From refugee to teen soccer star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From refugee to teen soccer star

(CNN) -- A "miracle" journey has propelled Gael Bigirimana from war-torn Burundi to soccer stardom in the English Premier League with Newcastle United.

Separated from his mother as he fled to Uganda as a child, they were reunited later in the UK.

And his big break may never have happened had she not sent him on a fateful trip to the shops to buy a pint of milk.

His errand took him right past the training academy at third division club Coventry City, when he felt compelled to knock on the door and ask for a trial.

"I heard this small voice inside of me saying 'Go and play' and I thought, 'Okay.' I obeyed that voice," Bigirimana told CNN's Human to Hero series.

More at ... http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/09/sport/...html?hpt=hp_c4
    Last edited by Karl; October 9, 2013, 01:43 PM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Good post!
    ...tugs at the heart strings even as among other things it shows us that we should not allow our talents to be wishing on 'such'...buck-up...chance meetings...but to plan and implement a sound development program and excellent national team(s) programs.

Yup...innah JA, talent abounds!
    The crime is that so far we allow most of it to go 'buried'/to waste!!!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X