X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New JFF-Schafer deal nears, says Burrell

New JFF-Schafer deal nears, says Burrell

Monday, November 11, 2013

MONTEGO BAY, St James — JFF President Captain Horace Burrell said he expects to formalise the working relationship between Reggae Boyz Head Coach Winfried Schafer and the Federation in the coming days.

The JFF president said he will be meeting with a couple of sponsors to "conclude crucial discussions" as he seeks financial and other coverage to ensure the German can be retained for the long haul as Jamaica look to Russia 2018.

SCHAFER... yes, I want to stay

"I remain hopeful that by next week we will be able to wrap up advanced negotiations we are having with our partners in finally formalising the arrangements with Coach Schafer," said Burrell.

Meanwhile, Schafer indicated that his heart is with Jamaica and that he wishes to stay in the country and build a programme with the 2018 World as the primary goal.

"Yes, I want to stay... but there are still some things to work out with Captain Burrell and I know we agree so we can move forward," said the veteran coach.

"I continue to work on the programme for 2018 even if a contract is not in place as I am prepared to work until that is worked out," Schafer told the Jamaica Observer in Montego Bay on Saturday.

Immediately after Jamaica's final World Cup-qualifying match against Honduras at the National Stadium last month and uncertainty about his future with the programme, Schafer's posture has been one suggesting he is prepared to hang around.

The German's four-month contract is expected to expire on the day that Jamaica play the first leg of a home-and-away friendly series against Trinidad and Tobago's Soca Warriors at the Montego Bay Sports Complex, on Friday night. The return game is scheduled for Trinidad four days later.

The series is being viewed as the start to the Russia 2018 campaign.

Schafer, who succeeded Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore as head coach, was hired in August to try and rescue Jamaica's dying Brazil 2014-qualifying campaign, but his arrival proved too little too late as the Boyz missed out miserably on a World Cup repeat.
    -- SW

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2kNscLN79
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Jamaica takes aim at hosting World Cup

Sean Williams

MONTEGO BAY, St James — Buoyed by the reported "success" of hosting the recent CONCACAF Under-17 Women's Championship, Jamaica will be going after bigger fish.

Football boss, Captain Horace Burrell, said in the immediate aftermath that based on Jamaica's emerging track record of organising "well-run" international tournaments, he will be spearheading the charge for the country to host a FIFA age-group World Cup in the not so distant future — an idea the football visionary has long toyed with.

"I will certainly be putting in a bid to host a junior World Cup, male or female, and I will be challenging all stakeholders in government and private sector to partner with the JFF on this," Burrell said after the final of the CONCACAF Under-17 Women's Championship at the Montego Bay Sports Complex, on Saturday night.

In outlining the potential benefits of hosting a World Cup at any level to the country, Burrell claimed that revenue inflows, exposure for brand Jamaica and the lasting legacy would catapult football and the country to a new plateau.
    "Certainly one of the legacies would be the stadia that would have to be built, or developed where they already exist, and this would certainly aid the development of the overall game here," he told the Jamaica Observer.

"I think we as a Federation and a country have done a good job in gaining the experience in organising successful international tournaments, which I believe has positioned us to bid for bigger events," said Burrell.

The just-concluded CONCACAF Under-17 Women's Championship hosted by Montego Bay, Burrell notes, showed once again Jamaica's potential of putting on first-class shows and again demonstrating their income-generating capacity.

"The figure at this time is showing that some Jamaican $100 million has flowed into the city, and that's a big boost to the tourism product here (Montego Bay).

"The hotel sector benefited as families of the seven visiting teams booked rooms, tour operators also benefited, eateries, bars, the taxi man and even those peddling small items had a boost in their businesses," Burrell told reporters.

Only Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean has hosted FIFA World Cups, having brought the Under-17 Women's and Men's tournaments to the twin-island republic.

In Montego Bay on Saturday, Mexico won the Under-17 tournament by beating Canada 4-2 on penalties at the Montego Bay Sports Complex. In the match to decide third place, the USA swamped hosts Jamaica 8-0.

Both Mexico and Canada have qualified to the FIFA Under-17 Women's World Cup to be hosted by Costa Rica next March.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2kNtU31sv
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

Sean Williams

MONTEGO BAY, St James — Buoyed by the reported "success" of hosting the recent CONCACAF Under-17 Women's Championship, Jamaica will be going after bigger fish.

Football boss, Captain Horace Burrell, said in the immediate aftermath that based on Jamaica's emerging track record of organising "well-run" international tournaments, he will be spearheading the charge for the country to host a FIFA age-group World Cup in the not so distant future — an idea the football visionary has long toyed with.

"I will certainly be putting in a bid to host a junior World Cup, male or female, and I will be challenging all stakeholders in government and private sector to partner with the JFF on this," Burrell said after the final of the CONCACAF Under-17 Women's Championship at the Montego Bay Sports Complex, on Saturday night.

In outlining the potential benefits of hosting a World Cup at any level to the country, Burrell claimed that revenue inflows, exposure for brand Jamaica and the lasting legacy would catapult football and the country to a new plateau.
      "Certainly one of the legacies would be the stadia that would have to be built, or developed where they already exist, and this would certainly aid the development of the overall game here," he told the Jamaica Observer.

"I think we as a Federation and a country have done a good job in gaining the experience in organising successful international tournaments, which I believe has positioned us to bid for bigger events," said Burrell.

The just-concluded CONCACAF Under-17 Women's Championship hosted by Montego Bay, Burrell notes, showed once again Jamaica's potential of putting on first-class shows and again demonstrating their income-generating capacity.

"The figure at this time is showing that some Jamaican $100 million has flowed into the city, and that's a big boost to the tourism product here (Montego Bay).

"The hotel sector benefited as families of the seven visiting teams booked rooms, tour operators also benefited, eateries, bars, the taxi man and even those peddling small items had a boost in their businesses," Burrell told reporters.

Only Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean has hosted FIFA World Cups, having brought the Under-17 Women's and Men's tournaments to the twin-island republic.

In Montego Bay on Saturday, Mexico won the Under-17 tournament by beating Canada 4-2 on penalties at the Montego Bay Sports Complex. In the match to decide third place, the USA swamped hosts Jamaica 8-0.

Both Mexico and Canada have qualified to the FIFA Under-17 Women's World Cup to be hosted by Costa Rica next March.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...#ixzz2kNtU31sv
      Foolishness

wi fi find money fi host Whirl Cup an wi cyaan find a few dollas fi build one likkle half dead academy an train 100 U-17 kids/year

When dem agguh kick out dis bredda name Burrell?????????????
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
      X