Does anyone here remember that league called

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here remember that league called

the Red Stripe Premier League? It's a little competition they run in Jamaica. No, not Jamaica, Queens!f The one where they smoke we...the one where cricket is a dying sport and where the sprinters come from, that Jamaica!

Ok!

It might interest you to know that one of the most successful clubs and champions a mere 2 years ago was relegated over the weekend. Portmore United was sent to the Lee leagues after a 3-1 loss to Humble Lion FC, one of two Clarendon teams the league.

Portmore United FC, formerly the kingpins of Clarendon, moved to the Portmore area of St. Catherine several years ago and now will be competing with the likes of Albion, Christian Pen and Ewarton. Their drop from glory has been precipitous. Imagine Man City being relegated this season...ah, if wishes were horses...

I understand Captain Burrell made a statement that the rules will not changed to prevent this relegation. Apparently, it has been the feeling of many that the JFF, whose managers have had a close association with Portmore over the years, would not allow Portmore to go down.

Meanwhile, the rest of the premier league teams should have an active summer break, starting from last night, trying to secure the services of the many talented players at the club. Ricardo Morris, Andrew Vanzie, Paul Wilson, Adrian Reid, Ewan Grandison, Alanzo Adlam, "Keke" and a few others all have national experience at some level and could help some of the other campaigners step it up a notch next season.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Interesting, I heard they were on the verge of relegation.

Two things,

One is Humble Lions still being coached by that JC old boy!
    Two why would any of the teams really want to touch that group of overwhelming talent that could not get it together to even save their own team, no thank you, I will look for some other talent,those that I can actually influence.

Comment

Is Horace Reid still with Portmore. I notice I haven't heard much of him since he started working in NY. Man that is a big blow for Portmore. This is a team that has one of the biggest fan base in local football and a few years ago was the hub for a lot of transferring of players out of Jamaica.

Hard to understand but a so it go. Hope they can come again. Why would Burrell change the rule? but then again it is Jamaica.

Wish them all the best and hopefully they can put their thing forward. When you get relegated it is sometimes hard to get back, even if you are an organized club. My club dealing with that issue right now.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yes, Humble Lion is still being coached by "that JC old boy!"

Stoni, isn't it possible that the players who won the league 2 years ago were simply not coached out motivated properly this year?

I also think Horace Reid's CONCACAF's duties reduced his influence on the club in many ways, resulting in their demise. There may be some other problems but I won't get into them here.

Their field, never the best, had been worked on by Brandon Murray only a few years ago. Now, it's among the worst in the league.

If there is one player that every team in the league could use and even the national team it is Ricardo Morris. Some of the others I named have not lived up to expectation and may be in reverse.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I was wondering why we haven't seen the poster Lionheart in quite a while.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

man u from last season to this ... what changed other than the manager?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              the Red Stripe Premier League? It's a little competition they run in Jamaica. No, not Jamaica, Queens!f The one where they smoke we...the one where cricket is a dying sport and where the sprinters come from, that Jamaica!

That's back in the days Mosiah.

Reno FC were the Kings of country football.

Andred Andrews, his brother Miss Pang (Goffe), Sweety Simith, Boyous etcetc,,,

Good ole days that
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

they're affected by the fall from grace of "werl boss" ??
                Peter R

Comment

Not directly, I don't think, but it is quite possible that a pall of gloom has descended on the entire Sunshine City in recent times. When last has Lionpaw paid us a visit?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yup!
                    I have been watching them after a terrible start to this season's competition.
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                    X