• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunderland star wants to be a Reggae Boy

Sunderland star wants to be a Boy
    published: Thursday | May 17, 2007

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

AFTER AN exceptional season for newly-promoted English Championship division outfit Sunderland, defender Nyron Nosworthy is ready to heed the call of Jamaica's Reggae Boyz, if or when it is made.

Nosworthy, who signed with Sunderland on a free transfer from Gillingham in 2005, was a key part of the team's successful bid for promotion to the top flight which saw them finish in the top spot.

While born in Brixton, south London, the player affectionately known as 'Nuggsy', is of Jamaican ancestry by virtue of the fact that his father is Jamaican and apparently that has played a key role in his active interest in representing the nation.

Representing Jamaica
    "It's Jamaica for me, hands down. My dad is from there and I'd like to represent them," said Nosworthy in a chat with fans on the club's official website when asked about the possibility of representing England.

The 25-year-old who plays with Trinidad and Tobago's Dwight Yorke, is capable of playing both the right back and centre-back positions. He has spent most of his career playing the former, but has been a revelation since being moved to the centre-back position by Sunderland boss Roy Keane. In fact, he was voted Sunderland's player of the year for the recently-concluded season.

"I have to concentrate a lot more now and organise the people around me," Nosworthy was quoted as saying.

"I've taken to the position and we are winning games. I'm enjoying it and I think it has brought my game on a lot," he said.

Nosworthy's interest could be good news for Jamaica who will be looking to bulk up their defensive unit ahead of the 2010 World Cup qualifiers which start early next year.

Efforts to reach the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) officials to see if they had had any contact with the Sunderland defender were unsuccessful.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

he is definitely a player we should be considering, especially with our situation at right back.

Comment

Here we go again!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

suh wait. British players are no longer a part of our player pool?

Comment

What? Mosiah you think NPL'ers can play football...(to world standard)? They suck even at regional standard. Jamaican football need all the professional help it can get.

I saw the cup final between Boys town and Portmore and I wanted to barf.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            Sunderland star wants to be a Boy
            published: Thursday | May 17, 2007

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

AFTER AN exceptional season for newly-promoted English Championship division outfit Sunderland, defender Nyron Nosworthy is ready to heed the call of Jamaica's Reggae Boyz, if or when it is made.

Nosworthy, who signed with Sunderland on a free transfer from Gillingham in 2005, was a key part of the team's successful bid for promotion to the top flight which saw them finish in the top spot.

While born in Brixton, south London, the player affectionately known as 'Nuggsy', is of Jamaican ancestry by virtue of the fact that his father is Jamaican and apparently that has played a key role in his active interest in representing the nation.

Representing Jamaica
            "It's Jamaica for me, hands down. My dad is from there and I'd like to represent them," said Nosworthy in a chat with fans on the club's official website when asked about the possibility of representing England.

The 25-year-old who plays with Trinidad and Tobago's Dwight Yorke, is capable of playing both the right back and centre-back positions. He has spent most of his career playing the former, but has been a revelation since being moved to the centre-back position by Sunderland boss Roy Keane. In fact, he was voted Sunderland's player of the year for the recently-concluded season.

"I have to concentrate a lot more now and organise the people around me," Nosworthy was quoted as saying.

"I've taken to the position and we are winning games. I'm enjoying it and I think it has brought my game on a lot," he said.

Nosworthy's interest could be good news for Jamaica who will be looking to bulk up their defensive unit ahead of the 2010 World Cup qualifiers which start early next year.

Efforts to reach the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) officials to see if they had had any contact with the Sunderland defender were unsuccessful.
            Karl where was this article published ? what is the source ?

Comment

Yes H.L I agree why bother with a local program after all there is none , our past accomplishments under Burrell with our locals were a joke , a starting 11 of UB40s is what we need from juniors to seniors , with C.B at the helm Africa here we come, I am begging to see your vision of the direction we must take.

All we have to do is vote in the good ole captain and all will be well ,I trust he learnt from his last mistake that local talent must be abandoned for the forgeiners that want to play for us .BTW can you give me a starting 11 of UB40s who you would draft in , if thats too hard any 11 that could take us to AFRICA .Only a local coach of CB pedigree can relate to such professionals after all he won the Digicup and did a year of internship at Bolton , gaining a certificate in residency or was it football.

BRING BACK THE CAP , BRING BACK C.B , LETS GO UB40 or UB US !
              Last edited by Sir X; May 17, 2007, 12:35 PM.
              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The Gleaner
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly View Post
                  Karl where was this article published ? what is the source ?
                  Gleaner
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Here we go again!
                    You dont think the man deserve to at least prove to the coaching staff that he belong on teh team? Who in the NPL right now better than this youth? If it was up to people like you we would have people like Crneston, Cral Brown, and bunch of bush ballers from the NPL representing Jamaica's football. We all know where that will get us-NOWHERE.
                    President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                      What? Mosiah you think NPL'ers can play football...(to world standard)? They suck even at regional standard. Jamaican football need all the professional help it can get.

I saw the cup final between Boys town and Portmore and I wanted to barf.
                      No worry HL mek dem stay de tink we a go Africa wid the local NPL'ers

I am yet to se any one of them except Fabian Davis who can cut the mustard as they say at French'ies.

Like it or not an all local team will not even get through the first round of qualyfing.

Comment

Thats an area where we are thin too.

Comment

mo tell Jerry Hue to contact Mo Jhonson @ Tornoto FC seriously. They could use him.

Comment

X, I have a 100% accuracy record for making correct calls and predictions on this site.

Most (if not all) of my thoughts and views are not stated to make folks happy.
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
                              mo tell Jerry Hue to contact Mo Jhonson @ Tornoto FC seriously. They could use him.
                              u sure ? unhuh no win 2 inna row ? for a rookie franchise that's like winning a championship ?

U right though Hue needs to come back to MLS

Comment

Working...
                              X