RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liverpool at the forefront of Fergusons' mind !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liverpool at the forefront of Fergusons' mind !

I'm flabbergasted by Fergie's attack on Liverpool... he was WRONG on Stevie, WRONG on Rafa and WRONG on Owen

By JAMIE CARRAGHER
    PUBLISHED: 17:01 EST, 25 October 2013 | UPDATED: 17:49 EST, 25 October 2013
    59 shares
    View
    comments

During the week when football was coming to terms with Sir Alex Ferguson announcing his retirement, I received an unexpected letter.
    My playing career was reaching its end too, and as I began reading the letter, the identity of the sender soon became apparent. He complimented me on my competitive spirit and stated his admiration for the way I had come from a working-class background to achieve things in life.
    The letter was signed Sir Alex Ferguson.

Read all about it: Sir Alex Ferguson launched his second autobiography last week

More from Jamie Carragher...

It was genuinely humbling. He had so much going on in his life yet still found time to make that gesture. Of course, I wrote back to him. I thanked him for his words, congratulated him on his remarkable achievements and wished him all the best for his future.
    I also told him how I’d enjoyed his first book and hoped he would pen another. If I’d known what comments he had in store for Liverpool, maybe I would have thought twice!
    I’ve read with interest his observations on my Liverpool — the era from Roy Evans to Brendan Rodgers — and feel obliged to put across my own opinions. Some of the things Ferguson has said about Liverpool are right. Others are totally wrong.
    Take the reference to Steven Gerrard not being ‘a top, top player’. I found that outrageous. He won a Champions League final almost single-handedly in 2005. I didn’t see anyone do that for Ferguson on the two occasions Manchester United won it, 1999 and 2008.
    Ferguson’s opinion is authoritative but I’d love to know who he does class as a ‘top, top player’; he says Stevie never got a kick against Roy Keane and Paul Scholes, but I don’t remember that to be the case. What I do remember is Stevie scoring big goals against United — like the League Cup final in 2003 — and setting up winning goals for Danny Murphy at Old Trafford. I remember Stevie’s energy, desire and talent rattling United when we played them.
    Look at it the other way. Put Keane or Scholes in a Liverpool shirt and let them play against Stevie with the other alongside him. I would have been surprised if they could have done more on their own than Stevie. Keane and Scholes had the advantage of being surrounded by more great players.

Champions of Europe: Steven Gerrard (right) and Jamie Carragher with the European Cup in 2005

Screamer: Gerrard helped Liverpool beat Manchester United to win the League Cup in 2003

What makes it all the more difficult to fathom is when you think of the lavish praise he gave Stevie in 2004. At a time when Scholes, Patrick Vieira and Frank Lampard were shining, Ferguson described him as the most influential midfielder in the Premier League. This was even before his iconic moments in Istanbul and Cardiff.
    Another issue that confused me surrounded Michael Owen. Why would he have become a better player by joining United when he was 12? Ferguson cites the Under 20 World Cup in Malaysia in 1997, a tournament in which I also played, and how Michael was thrust straight back into Liverpool’s first team when he returned. Ferguson gave United’s representatives at that tournament, John Curtis and Ronnie Wallwork, a month off after they returned and the implication was that Liverpool didn’t manage Michael properly.
    What were we supposed to do? Not play him? Michael became European Footballer of the Year in 2001; had he been at United, Ferguson would have almost certainly let him loose. He had done that, don’t forget, with Ryan Giggs, giving him his debut as a 17-year-old.
    Like Michael, Giggs suffered from hamstring injuries early in his career — was that through being overplayed? — but he was able to reinvent himself as a central midfielder. Michael couldn’t do that as he was an out-and-out striker.

Main man: Michael Owen was a prolific goalscorer at Liverpool but his career was blighted by injury

Then there is the claim that Liverpool lacked imagination under Rafa Benitez. That’s just not true. There were times when Liverpool played with more flair — such as when Roy Evans was in charge — but the team I played in during 2008-09 was the club’s best since the title-winning squad of 1990. Yes, Benitez spent a lot of money, but we were trying to catch up. Ferguson was spending from a position of strength, only needing to add one or two players every summer.
    We were physically and mentally strong, but we didn’t lack a sense of adventure. We scored four against Arsenal, four at Old Trafford and beat Real Madrid 5-0 over two legs in the Champions League.
    Stevie and Fernando Torres were the best front partnership in Europe, and I used to walk out on to the pitch that season with the absolute belief we would win. The only thing that stopped us claiming the title that year was the fact that United had Cristiano Ronaldo on the wing.
    Benitez is pragmatic and may not see the game in the same way as Ferguson or Pep Guardiola, but we were not unimaginative. How could we be with players such as Xabi Alonso, Stevie and Torres? That year we were the real deal and that’s why it hurt so much losing the title to them.

