Portugal draw 'most viewed' football game in US history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How yuh a gwaan so me dawg??
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

MyYout, you ever researched the origin of the word "soccer". It was used FIRST by the English in the 1800s when "football" was called "association football" and "rugby" was referred to as "rugby football".

It is said that the upper class referred to "football" as "association football" and the term was shortened to "soccer". This term never caught on with the masses it seemed who stuck with just "football".

"Soccer" when transplanted to USA as a sport remained "soccer" as the yanks already called their game "football".

Point is, the Americans never invented nor changed what was already being done in England.

That's the basic story of the name as I have heard and read.
      Peter R

Comment

We used to cuss them when they were trying to alter the game in MLS by deciding that games cannot end in a draw, so they had to have penalty kick off among other deviations from the regular game. That has changed however.

There is still an underlying current of hate for the USA game. Why is that the case, I am not sure.

I will support the USA whenever they are not playing against Jamaica. I have no issues with that.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

True enough. They tried to introduce some "innovations"... remember the offside line? I actually like the one on one with the goalie vs the penalty kick... FIFA held firm I guess and they had to fall in line with convention.
          Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
            Would you believe that I saw a FB comment where a man seh him nuh like USA because dem call de game "soccer"??? How petty can a man get?
            Tell that FB eejit the term "soccer" was originally developed by the British, not the Americans:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....e-word-soccer/
            "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

conqueror speak wi all jump to di muzik, yuh fraid ah di N e, nuh worry yuhself ah dem same one institute di N to. One change di reference to a game an one change di reference to ah people. Wi haffi hug up all ah dem ,kah nu dem run tings.

Comment

Working...
              X