Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Moyes "not going anywhere" for at least three years

Gary Neville: David Moyes "not going anywhere" for at least three

Gary Neville says David Moyes will get at least three years at Manchester United and believes they can still win the title this season.

Sir Alex Ferguson's successor has come under scrutiny after guiding the club to three defeats in their first six Premier League games - the first time that has happened in the Premier League era - and then suggesting in a press conference that the club will struggle to win the Champions League this year.

Sky Sports pundit Neville was at Old Trafford to watch them lose 2-1 to West Brom on Saturday, but says the United hierarchy will not be overly concerned by the poor start to Moyes' reign and says the former Everton boss will be given plenty of time to build the club in his image.

He told Monday Night Football: "If you think about the early years of Sir Alex Ferguson, he was allowed to develop into a presence. In the first three or four years he was at the club he was coming under intense pressure.

v

Live UEFA Champions League

Shak Donetsk vs Man Utd

October 2, 2013, 7:30pm
    Sky Sports 4 HD

Remote Record"David Moyes, there's no doubt about it, is still learning to come to terms with his squad and getting to know his players and the culture of the club.

"People have said he's been negative in press conferences and they probably have got a point on that. Manchester United fans don't like sensible and realistic, they like to dream and they want to hear that the club can win the league and can win the European Cup.

"But he's finding out about the club and one thing's for certain; you've got Sir Bobby Charlton in the boardroom and Sir Alex Ferguson in the boardroom and David Gill in the boardroom. That manager isn't going anywhere by the way.

"David Moyes will be given time over three or four years to build a football club and learn the ropes. It takes time and he'll be given time, just as Arsenal have done with Arsene Wenger.

"I put it towards the players. I know a lot of those players and they'll be hurting like mad. A lot of players will go before David Moyes goes because, believe me, they will give him time."

Inquest

United ended the weekend in the bottom half of the Premier League table, eight points behind leaders Arsenal and three adrift of neighbours Manchester City, who thrashed them 4-1 earlier this month.

But Neville says the players will be determined to turn their fortunes around and his former team can still go on and defend the title they won last season.

He added: "People are saying Manchester City can win the title and they're only three points in front of Manchester United so I think they can.

Crisis at United?

"Obviously at the moment there's an inquest into everything and when the mud's flying around some of it is going to stick. At the moment they just have to work their way out of it.

"I said at the start of the season that the players are going to have their biggest challenge ever: can they play without Sir Alex Ferguson?

"It's not just David Moyes by the way; there's players in there who are incredibly experienced and determined. They'll be the ones that are hurting, I'm sure. They'll be at home thinking about the game against Shakhtar and wanting to put it right."
    Last edited by Karl; October 2, 2013, 11:01 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Ok, it's now confirmed that DM won't be sacked but will instead be given a BP50m warchest for the January transfer window. I may as well stop fighting it and start to embrace DM. So no more calls for his head from me. Tappa, please refrain from sending in your application.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
      Ok, it's now confirmed that DM won't be sacked but will instead be given a BP50m warchest for the January transfer window. I may as well stop fighting it and start to embrace DM. So no more calls for his head from me. Tappa, please refrain from sending in your application.
      Di man spend almost 30 million of Fellanini. Wid 50 million who him ago buy? Torres?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

mi try tell you long time. Manu wants more than a manager, they also want stability. They don't simply need a coach, and they don't want someone who is going to pick up the bags and run after too season.

Moyes have to step it up yes but if you notice Fergie always a bawl for managers to get a chance to setup themselves. He will give Moyes that chance. Moyes have to screw it royally by now and January for him to be out of a job.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Lol
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Neville does not understand times have changed.He did make a solid point regarding experienced players,however,it is not as if they are dormant now,Rio is the ideal person...but his game too leaves much to be desired.

Comment

Man U not going anywhere for at least 3 years.

Comment

down is a direction yuh nuh?!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Chue dat!

Not that i follow EPL that much, but i think that is the same squad from last year.

Comment

That headline? -- David Moyes "not going anywhere"...

Lazie: My friend are you sure there is not underlying fear?

mmmm? BoyU "not going anywhere" for at least three years?
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Yup that seals it. Manchester United have now gone into Reggae Boyz territory where I just don't care anymore. If them wan' mash up de club wid dem incompetence mek dem gwan. Not wasting anymore blood sugar worrying about it.
                      No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Bredrin, this has been in the works for years. The Moyes debacles are just the latest. I was the only Man U fan here on this site that has been posting about the poor and declining management for years. Check the archives.

Rooney and his team went public with their predictions of this 3 years ago. They brought public pressure on him and got SAF to pressure him. Rooney and his teams have been proven correct. That's why he wanted out again in the recent off-season.
                        "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Rooney and his team haven't been proven correct, they are just defending their dollars. It is a fact that many of the talent Manu currently have, have failed to develop. Players like Anderson, Nani, Young, Evans etc. They can't say they didn't get their chances. Now it is time to weed out some of them and get some new players in or blood some youngsters.

It was going to be hard for Fergie to get rid of Gigs, Rio and other loyal soldiers who are good enough to stay but not at the top of their game.
                          It should be an honor to Rooney to lead the revival instead of trying to get to Chelsea that is not in much better shape than Manu.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Wrong, wrong. Rooney's team pointed out all of this and I posted stuff about the need for renewal years ago. Every time I posted stuff here, folks would say I didn't know what I am talking about. Now people's eyes are being opened. However, a couple of folks still believe we are going far with Rio. While I appreciated his stellar performances in past years, he should be a mentor and be transitioning out at this point.
                            "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

One thing you have to understand, and I know you do because you watch a lot of American sports. Most top team after been on top for a while have to rebuild and it takes more than just buying players. Manu is at that stage now.
                              It is a matter of how quick they can. Fergie was good at timing when to let a player go but he held on to a few and gave the owners a little time to rebuild their finances. Now it is up to them and Moyes to make the transition which will see them for the next 5-10 years as a toper top team.

Comment

Working...
                              X