• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkes moves to El Salvador

Parkes moves to El Salvador
    Published: Wednesday | January 29, 2014

Nodley Wright, Gleaner Writer

Jamaica representative Romeo Parkes could make his debut for Salvadorean champions AsociaciĆ³n Deportiva Isidro Metapan today against Club Deportivo Dragon.

The 23-year-old Parkes, who earned his sole national cap against Cuba, completed the move from St Georges Sports Club to the Central American club on the weekend after a three-day trial. Parkes' deal is for one year.

"I could have made my debut on the weekend, but the release did not come in time," said the six-footer, who also represented Jamaica at the Under-20 and Under-23 levels.

Parkes, the third Jamaican playing in that country following Sean Fraser and Jermaine 'Tuffy' Anderson, who transferred from Waterhouse recently, said he is very comfortable.

"This is the first place that I have been to where I feel so welcome. They have all embraced me. It is like I am at home; the weather and the people make me feel like I am in Jamaica. The only issue is the Spanish, and I am catching on," said the St Mary native, who made his name at St Georges as a 17-year-old after moving from Albion Mountain in his home parish.

The move to El Salvador, Parkes said, was made possible by a Jamaican, Bobby Austin, who saw him playing in the Bronx League and recommended him to the club.

"He (Austin) saw me playing in the Bronx League and spoke to someone he knows and I came over for a trial. I trained for three days and signed on the fourth day.

"This is really a big opportunity for me. They are the defending champions and will be competing in the CONCACAF Champions League, so if I do well, anything could happen," explained the player who also had stints at Tivoli Gardens, Alanyaspor (Turkey), Highgate, Boys' Town and, most recently, Portmore United.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...f1A_g.facebook
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Wasn't this guy supposed to be a TSA client? Does TSA exist anymore?

Comment

Bronx league transfer
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
      X