America's newfound passion for the beautiful game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's newfound passion for the beautiful game

This year’s World Cup has arguably been one of the most thrilling soccer competitions to date, featuring memorable story lines such as early exits for the defending World Champions and England, the inventors of the beautiful game.

But the one talking point that has seemed to resonate around the globe has been the Americans’ newfound passion and love for the game through the first month of the tournament.

Domestically, the passion for soccer had already been on the rise, with Major League Soccer (MLS) becoming stronger and stronger each year, but the rest of the world was relatively unaware of the growth of the game stateside.

Until now…

http://orlandocitysc.com/news/?article_id=1925
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

I am happy to see it too. There are still some folks who resists, but it is taking roots.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Nice!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

America has arrived , the humbleness of the commentary is superb, Lalas seems more reserved and grounded, last world cup he was talking up the USA as if they were in Brazil class, now even Ghana gets respect.
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

passion for the World Cup and passion for the game are two different things...like I said before not even a million people i nthe US watched the crucial Liverpool v Chelsea match to decide the EPL...

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
            passion for the World Cup and passion for the game are two different things...like I said before not even a million people i nthe US watched the crucial Liverpool v Chelsea match to decide the EPL...
            "passion for the World Cup and passion for the game are two different things..."

True

"not even a million people in the US watched the crucial Liverpool v Chelsea match to decide the EPL"

That wouldn't be a good benchmark. What about those fans that don't like any of those teams? What about those that just want La Liga or Seria A? I have a coworker from Italy who only watch Seria A.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

there is passion. Many American parents and kids who love soccer is at the playing field with kids on Saturday and Sunday morning in the spring at that time. Does that count as passion too?
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

the most watched match (in the USA) was Liverpool vs Arsenal on November 2nd. That match drew 991,000 viewers
                The apetura championship match between Club America and Leon drew 3.3 million viewers for Univision
                The immigrants have passion for football...a country of 250 million and they can't get 1 million people to watch top class football on television? EPL is the most watched in the USA so why bring up Seria A & La Liga?

Comment

i call that spending time with your kids without them getting a broken neck...

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                    The immigrants have passion for football...a country of 250 million and they can't get 1 million people to watch top class football on television? EPL is the most watched in the USA so why bring up Seria A & La Liga?
                    BT, there are fans of other football leagues other than the EPL. Univison is on basic cable, have you considered that NBCSN is on a more expensive package? What about those who use interwebs as you called it to watch the game? Are they counted in the 991,000 viewers?

The reality more and more Americans are into the game. Some give a lot of wrong information, but at least they're talking about it.

Why you think Ann Coulter want to cut her own wrists after seeing Americans loving the game even more?
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Too busy following MLS. No time for bush leagues
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

there are fans of other leagues...but EPL is the most watched...and can't draw a million people to watch a game...so the viewership for those other leagues is even worse...

Comment

That is true to a point. I don't really think professional club football will ever be a top draw among US viewers. They are too conditioned and emotionally wrapped up in domestic US sports at the professional and college level. That is a LOT of sports already, I think there is a limit on how much you can reasonably follow closely.

However I expect MLS to keep growing into a very decent league with a solid following not just among immigrants but mainstream Americans as well. Seattle is hardly a popular immigrant destination yet their MLS club has the largest fan base.

Comment

Also the professional league comes on in the morning. Only sports junkie watch sports in the morning, the other junkies are sleeping off the liquor they had at the sports bar watching the college game the night before and getting ready for the evening.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Mi stop follow common ball long time. World Cup, Confed Cup, Euro Champs and maybe a Champions league final if the sides are good, maybe.

WCup rules!

Comment

Working...
                              X