An Abundance Of Talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Abundance Of Talent

This is the claim of Karl & others here, and that is probably true. I haven't seen a Jamaican high school or club game for about 30 years, BUT what I witnessed in the mid 70s to early 80s would support that claim. I sometimes wonder what Jamaica could have accomplished if they had invested in the development & growth of players such as Howard Bell, Michael Clark, Lenworth Hyde, Noel Smith, Paul Davis, Wendell Downswell, Noel Blake, Alton Sterling, Douglas Bell, Peter Parkin, Peter Pringle, Orville Edwards, Noel King, Carl Brown, Wayne Wonder, Andred Andrews, Peter Cargill & many more.......But don't forget that not all diamonds will fetch millions of dollars or make it to the best jewelry stores.

For decades those in charge of guiding Jamaica's football have taken your RAW gems & throw them on the international scene expecting to compete against clean & polished ones.....That is lunacy & a disservice to Jamaica & its footballers.

The only time an attempt was made to properly prepare your players for international competition, Jamaica qualified for the U17, U20 & '98WCs, which was a remarkable achievement considering your resources, BUT what I feared would happen has come true.

The 1 time the JFF made any real effort to properly prepare your players for international football, Jamaica qualified for 3 WCs, & those in charge never learned nor appreciated what it takes to qualify for these competitions.......

They took it for granted & so instead of investing in a Comprehensive Football Program, they looked for short cuts & ignored growth & development. Now, you're back to pre '94 preparation, with no investment in Jamaica's growth & development in the sport.

If JAMAICA is serious about its future in international football, the people, business sector & government MUST hold those in charge of guiding your football ACCOUNTABLE
    Last edited by Karl; October 25, 2013, 02:03 PM.

include me amongst those "others" .....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      include me amongst those "others" .....
      Abundance of talent? Where? Oh well ...
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

There are 20 Freddie Adu ballers in Jamaica. - Shatta
        Hmm
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
          Hmm
          Talk bout Shatta, anybody hear from him? To think of it, I think we all owe him an apology for laughing at him when he said so. Where is Adu today?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I made a similar statement in '00 or '01 at one of his games & had to find my own transportation home.

Comment

Agreed!

The following jumped out at me -
              The only time an attempt was made to properly prepare your players for international competition, Jamaica qualified for the U17, U20 & '98WCs, which was a remarkable achievement considering your resources
              What our football leaders failed to understand was those preparations were not complete.
              - In the case of the 1998 TEAM the local players who answered the challenge presented by the professional footballers met were more testament to their innate talents than our local development path.

...i.e. a failure to recognise local efforts as possible FULL 100 on effort but substandard in 'properly thought out' and thus 'lack of proper execution'.

- 1999 & 2001 even for the accomplishments poor planning, coaching and thus based on talent...potential seen in the players...both under-performing TEAMs.

Our 2011 U-17 group -...if I have made an error on year referenced, please forgive...I meant the group that had Omar Holness as Capt... - provide proof on review of games played in CONCACAF Finals in Mexico that man for man they were equal to their opponents yet lacked disciplined play, were disorganized and presented disjointed play.

Excellent talent...marred!
              Last edited by Karl; October 25, 2013, 02:56 PM.
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

As Jamaica ever qualified for a youth tournament that was held overseas?
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                  As Jamaica ever qualified for a youth tournament that was held overseas?
                  Yes!
                  ..the following is one of them.
                  - Countries to participate in 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup[edit]

Top 4 teams qualify for the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup.
                  United States
                  Canada
                  Panama
                  Jamaica

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_CO...7_Championship

This FIFA Tournament for which we qualified was held overseas in Mexico City.

We did not do so well in that final tournament.
                  Last edited by Karl; October 25, 2013, 02:53 PM.
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

That qualifying tournament was in Jamaica, what about qualifying tournaments held outside of Ja?

Comment

we always come back to the fact that our high school system is not the place to produce youth ballers ..... and a disservice is done there.

raheem sterling, javon hines are merely 2 example of what can happen if the talent can be harnessed wholesale. the talent is there .... undubitably ... but the youths are STILL being failed .... RIP mi bredren Livi!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                        we always come back to the fact that our high school system is not the place to produce youth ballers ..... and a disservice is done there.

raheem sterling, javon hines are merely 2 example of what can happen if the talent can be harnessed wholesale. the talent is there .... undubitably ... but the youths are STILL being failed .... RIP mi bredren Livi!!
                        Raheem Sterling? Really?

Comment

Wasn't the '01 qualifier held in T&T and Canada???
                          They placed 3rd in '70 (in Cuba), but there wasn't a U20 WC then.

Comment

why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                              Raheem Sterling? Really?
                              Lazie: Are you really saying Rahem Sterling is not talented?

Comment

Working...
                              X