Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chelsea's 'problems' nothing to worry about

Chelsea's 'problems' nothing to worry about

It was not just Hart who made a howler because all three goals at Stamford Bridge came from mistakes.

Chelsea's centre-backs John Terry and Gary Cahill were defending very deep for most of the game but, for City's goal, they kept a high line.

When you have no pace in central defence and no pressure on the ball from midfield then you have got to drop. They didn't on that occasion, and Aguero punished them - although Chelsea keeper Petr Cech should have done better with his shot.

Chelsea's average position against Manchester City

Key: 26: John Terry 24: Gary Cahill

And Gael Clichy's body shape was all wrong for Chelsea's first goal. If you are a full-back and Torres has run past you on the outside from a standing start then you have got problems.

We saw every side of Torres today - he missed an easy chance, hit the bar with a wonder-strike, made one goal and scored another, just by persevering.
    But I don't think Torres deserved any special praise for his performance, because really he just did his job. He is a £50m striker and he should be doing extraordinary things.

The clamour will now be that Torres is "back". You hear it every time he scores a goal but really he needs to put 15 decent performances together before we can talk about him being at the level he was when he was at Liverpool, not just one or two games.

He gets special attention and treatment because we know how good he was. I am a fan of him myself and I want to see him do well. What he needs now is consistency, not for people to get carried away.

Because, the next time he has a poor game, all you will hear again is that he is "finished".

Some people are not convinced by the rest of this Chelsea team either, but they are second in the Premier League, two points off the top and going well in Europe - it is clear their manager Jose Mourinho gets the most out of his players.

And I don't see it as a problem that Mourinho has to decide who to leave out - if you look at the Chelsea bench and see the likes of Juan Mata and Samuel Eto'o then they clearly have a much better situation than, say, Manchester United right now.

Having too many good players is not a bad thing. Like City, the size and quality of their squad is what makes them title contenders.

City and Chelsea are my top two, then Arsenal in third and Liverpool fourth. It is between Spurs and United for fifth.

Robbie Savage was speaking to BBC Sport's Chris Bevan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24693116
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

I wondered myself how no one blamed the two Chelsea center backs or Cech for the Aguero's goal. Cech was ball watching and got beaten at his near post. That is a mistake that should not have happened.

Some also said Hazard should have won a penalty when he was pulled down in the box. The ref however chose to not make the call.

It was an exciting game though.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

ball watching...kiss teet...Cech had absolutely no chance of even getting a fingernail on that ball...

Comment

Tilla, a win wipes away ALL transgressions....
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
        X