X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blades cut short Shelton's dream

Blades cut short Shelton's dream
    published: Thursday | May 24, 2007

Shelton ... Shone for Sheffield United against Manchester United earlier in the season. - file

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

DREAMS OF playing in England's top tier finally came true for national striker Luton Shelton this past season.However, they vanished just as quickly following the relegation of his team, Sheffield United, on the final day of the season.

Needing only a draw to survive, the Blades failed in their bid to stay in the top flight as they went down 1-2 at home to Wigan. In fact, the Reggae Boy never even got the chance to take part in his team's last hurrah, as while being included in the squad for the fixture, he was left out of the final 16 ahead of the game.

"It was very disappointing because we were at a stage that all we really needed was a draw to stay up," Shelton told The Gleaner.

"Right now it's quite depressing because I was in the Premiership, and I would have liked to stay there," explained Shelton, who was not only frustrated with being left out of the team's final game, but with a lack of playing time in general.

Got just two starts
    In fact, since signing a 2 million contract with the team from Swedish side Helsingborg back in January, the striker has managed just two starts and come on as a substitute in four other games.

This was despite major injuries to forwards Danny Webber and key man Rob Hulse. The striker, who had an impressive showing against Premier-ship champions Manchester United earlier in the season, is now keen to show his abilities in the Champion-ship League.

"I'll just keep going out there and giving it my best," Shelton said. "I was doing well in Sweden and I thought that when I came to England I would have got more consistent playing time because of my contract," he said. "I think that if I had more playing time I would have been more confident and able to get a few goals," he said.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post

"I'll just keep going out there and giving it my best," Shelton said. "I was doing well in Sweden and I thought that when I came to England I would have got more consistent playing time because of my contract," he said. "I think that if I had more playing time I would have been more confident and able to get a few goals," he said.
    Could Luton be saying he was "tentative"?
    Last edited by Karl; May 24, 2007, 09:44 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl you think sitting on the bench fi 3 or 4 months build confidence?
      That is what the man talking bout.

You ever sit on a bench when you feel you better than maybe all 11 players on the field?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Very unfortunate. hope im go knock on Sunderland's doors

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          Karl you think sitting on the bench fi 3 or 4 months build confidence?
          That is what the man talking bout.

You ever sit on a bench when you feel you better than maybe all 11 players on the field?
          I hear you!
          ...but, does sitting on the bench make you a wee bit tentative when you do come off?

I think I have heard players and coaches taking about the 'just off the bench' player needing a little time to settle in? If I have heard such sayings...could that mean the players being spoken about were a little tentative - a bit unsure - not as comfortable -not confident - thus feeling their way - thus tentative?

I wonder why I used that word tentative when speaking of the Luton a saw in the EPL?
          Last edited by Karl; May 24, 2007, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Karl, yuh great!

Karl, the Great! Nice ring to it!

Wasn't there a king of Sweden by that name?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"Tentative", Karl. Yuh go good school!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                "Tentative", Karl. Yuh go good school!
                Sorry!
                I'll make all the changes now!

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                  I hear you!
                  ...but, does sitting on the bench make you a wee bit tentative when you do come off?

I think I have heard players and coaches taking about the 'just off the bench' player needing a little time to settle in? If I have heard such sayings...could that mean the players being spoken about were a little tentative - a bit unsure - not as comfortable -not confident - thus feeling their way - thus tentative?

I wonder why I used that word tentative when speaking of the Luton a saw in the EPL?
                  Karl fe once yuh win a hargument. I concede!!!!
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                    Karl fe once yuh win a hargument. I concede!!!!
                    Dem iffen mi try...try...han try ha-gen mi nuh mus rite hat leeest waaan time?

Comment

Working...
                    X