No announcement yet.

2014 Brazil World Cup: Day 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! I hope it brought back some pleasant memories for them.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"Only then did I notice an absence of Indians."

This statement threw me for a loop because I was thinking "native Indians" because you were in South America, but I figured out you are talking "******s".
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I read MO's story with much interest.

As a teen I read a book by Gerald Durrell ( I read several of his books) which recounted his trip to Guyana made in the fifties, then British Guiana or B-G for short. The book was "Three Singles to Adventure". He, if I remember correctly, was in search of a three-toed sloth.

I was in third or fourth form then and I read it with keen interest as I was intrigued that someone would write an adventure book about Guyana. Then, I had no appreciation for the geographic diversity as well as flora and fauna of the country even though we had lived there when I was about four to six years old.. You, Paul, were a baby when we went. It is a good read, however dated, but Mr Durrell (an Englishman ) was a noted naturalist who subsequently opened an animal sanctuary on one of the channel islands.

Mo, The book our Pops wrote uses a trip he made into the interior, with his medical team (Indo-Guyanese) that accompanies a team of policemen (Afro-Guyanese) and a boatman (Euro -Guyanese) to investigate the killing of an indigenous person in his settlement, as a metaphor for the political journey BG had made between the thirties to the then present day.

His description of the trip is compelling. The political aspect and conclusions I won't comment on. But I did not know Pops to be a naturalist or an ecologist or one so connected with the environment. For a western medical man he has a tremendous amount of respect for medicine as practised by the aboriginal peoples of Guyana.

As kids we would travel up the Demerara regularly in one of those canoes powered with a low HP outboard, to a property our aunt owned. She grew citrus crops mainly and half the time the couple workers who lived on the property spent, was just to keep the jungle back.

Interesting place and if you're into the eco-tourism thing definitely a place to visit! From Mo's description the night-life sounds good... but at my age and stage, a trip to one of the many eco-lodges that have sprung up sounds like my next trip to Guyana.

That segment of Mo's trip from Brazil to GT is well worth re-reading!
        Peter R

Comment

I was not in South America. I was in Guyana!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Okkkkaayyy then, Mr. America-is-the-world-and-don't-know-anywhere-else.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
              I read MO's story with much interest.

As a teen I read a book by Gerald Durrell ( I read several of his books) which recounted his trip to Guyana made in the fifties, then British Guiana or B-G for short. The book was "Three Singles to Adventure". He, if I remember correctly, was in search of a three-toed sloth.

I was in third or fourth form then and I read it with keen interest as I was intrigued that someone would write an adventure book about Guyana. Then, I had no appreciation for the geographic diversity as well as flora and fauna of the country even though we had lived there when I was about four to six years old.. You, Paul, were a baby when we went. It is a good read, however dated, but Mr Durrell (an Englishman ) was a noted naturalist who subsequently opened an animal sanctuary on one of the channel islands.

Mo, The book our Pops wrote uses a trip he made into the interior, with his medical team (Indo-Guyanese) that accompanies a team of policemen (Afro-Guyanese) and a boatman (Euro -Guyanese) to investigate the killing of an indigenous person in his settlement, as a metaphor for the political journey BG had made between the thirties to the then present day.

His description of the trip is compelling. The political aspect and conclusions I won't comment on. But I did not know Pops to be a naturalist or an ecologist or one so connected with the environment. For a western medical man he has a tremendous amount of respect for medicine as practised by the aboriginal peoples of Guyana.

As kids we would travel up the Demerara regularly in one of those canoes powered with a low HP outboard, to a property our aunt owned. She grew citrus crops mainly and half the time the couple workers who lived on the property spent, was just to keep the jungle back.

Interesting place and if you're into the eco-tourism thing definitely a place to visit! From Mo's description the night-life sounds good... but at my age and stage, a trip to one of the many eco-lodges that have sprung up sounds like my next trip to Guyana.

That segment of Mo's trip from Brazil to GT is well worth re-reading!
              Thanks again for the compliments.

I'm happy I got a taste of the Guyana jungle.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
              X