Not one group runner up made final 8!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not one group runner up made final 8!

All the group winners won their game, even though many were very close it is interesting that all eight group winners went through and not one group runner up made it to next stage. Probably the best group runner up performance was Chile.

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
    All the group winners won their game, even though many were very close it is interesting that all eight group winners went through and not one group runner up made it to next stage. Probably the best group runner up performance was Chile.
    Really? What about Algeria?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Mexico too?

Algeria has played the most fluid game of all participants there in 2014.

Comment

Yes... they played a very easy on the eyes ball; Bradley could learn a thing or two from that team, how to step around a man and make space for a MORE EFFECTIVE pass...
        Peter R

Comment

They were good but at no point did I feel Germany was packing their bags. I definitely was getting antsy on the Brasil chile game.

Comment

Very pretty ball. i recall some triangle formations around the GERMAN right back with 1 touch ball.

Comment

What! Does Pretty ball now equals effective competitive ball, I have not seen that since well 1982 and that team lost.

Comment

It hasn't since maybe 1970 or so. lol.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

iStonibot, what yuh have against pretty ball so? The game is played for entertainment also you know.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Thanks for the new nickname Jangle, precious biz.
                    Me defend winning first and last, that is it, no matter how it look. Pretty ball nice but it never win anything yet, not since I been watching anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
                      What! Does Pretty ball now equals effective competitive ball, I have not seen that since well 1982 and that team lost.
                      Apparently you jumped to that conclusion and/or interpreted my post that way. The truth is Algeria played "pretty ball" as you termed it (I said easy on the eyes ) and at the same time competitive and effective ball. They could just as easily have sent the Germans packing. It's important that when you play, win lose or draw, that you play well, and you cannot deny that they did just that.
                      Peter R

Comment

Sorry Peter it was more Willi's post on Algeria that I responded to, at the end of the day the same holds, even though a lot of pretty ball was played by these sides, none actually won or disrupted the parade of monster football nations and the ones that have won their groups are playing fundamental ball, that is Belgium and cr, though Colombia is playing a style that I am not so sure what it is.

Comment

Working...
                        X