• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recalled Wolfe craves success at the top

Recalled Wolfe craves success at the top
    ANDREW HANCEL, Observer staff reporter
    Thursday, May 24, 2007

Wolry Wolfe (right) is tackled by Nigel Ellis of Village United during an NPL match last season. (Observer file photo)
    After spending three years out of the national programme, midfielder Wolry Wolfe believes his hard work is paying dividends after earning a recall to the national senior team.

Wolfe, 25, is among a 24-man squad selected by technical director Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic for the June 5 international friendly at the National Stadium against South American side Chile.

Speaking to the Observer shortly after the squad was announced, the Portmore United playmaker said he has achieved one of his main objectives this season.

"Getting the call was actually what I was working towards, because that's the reason I didn't go back to Trinidad," said Wolfe, who also plays for champions Joe Public in the Trinidad & Tobago Pro League, which is currently in its second round.

"Now part of the job is finished, so now the next part... is to keep myself in the national team," Wolfe added.

The left-footed attacking player became a prominent figure at the national level since leaving Jonathan Grant High, where he helped his alma mater to the 1999 Urban Area Walker Cup schoolboy KO title.

In addition, Wolfe - who is a very good dribbler of the ball - has gone on to represent the national team at the Under-20 and Under-23 levels.

On earning his first call to the senior team in 2004, Wolfe suffered a broken finger and remained on the periphery of the team until Milutinovic spotted him during the final round of the Wray & Nephew National Premier League (NPL).

In nine outings for premiership runners-up Portmore United, Wolfe scored five times while creating numerous goal-scoring chances for his teammates, displaying his attacking skills in his customary languid style.

"I wanted the national coach to see me so I chose not to go, (to T&T)," Wolfe disclosed. "Even the coach and management in Trinidad... they really wanted me to come back, asking me what it would take for me to come back, but I told them no, because I wanted to get into the national team. It was something that I was really working towards," he explained.

One thing that appears certain is that Wolfe is in for the long haul, and he makes no secret of his desire for success at the top level.

"You know coaches normally go for the overseas players because they have the experience... but that's a challenge for me and I will be working twice as hard as them (overseas-based players).

"...Keep focussed and disciplined, try and work as hard as possible and to do anything that it takes for me to be there, which I'm prepared to do," is the challenge Wolfe has currently set himself.

Since accepting the job of spearheading the Reggae Boyz's drive to reach the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, Milutinovic has made it clear he will be going for players who have exhibited a greater level of intelligence rather than on natural ability.

No doubt Wolfe possesses both attributes; however, those characteristics which coach Bora would have seen in the slender midfielder will be put to the test in the very near future.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

best winger i had seen in JA

wish him the best
    Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
    Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Unless I am terribly mistaken, that is not a picture of Woolry Wolfe. Woolry does not play for Harbour View, and Woolry, well, he just doesn't look like that. And, frankly, I find it rather racist to think that all Wolfes look alike!

The picture shows Keneil Wolfe. Check this link for a pic of Woolry (or Wolry).

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/playerpr...squad=Under-23

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
      X