Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collymore blasts Twitter for racist users

Stan Collymore blasts Twitter for not tackling racist users

Retired player-turned-pundit has been racially abused on social media and received death threats
    Written by Rykesha Hudson
    22/01/2014 11:44 AM

ACTION CALL: Collymore wants Twitter to stop users from racially abusing others (PA)

EX-ENGLAND STRIKER Stan Collymore has accused Twitter of not doing enough to tackle racist, sexist and homophobic messages after he was targeted by internet trolls over the weekend.
    On Tuesday (Jan 21), police confirmed that they were investigating a series of offensive messages directed at the former footballer after he suggested Liverpool's Luis Suarez cheated by diving during Saturday's (Jan 18) match against Aston Villa.
    Since the match, Collymore has been retweeting some of the abusive tweets he has received, including death threats, to his half of a million followers and has called on Twitter to take action.
    He wrote: “In the last 24 hours I've been threatened with murder several times, demeaned on my race, and many of these accounts are still active. Why?”
    “I accuse Twitter directly of not doing enough to combat racist/homophobic/sexist hate messages, all of which are illegal in the UK.”
    The 42-year-old shared his shock that Twitter had still not taken any action.
    In another tweet, he said: “Several Police forces have been fantastic. Twitter haven't. Dismayed.”
    Former Britain’s Got Talent judge and journalist, Piers Morgan was also subjected to abusive tweets after he joined calls for police and Twitter to take action over the abusive messages aimed at Collymore.
    The former tabloid editor tweeted: "I repeat, racist abuse & death threats both criminal offences in UK. So keep spewing it, trolls, and I will have you ALL dealt with."
    West Midlands Police confirmed on its official Twitter page that Staffordshire Police were investigating "alleged abusive tweets to Stan Collymore" and urged people to block and report abuse at report-it.org.uk.
    Yesterday night, a Twitter spokeswoman said the company was unable to comment on individual users.
    However she pointed out that targeted abuse was against the social media site’s rules and the site had recently made it easier for users to report abusive messages to them.

Posted on: 22/01/2014 11:44 AM

---------
    internet is the venue for cowards & racists to spew their venom.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Yes, the idiots need to be charged to the full extent of the law!
    Peter R

Comment

What happened to freedom of speech,an american football player made an outburst after a game and he was bombarded with racist tweets,no one was prosecuted but the media weighed in on the tone of disgust.

Englands constitution has issues.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

i mean really...it's the internet...just ignore it...

Comment

True, people get too wound up over morons online and the posting of pictures they don't like and comments on bulletin boards.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Hortical, too many people hide behind the "relative anonymity" of the internet to spout racist comments and foment hatred.

Should society have a different standard of behaviour for the internet? just asking an opinion.
            Peter R

Comment

No, same standard. Twitter has 645,750,000 users, and about 10% are fake. Unlike a bulletin board or a newspaper's website, which can be monitored, don't know what be done with twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                What happened to freedom of speech,an american football player made an outburst after a game and he was bombarded with racist tweets,no one was prosecuted but the media weighed in on the tone of disgust.

Englands constitution has issues.
                England (UK) does not have a constitution. What is unequivocal is that racism and discrimination is illegal by law in the UK, regardless of whether it is via written form or verbally. What is unclear is whether or not the internet publisher has any legal obligation to police dialogue on their sites...so maybe half of dem on this board woulda get juk for abusing Suarez. Freedom of speech is also not a right in the UK, as there are no "rights" as they have no constitution...so laws can be enacted for anything as I understand it. There is no question imo, a constitution is a good thing.
                "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

England has been motoring on well without a Constitution...but there is this tradition of 'doing right' as the particular time dictates (Noted that some of those 'doings/doing right(s)' are now seen/recognised as horrible practices).

Strange about England and its society supposedly rigid way of doing things the traditional way...yet there has been significant 'kicking over of the traces'. ...but it works for 'them'.
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I try to be careful what I say about anyone on this site, or if I make a comment on FB etc. You never know who's watching. I also try to keep in mind that there is usually a person behind the names on message boards.

I read somewhere that FB is even keeping track of comments that you wrote but didn't post. This big brother thing is a little too much. That doesn't seem to faze some people.
                    Peter R

Comment

Everything & everyone is monitored. It nuh phase me and babylon can tek we away at a moments notice.

Comment

Working...
                      X