverpool in the final .,

ha ha ha

you're not singing anymore

3 english semi finalists, 0 english winners.

ac milan all the way!!!!

comment by aledgog
    posted 9 Minutes Ago
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Re: Benitez the master of Europe

posted 7 Minutes Ago

Mourinho has made a fool of himself. Over 90 minutes Liverpool probably just about deserved a draw at Stamford Bridge

how so? they only had one decent attempt? chelsea should have been 3 nil up by half time

-------------------------------

and for all those chelsea hating man utd fans who have been laughing at chelsea and saying see liverpool in the final .,

ha ha ha

3 english semi finalists, 0 english winners.

ac milan all the way!!!!

comment by aledgog
    posted 9 Minutes Ago

Benitez and Houllier have had spending power - they've wasted a fortune on mediocrity, which is why their teams have never been competitive over a Premiership season. I have no confidence that Benitez will spend the Yanks' money any better...Crouch, Sissoko, Pennant, Bellamy, Gonzales - his one good signing has been Alonso - that is it...

comment by pk333dee
    posted 4 Minutes Ago

in response to...

Fighting on four fronts ain't easy but Liverpool used to do it with a squad of 14 players....

-------------------------

and how many times did they achieve it.

i have read so much trollop since our defeat last night..

now i have to admit that i badly hate liverpool as a team mainly due to the fact that they were so good for so long when i was supporting chelsea through the 70s and 80s, and despite all this talk about money, this is the true reason chelsea are now being hated. because they are now competing and sometimes winning.

you lot were the better team last night.. penalties or not, we did not even deserve to go to penalties.. but please allow us to grieve and lick our wounds, most true chelsea fans realise what went on last night, we were found wanting...

but

true football fans will also realise that at the moment liverpool are no more than a good cup team who have not challenged for the league in over 15 years and are living on a very colourful history, i dont think you will win the league next year, even though you have now got your own RA you are still a long way off..

i have said before carling cups, fa cups, cl..... all knock-out trophies, the only one that matters is the league, (the best team over the season) i am more gutted giving that to man u than i ever could be getting knocked out of a cup even if it is the champions league.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I agree with this last post - I would rather win the Prem than any other trophy. Liverpool have been a great cup team, but we have long way to go to get back to our winning ways in the league. Just the way it is.
      "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Boss dem mek the cup thing look trivial , C.L ...unnuh good.Yes I would like to win the prem but being in the C.L final every other year is addictive.

Comment

Working...
        X