Under fire: Former Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez came in for criticism in Sir Alex Ferguson's new autobiography

My respect for Ferguson is total. I regard him as the best manager there has been for his achievements at Manchester United and, crucially, what he accomplished with Aberdeen. But he never managed to do what Bob Paisley did with Liverpool, namely achieving total European domination. Paisley remains out on his own with three European Cups and perhaps that’s why Liverpool remain at the forefront of Ferguson’s mind.
    I’ve read the book and it is excellent, as you would expect from its author and subject. Certain criticisms of Liverpool are justified, too, such as the barb about us wearing T-shirts to support Luis Suarez at Wigan and Benitez’s ill-advised ‘facts’ press conference in 2009.
    But there are some of Ferguson’s opinions about Liverpool — my Liverpool — that I simply cannot accept.
    P.S. A word on Brendan Rodgers’s defence of his players. Ferguson may feel aggrieved at the comments, but he may also admire Rodgers. That, after all, is precisely how he would have reacted if the same had been said about one of his own.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz2imStFrgw
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

So-called "big" men can be petty with small minds. That's all I have to say about that.
    Peter R

Comment

The Sir Alex Ferguson vs. Rafa Benitez Rivalry Is Not Finished Yet

BY GUILLEM BALAGUE
      (GUEST COLUMNIST)
      ON OCTOBER 23, 2013

15,325 reads

SHARETWEET

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext

Michael Steele/Getty Images
      The meetings I've had with Sir Alex Ferguson have probably been the highlights of my career. He has always been charming, enlightening and impeccably polite. He also did me an enormous favour when he generously agreed to write the foreword for my biography of Pep Guardiola—something for which I will always be enormously grateful.
      That said, the resurrection in his autobiography of his feud with Rafael Benitez, which I thought was over, is slightly surprising.
      Their prickly relationship stems from a press conference in 2009 (full transcript can be found at The Guardian's website) when Benitez read out a list of "facts" about Ferguson and United in 2009—including claims about the Manchester Unitedmanager's relationship with the FA.

/Getty Images

These were "facts" which, needless to say, Ferguson was swift to deny. In fact, the threat that came from Liverpool in those years was the real reason behind the feud, and the "facts" press conference was cleverly used by Sir Alex—who knows better than Rafa how to use the media and fans to his favour.
      In his new book, which I've read, Ferguson clearly demonstrates that Rafa is still under his skin. He labels Benitez as a, "silly man," a "control freak" (interesting, isn't it?), calls his teams dull and unimaginative and claims he was lucky to win the Champions League in 2005, when Liverpool fought back from 3-0 down to beat AC Milan (Hmmm, luck in big games, interesting too).
      Ferguson also claims that the Spaniard spent huge amounts of money on players, and it's here that Sir Alex really does get it wrong—and I am pretty sure he knows it too The "fact" is that, while it is true that Benitez spent around £230 million pounds during his tenure at Liverpool, the only way he could do that was by selling players like Xabi Alonso. And when he left, the sale of Javier Mascherano and Fernando Torresconfirmed the valued added in the squad during his tenure.

/Getty Images

And when you sell your best players, you struggle. The truth is, with the bosses he had at the time (Tom Hicks and George Gillett), he had to do without money. Rafa had in his six years at the club £20 million gross to spend a year. At the end of his tenure, his net spending was practically zero (some would say even positive, he brought the club more than he spent).
      Benitez wanted Dani Alves and Florent Malouda and what he got was Jermaine Pennant and Ryan Babel. That is what he was dealing with. While people may use the figure of £230 million as a stick to beat him with, the reality is different.
      Are we still really arguing that he is not an extraordinary manager? Did you see what he did with Chelsea, Valencia, Liverpool and what he's doing with Napoli now? It is also worth noting that when he arrived, the Manchester United squad was also worth at least £100 million more than the one Benitez had to work with at Liverpool.
      I’m at a loss to understand why, in certain quarters of the UK, there is so much interest in destroying Benitez. What he achieved in a short space of time at Chelsea, by getting them into the Champions League and winning the Europa League, was nothing short of remarkable, and due testament to his strength of character and trust in his own ideas.
      I just don’t think his story has been told properly, and I think that Sir Alex is more than happy for that to be the case. But actually, at the end of the day, the fact that Sir Alex and, of course, Jose Mourinho, have gone out of their way to publicly express their dislike for the Madrid-born manager is probably the biggest compliment they could ever pay him.

SHARETWEETG+
      Flag Article

MORE ARTICLES YOU'LL LIKE

Have your say...
      or sign up to post a comment

Sort By Most Popular Sort By Newest First Sort By Oldest First
      37 Comments

Steve Clean posted 3 days agoContributor IHere's the deal:
      If Rafa Benitez only had been given resonable conditions to work under at Liverpool for a prolonged period of time, Ferguson good well knows he'd "knocked United off their ******g perch" to paraphrase himself. Thus, he does not despise Benitez as much as loathe him. Rafa was the biggest foe Ferguson never had.
      Except for one half of a season - during which LFC got closer to the PL title than ever before - Rafa never really got his break. The way he hung around Liverpool all the way until he joined Chelsea suggests Benitez really felt he had unifinished business at Merseyside.
      As for Ferguson, he got away with it, and can now launch one last missive in the direction of Benitez - the man who could have wrecked much of Ferguson's legacy, but never got the chance.

THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
      X