Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazil venues struggle to meet World Cup deadline

Brazil venues struggle to meet World Cup deadline

After a spate of building problems and public protests in Brazil, the governing body of world football, Fifa, repeatedly warned there would be "no compromise" over the delivery of World Cup stadiums.

But with Fifa's end-of-year deadline looming, several stadiums are well behind schedule and one host city, Cuiaba, has told the BBC that not only will be it unable to finish its stadium on time, but there are not even enough hotel rooms for visiting fans.

Even though Fifa only insisted on a minimum of eight stadiums to host the World Cup, Brazil decided to go with 12, such was the interest and demand from all parts of this huge nation to be a part of the tournament.

But, in hindsight, has Brazil bitten off more than it can chew?

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

World Cup 2014: No plans to move tournament from Brazil

Fifa says it has no plans to move the 2014 World Cup away from Brazil despite the latest setback to preparations for next summer's tournament.

Two workmen were killed as a crane fell and destroyed parts of Sao Paulo's Arena Corinthians stadium.

Brazil are due to play the opening match of the World Cup in the 65,000 capacity venue in less than 200 days.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Comment

Sick of these reports from the BBC. The woman reporting the stadium collapse actually had a smirk on her face as if there was anything at all jovial about the incident.

The 2014 WC will be held in Brazil and it will be one of the best ever. Time for England to stop moping about losing out to Russia.
      Last edited by Mosiah; December 1, 2013, 09:31 AM. Reason: BBC, not BCC.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It should be moved to England or the us of a

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          The 2014 WC will be held in Brazil
          Let's hope so, since, as FIFA have stated, there is no Plan B.
          - Xavi

Comment

The only Plan B I remember FIFA ever really having for a World Cup was when Colombia was in serious trouble and eventually gave it up to Mexico.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Anyway, it's ridiculous to act as if there's some kind of anti-Brazilian plot being cooked up by the British here.

A major accident just destroyed part of a stadium, killing two workers in the process. With six months to go several stadiums are well behind schedule, and one host city openly admits theirs won't be ready in time.

You don't think this is making the news in other countries around the world?
              - Xavi

Comment

Not saying there is a plot, but you have to wonder...what's the grinning about?

Why do they keep reporting that the stadium collapsed? Something fell on the stadium! A small part of the stadium!!

If yuh don't believe they need to make that distinction, then explaining it to you may not help either.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Oh no, looks like the Canadians are reporting the story too:
                  http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stru...line-1.2446330

And the Italians:
                  http://www.corrieredellosport.it/cal...dio,+tre+morti

And the Spanish:
                  http://www.mundodeportivo.com/201311...394580859.html

And the Mexicans:
                  http://www.excelsior.com.mx/adrenali...3/11/27/930841

Guess it's a worldwide conspiracy then, with the aim of seeing Brazil lose the tournament.
                  - Xavi

Comment

Surely you are smarter than this, Zeppo!

Read this slowly. Twice!

I don't have a problem with reporting the accident. It must be reported! But it is misleading and mean to say the stadium collapsed without first saying a crane toppled over on the damn thing!!! You make the architect, the contractor and the worker look bad. Yes, the fault lies somewhere but by leaving it like that visitors to the World Cup are now going to be thinking as they take their seats, "I wonder if this is another of the rush jobs? Will the roof fall on top of me if the cheers get too loud?!? No need to spread fear among spectators.

Anyway, like most subjects on this Forum, no matter how simple and how many times one tries to clarify the point, I expect you to not get this one.

Carry on! Let's just call it a conspiracy. Can't say I didn't call it early!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

In your initial post in this thread you dismissed the BBC report as English whining about not getting to host the World Cup -- never mind the fact that they bid on a completely different tournament.

And the article I posted clearly states: The deaths occurred when a crane fell and destroyed parts of Sao Paulo's Arena Corinthians stadium.

So I have no idea what you're rambling on about regarding the stadium collapsing on its own, smirking reporters, etc.
                      - Xavi

Comment

I am rambling on about the very first post made about the mishap, days before yours. It was from Bruce, that said,

BREAKING NEWS: Roof Collapse At Sao Paolo WC Venue, 3 Dead
                        SAO PAOLO, Brazil- The roof of the east stand of the stadium, under construction, scheduled to host the opening match of the 2014 World Cup has collapsed, killing three people. Early reports say that the accident was caused by a crane collapse.

Organizers of the Brazil World Cup said the Sao Paolo stadium was 94 percent complete. Several other stadiums are behind schedule.
                        Several other reports said pretty much the same thing.

I just happened to comment about that unfortunate line in your post because your post was current. Your post itself was not more important than anyone else's.

I don't know why you have taken it so personal! I never said you were part of the conspiracy so take a chill pill!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Six stadiums to miss FIFA deadline

Brazil has admitted all its stadiums still under construction for the 2014 football World Cup will not be ready by Fifa's original 31 December deadline.

Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo said the six venues - in Sao Paulo, Curitiba, Porto Alegre, Cuiaba, Manaus and Natal - would be finished in January.

Construction problems - coupled with public protests about the money being spent - have delayed the preparations.

(continue)
                          - Xavi

Comment

The conspiracy continues!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

surely?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X