• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RF i guess you did like boxhill fuh doing this ent

'We're no sell out'
    ... JFF says T&T uproar over Bahrain training camp premature
    By Ian Burnett Sports Editor
    Sunday, October 23, 2005

The rift between Caribbean football powers Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica could widen after regional football boss Austin "Jack" Warner accused the JFF of selling out the twin-isle republic.

WARNER... accuses JFF of selling out T&T
    According to a report in yesterday's Trinidad and Tobago Express newspaper under the headline, "Jamaica 'sell out' T&T", Warner called it a sad day for Caribbean football because of a decision by Jamaica to host a one-week camp for Bahrain, which is vying with T&T for a place in next year's World Cup Finals in Germany.

"It's a sad day for Caribbean football and Caribbean unity," the newspaper quoted Warner, following a T&TFF press conference at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Friday.

"Even if they (Bahrain) had paid one million (dollar) for that facility, it should not have been enough," the paper added.
    JFF president Crenston Boxhill could not be reached for a comment last night, but first vice-president George Evans suggested the regional boss might have jumped the gun.

"It is premature to suggest that Jamaica has done anything ontoward, because we have entered into no agreement," Evans told the Sunday Observer.

"No contract has been signed with Bahrain. The federation is waiting for written communication from them," he added.
    In explaining what has so far transpired with the Bahrain Football Association, general secretary Burchell Gibson said he was "surprised" by the latest outbursts.

"I received a letter from the Bahrain Association that they are interested in setting up a training camp in Jamaica from October 30 to November 8, with the possibility of playing a friendly match on November 4.

"Subsequent to that, the president (Boxhill) made contact with... Warner, who did not have a problem with the game.
    "I then requested from the Bahrain Association detailed information on their request, so that the necessary logistics, inclusive of costs to their association, could be finalised."

Earlier yesterday, Boxhill admitted on a radio programme that the Bahrain Association had requested that Jamaica "host them". He also noted that he had "spoken to Jack Warner and had gotten his blessings".

However, it was not certain if Boxhill spoke to Warner about the game only, or about the training camp, which seems to be the root of the problem with the regional boss and FIFA vice-president.
    According to the Express, Warner said he had been contacted by Boxhill, who enquired whether Warner had a problem with Jamaica playing a game with Bahrain on November 2.

On Friday, Warner told the media he had no objection to the initial request, since it gave T&T coach Leo Beenhakker the chance to see the Bahrain team in action.

However, he was peeved that Boxhill has since also agreed to facilitate Bahrain for an eight-day camp and give the Middle East contenders the best opportunity to beat T&T.

According to the Express report, Warner said while Guatemala had turned down a similar offer in solidarity with their CONCACAF opponents, Caribbean neighbours Jamaica had gone as far as to suspend their local league, so that the best Jamaican footballers could play a game with Bahrain, who face T&T on November 12 and 16 in a home and away play-off.

"If the blessing had been given by president Warner for a game to be played, it would be a benefit to the technical staff of Trinidad and Tobago, and after such decision, if there was any second thoughts (by Warner), it would have been prudent to advise president Boxhill," Evans added.

Warner's information is that the Middle East country had piled heaps of money before the struggling Jamaican Football Federation, which is desperate for cash.

However, both Evans and Gibson denied that money was discussed.
    Trinidad and Tobago earned the right to face Bahrain in a play-off for a spot in the Germany Finals after finishing fourth behind the US, Mexico and Costa Rica in the CONCACAF qualifying series. Bahrain finished third behind Japan and Iran in the Asian Zone Group Two, before edging Uzbekistan, who finished third in Group One behind Saudia Arabia and South Korea.

Re: RF i guess you did like boxhill fuh doing this ent

Why do you address me in the title of this post boss?
    President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

becuase i feel to wha yuh doh like it

Comment

Originally posted by Naminirt View Post
        becuase i feel to wha yuh doh like it
        Is that English? Plesse translate in Queen's English sir.
        President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

what eva that is trinidad dialect

Comment

Working...
          X