Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abundance

dictionary.reference.com/browse/abundance
    noun 1. an extremely plentiful or oversufficient quantity or supply: an abundance of grain. 2. overflowing fullness: abundance of the heart. 3. affluence; wealth: the ...

Is it the want for a better word...or does abundance really describes the amount of local football talent in Jamaica?

Lazie, your thoughts. Karl don't be bashful, you can answer too.

Thanks.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Originally posted by HL View Post
    noun 1. an extremely plentiful or oversufficient quantity or supply: an abundance of grain. 2. overflowing fullness: abundance of the heart. 3. affluence; wealth: the ...

Is it the want for a better word...or does abundance really describes the amount of local football talent in Jamaica?

Thanks.
    Your post supports my point. There is talent in Jamaica, but anyone talking bout abundance is simply fooling themselves.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Just thought you should have defined abundance for them Lazie.

For years you have been making them aware of this folly. It's full time it's stopped. Hopefully a more suitable term will be used.

"Jamaica has an abundance of football talent" ~~snicker snicker~~

HL

Comment

While you're at it, post the definition/meaning of TALENT.

I hope you know that having talent doesn't guarantee you nor translate to being successful with that talent. Just check the millions of U.S. high school & college basketball "stars" who are working a 9 to 5 &/or struggle to survive; OR even the ones that went pro but were just role players.

There's an ABUNDANCE of food in America, BUT we have hunger & malnutrition.

Comment

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
          - Xavi

Comment

the raw talent is there along with love for the game...if this talent was nurtured and developed from childhood we could easily rank twenty something consistently...it's not about creating stars...it's about developing players that have value to european teams...luckily there is an app for that
            Last edited by Bricktop; October 26, 2013, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I am too USAF!!

I think you have introduced a new topic here my friend.

I agree, there is talent in Jamaica (like lots of other places) but not an abundance.

HL

Comment

Peep this,Simoes had a particular preference for Bibi,but make no mistake,at the time Gregory Messam was just as intriguing.Even worse,we had an abundance of capable leftwing backs.Oh my,how can a handful be abundance?
                Suh check de level,we are dealing with demand and supply.The target number is 24 players,abundance is relative to that.

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post

Thanks.
                  Then HL, you must specify context i.e. what number of talented youngsters who with proper avenue for development to World's top professionals...

What numbers would you use top 100 footballers or 1000 footballers or 2500 footballers or 5000 footballers or 10,000 or as far as professional leagues in the FIFA 209 national associations go their Premier League and the 2nd tier league of would you for example, use that that holds in Britian's the EPL & the Championship. ...or those in the top leagues in FIFA's top 35 ranked national associations?

First, as it pertains to football, we will have to decide on definition for abundance of talent.

Would we, for example, claim the English Leagues as where there is abundance of talent? Would those leagues act as 'markers' against which we shall judge our talents?

If yes -

...then next as an example -

In the EPl and The Championship if we assume that the average squad is 30 players that would compute to -
                  EPL: 20 clubs x 30 players = 600
                  Championship 24 x 30 = 720

So in the example we use we are speaking on player number of 1320.
                  ...what ratio to total population are we then citing?
                  ...what ratio to total population of youngsters are we citing?

There is a FIFA study posted on our web site named "The Big Count".
                  We could use the stats there to, if we buy-in to a common perception of what constitutes football talent, make a determination on whether or not we, in Jamaica, have an abundance of talent...as we apply weight to ease of access to opportunity for development of young talents and quality of teaching/coaching in each country we wish to compare our young talented footballers with that that obtains in our Blessed Jamaica.

Matters not how you (or we, for that matter...) determine abundance of talent as it relates to numbers in our base (marker) country/football national association those numbers must be used talented players:total size of population or talented players:total player population or some other relevant ratio...on which to compare and determine Jamaica's abundance of talent or no.

HL: You may even have other variables you wish us to consider as we ponder if we have an abundance of talented youngsters who could go on to join the professional football ranks...for me, matters not how you rationally think on it...logically think on it...there shall be only one answer - TALENT ABOUNDS.

A small few of our footballers make it to the professional football ranks, not as a result of the teaching/coaching received but despite same. Yup! ...a small few of those possessing an abundance of talent overcome the obstacle of poor teaching/coaching...and learning environment.

Yup!...notwithstanding same they overcame!!!

TALENT ABOUNDS!!!
                  Last edited by Karl; October 27, 2013, 06:40 PM.
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by USAF View Post
                    While you're at it, post the definition/meaning of TALENT.

I hope you know that having talent doesn't guarantee you nor translate to being successful with that talent. Just check the millions of U.S. high school & college basketball "stars" who are working a 9 to 5 &/or struggle to survive; OR even the ones that went pro but were just role players.

There's an ABUNDANCE of food in America, BUT we have hunger & malnutrition.
                    Thank you.

I know Lazie was not thinking through the matter in a logical matter but merely 'looking' using 'tunnel vision'. I am thinking he looks at our displays on the field of play and the minuscule numbers of our players in top world leagues and conclude that our small numbers must mean we do not have the talented youngsters.

...but HL is a scientist and I assumed would have considered say, a country where no football was played and would wonder on the possibility of talented youngsters being present. ...then HL would consider making the jump in thought on our Jamaica situation. Why would our teams perform so poorly year after year...even after 1994 through 1998 and occasional glimpses -
                    ( e.g. Gold Cup 1998;
                    sweet 2 - 0 dropped on Uruguay in the Office during the Carl Brown years;
                    Gold Cup 2011)?

How is it that at times our talented can play with the World's best and "look like we belong"?

Surely the talented must be there at home???!!!!

Tell then again, USAF!!!
                    Tell then to think again...Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease?
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Right on, Rockman.

Just curious: Why is your target number 24?
                      Just asking! Have you done the math relative to another country?

Comment

Didn't see the need to condider ratios,the target number is a mere squad.
                        That aside,how yuh do sah?

Comment

Got yuh!
                          ...and I am good, sah! ...and you?

Comment

per capita ... we would never have more than say Brasil, but just like our sprinters ......

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

King Karl-- it's simply about the adjective abundance.

Your epistle is only verifying the word TALENT which is not what is being debated.

Jamaica does not have an excess of football talent.

This my last submission on this topiK

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X