Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spurs v Newcastle - A game that causes a manager

to tear his hair out.

Newcastle takes the lead...but Spurs creates the greatest of chances. As fact, has more look-ins at goal by far. It keeps the manager wondering why 'the ball just will not go in'. On play his TEAM, he deserves to win...but...

The gods just are not on his side as the other team takes it lone chance or a number of its few chances.

I know how Vilas-Boas, Scaly and the other fans feel. I have suffered the same fate watching my GUNNERS create 'tons' on chances and either draw or lose.

Hush! Tough! ...but a suh hit guh at times!!!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Mawning Karl.
    Nice Sunderland game so far.

Comment

Sunderland v ManCity

Ditto!

Hush! Tough! ...but a suh hit guh at times!!!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

BoyU v My GUNNERS

Ever had that feeling when you step on the track (T&F) or walk to the wicket (cricket) or just before kick-off and you get your first touch of the ball (football) where your legs feel heavy and weak? Can't make the strong confident steps to which you are used? Mis-'traps'...poor passes...poor touches?

My GUNNERS have started as if they have that 'sinking' feeling in the guts!!!
        Tentative...and slow.

BoyU has scored...sometimes that walks you up!
        Hope that does the trick for My GUNNERS. This BoyU team has, so far, in this match shown me nothing that previous performances to this start tell My GUNNERS can handle...comfortably!!!

...but My GUNNERS have to wake up and play boldly!!!

Comment

Best strike pair in the EPL?

Must I believe my lying eyes or the 'talking heads'?
          I am going with my eyes - Van Persie & Rooney!

No pair makes as many intelligent runs. Has combined technical qualities better than these guys. Makes more unselfish plays to each other and to rest of supporting cast than any other strike pair! ...just downright best TEAM strike-force.

Wonder if they will both come to My GUNNERS?

In today's game - we have to wake up. This walking about...playing down to BoyU is a waste!!!

Comment

What about the pair of Suarez and Sturridge?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              What about the pair of Suarez and Sturridge?
              The only other strike pair worth comparing van Persie and Rooney with.
              ...and they - i.e. Suarez and Sturridge is the referenced 'talking heads' choice.

Not going with them...going with my lying eyes tale of van Persie and Rooney.

The big downside to Suarez and Sturridge is Sturridge's penchant for anti-TEAM...*unnecessary 'brukin' and twists and turns which destroy his TEAM's attacks and detracts from the pairs high standards. Yup! ...giving Van Persie and Rooney the edge.

van Persie at times engage in the same ...*unnecessary 'brukin' and twists and turns which destroy his TEAM's attacks and detracts from the pairs high standards...buthe knows to leave it off the pitch during 'big games'...or if indulged in in 'big games' he at least does so only after the game is out of reach of the opponent.
              Last edited by Karl; November 10, 2013, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Hope you are watching the game - BoyU v GUNNERS - and taking note of the work of the pair of Van Persie and Rooney!!!

Comment

Rooney - Genius!
                  van Persie - Genius!

Suarez - Genius!!!
                  Sturridge - Not a genius!!!

Comment

Moyes is managing this game very, very, very well!
                    ...and he has his team playing the type of game we played against Dortmund.

Surely we shall score!!!????!!!!

Comment

At crucial times we are holding the ball tooooooo long!!!

Comment

...and Rooney works and works and works...(van Persie also put in a fabulous shift!). ...just watching Rooney you get tired!!!

Comment

GUNNERS fall!

Our players did not display the necessary guts! ...BoyU's did!!!

Comment

Arsenal undone by Van Persie as United wins 1-0

Arsenal undone by Van Persie as United wins 1-0

Sunday, November 10, 2013 | 3:29 PM

MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Robin van Persie tormented former club Arsenal once again by scoring the only goal in Manchester United's 1-0 victory over the Premier League leaders on Sunday, lifting the resurgent champions to fifth place in the standings.

The Netherlands striker met Wayne Rooney's corner with a header into the top corner in the 27th minute to condemn Arsenal to its second loss of the campaign and reduce its lead to two points from Liverpool.
                            Manchester United's Robin van Persie, left, celebrates with teammate Wayne Rooney after scoring against Arsenal during their English Premier League match

Manchester United's Robin van Persie, left, celebrates with teammate Wayne Rooney after scoring against Arsenal during their English Premier League match

Since leaving north London for Manchester in August last year, Van Persie has scored in all three games against Arsenal.

After a scratchy start to the season, United is coming good under new manager David Moyes and is now just five points behind Arsenal, which didn't create a clear-cut chance in a flat display at Old Trafford.

"This was a big result for us today, Arsenal have been in terrific form this season and we had to play well to get the result," Moyes said.

After picking up just one point in matches against chief rivals Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City, it was time for United to deliver and for Moyes to claim a first signature victory in his short, erratic time as Alex Ferguson's successor. A defeat would have left them 11 points behind Arsenal and their hopes of retaining the title seriously dented.

"We knew we had to win today at all costs," Rooney said. "That was the toughest we've been to break down and we defended really well. We knew we could not afford to lose today, we couldn't let Arsenal get 11 points away from us."

As it was, United produced a performance of authority and tenacity. And who else was going to settle the match than Van Persie?

Still unable to forgive the striker for leaving for United last year for 24 million pounds (then $38 million), Arsenal's away contingent weren't shy in expressing their feelings toward the Dutchman early in the game with crude chants.

Van Persie responded the only way he could — by scoring, just as he did in both meetings between the teams last season on his way to becoming the league's top scorer for the second season running.

By getting away from Olivier Giroud and looping a header into the top corner over Kieran Gibbs, Van Persie netted for a fourth straight match in the league and a seventh time this campaign.

That was one of the few sights of goal in a cagey match in which Arsenal played well within itself, displaying an inferiority complex many thought had disappeared after its strong start to the season.

"I felt we were a bit nervous at the start of the game and didn't play our game and against a team like United who was nervous and a bit insecure, we gave them a little bit of comfort," said Wenger, who was without Per Mertesacker and Tomas Rosicky due to a virus that affected the squad the days before the match.

United, with Rooney often to the fore, hounded the visitors into sloppy errors early on and kept playmaker Mesut Ozil on the periphery. Arsenal's only half-chance early on fell to Giroud, and he headed over from the edge of the area from Aaron Ramsey's cross.

The Londoners were given a lift at halftime, however, with United center back Nemanja Vidic not coming out for the second half after being clattered in the head by the hip of his goalkeeper, David de Gea, in the final seconds of the first half. Vidic was taken to a hospital but Moyes said the Serbian defender was conscious, adding: "As far as we know, he's going to be OK."

Phil Jones, who had been shielding the defense brilliantly in central midfield, dropped into the backline and Arsenal's silky midfielders finally had some space to perform.

United initially remained in the ascendancy, with Rooney dragging a left-foot shot just wide from the edge of the area on the hour mark.

But Arsenal slowly began to take command, probing around United's area. Two devilish crosses by Bacary Sagna were missed by Giroud then Nicklas Bendtner, Jones denied Giroud with a last-ditch tackle and the France striker slid a shot just wide of the post.

However, De Gea wasn't seriously tested throughout as Arsenal fell to its first loss since the opening day of the season against Aston Villa.

For the champions, it could be the victory that sparks their season.

"It's another step in the right direction for us, but we have a lot of steps to take here," Moyes said. "It's going to take a while to get it the way I want it to be. But I'm thrilled because the boys put in a great performance."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2kHVECqYr

Comment

Working...
                            X