Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moyes blames 'ageing' squad for Man Utd's poor showing

David Moyes blames 'ageing' squad for Manchester United's poor showing

David Moyes has defended his disastrous first season in charge of Manchester United, claiming even Sir Alex Ferguson would have struggled had he still been the manager due to the "ageing" squad he inherited.

Ferguson retired in the summer having won 13 Premier League titles, two European Cups, five FA Cups and four League Cups. But he left with four of his first-choice team reaching veteran age. Nemanja Vidic, now 32, will leave for Internazionale in the summer, and Patrice Evra, 32, could also be on his way out. Robin van Persie, 30, and Michael Carrick, 32, are also in their fourth decade.

Moyes said: "I actually think if Sir Alex was here this year it would be difficult for Sir Alex as well, and I'm sure he'd be aware of it. I think people are aware there's a squad that is a bit more ageing, so I think it would have been a tough season for probably whoever was in charge of Manchester United this year."

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi
Working...
X