X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Teams Hunt Schäfer

Four Teams Hunt Schäfer
    Published: Saturday | October 5, 2013 0 Comments

Reggae Boyz head coach Winfried Schäfer (left) and Jamaica Football Federation president Captain Horace Burrell.-file
    Andre Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

Reggae Boyz head coach Winfried Schäfer is entering the last days of his initial four-month contract with the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), and with a number of teams already expressing an interest, JFF president Captain Horace Burrell is hoping to tie down the respected 63-year-old German coach.

Schäfer, who signed with the JFF in July in a bid to rescue the Reggae Boyz battered CONCACAF World Cup qualifying campaign, has reportedly been presented with four offers from teams located in CONCACAF, African and European regions, but Burrell believes that the coach is eager to continue his work with the national senior team and is hoping that he will get the backing of corporate Jamaica.

Tight-lipped about cost

Burrell would not tell The Gleaner how much it would cost to keep the former Cameroon, Stuttgart and Borussia Monchengladbach tactician, nor did he reveal his current salary package. However, the former Army man believes he is close to securing enough support from the private sector to keep the coach in Jamaica beyond his current deal, which is set to expire in November, after the final World Cup qualifier against Honduras on October 15 at the National Stadium.

"That (Schäfer's salary) is something that I have never discussed and I don't want to discuss, but let's just say that if corporate Jamaica pull its resources together, then he will stay here," Burrell noted.

"He is a very reasonable human being, he is into nation building and right now even though he has four very good offers elsewhere; so its not that he does not have offers, but we are trying to convince him to stay here," Burrell told The Gleaner.

"What I have discovered is that the entire country is supportive of us keeping coach Schäfer, corporate Jamaica is very satisfied with his general attitude, and I have been speaking with a couple of sponsors and it looks good. I am feeling very confident that with the help of corporate Jamaica, we will be able to keep the coach here," Burrell added.

"He (Schäfer) has said that he has never met a people so loving as Jamaicans and that means a lot to him. He has said that the spirit of the Jamaican people means more to him than money and I know he wants to stay here, it's just for us to make it happen," Burrell said.

Since his appointment to Jamaica's bench, Schäfer has led the team to draws against Panama (0-0) and Costa Rica (1-1).

BLACK LIVES MATTER

What the @#$&!!! C'mon Burrell, even you can do better than that.
    That's an old, worn out ploy to try & force someone's hand: "there are others interested in my services".......Who's interested in Schaefer's services??? Name the suitors. And why didn't they go after him while he was in Thailand??? Might have missed it, BUT I don't remember the Thai federation fighting to keep him.
    Schaefer MAY be a good hire for Jamaica, BUT let him EARN the job. If there's any REAL improvement in the ReggaeBoyz performances/results & he can present a SOLID plan to develop & grow Jamaica's football then I'm sure you won't have a problem keeping him, since he already loves the country & the people.
    AND why the secrecy about the pay package??? If it's honest & fair then there's no need to hide it. You & your group need to learn the word TRANSPARENCY.....Jack & FIFA have you well trained.

Comment

Originally posted by USAF View Post
      That's an old, worn out ploy to try & force someone's hand: "there are others interested in my services".......Who's interested in Schaefer's services??? Name the suitors. And why didn't they go after him while he was in Thailand??? Might have missed it, BUT I don't remember the Thai federation fighting to keep him.
      Schaefer MAY be a good hire for Jamaica, BUT let him EARN the job. If there's any REAL improvement in the ReggaeBoyz performances/results & he can present a SOLID plan to develop & grow Jamaica's football then I'm sure you won't have a problem keeping him, since he already loves the country & the people.
      AND why the secrecy about the pay package??? If it's honest & fair then there's no need to hide it. You & your group need to learn the word TRANSPARENCY.....Jack & FIFA have you well trained.
      Just don't get USAF bringle did mornin' yah

BTW; USAF , who do you want to win in the Kansas City game?

Thanks in advance
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

We have already qualified, so I would like to see Jamaica win. Would like to see them get that 4th spot.
        If it happens (qualifying), I don't want the JFF to use it as a mask for developing an effective & efficient COMPREHENSIVE national football program.

Comment

I am with you there.

I have a USA/Jamaica T-shirt that i bought several years ago, when i went to Jamaica to see a game. Hope I can find it....

HL

Comment

Can it FIT??? That's important!!! Don't force into it & pass out from a lack of oxygen.

Comment

You know that's funny...because if I find it...it would get up to my navel

HL

Comment

HELL NO!!! A warning would be appreciated next time.......There goes my breakfast & lunch.

Comment

That roast breadfruit get peel!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The Candidates...?

Originally posted by USAF View Post
                    I can tell you for a fact that at least one Bundesliga club (Hamburg) has already fired their coach, and five or six in Bundesliga 2 have fired their coaches.

Comment

Is that you or L...nah!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Reggae Boyz: We need a good national team coach...

Age-group teams: ...and good national team at each national age-group level.

At the senior team level good coaches come dime a dozen...but at the age-group level satisfying our need is very problematic. These coaches must be homegrown. ...yet the necessary environment for development of high quality local coaches has not been tackled.

As I have been preaching for now more than 12 years (on this board from 2000 - posted on the main site) there is a need for seamless fusion of development of players from youngest of school-age through to national senior team.

Our football cannot move to TOP OF THE WORLD without good youth program or good national program.

The joke is, unfortunately we have neither.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

i endorse that!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Bundesliga 1 (the big time) club Nuremburg has just fired its coach.

Comment

Working...
                              X