The US Soccer development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The US Soccer development

Over the past few years at least in the Atlanta metro thereis huge development of soccer. There were some community teams, basicallypeople who rented the community parks and run their soccer teams. Over the last3 years, many of these teams are been bought out by well-run outfits. An example is in the immediate area where Ilive SSA bought out 6 community teams, each with 3000-4000 kids and growing. InMarietta there is NASA doing the same thing. This is happening all overAtlanta. YMCA is also involved. SSA is connected to Chelsea Football Club. TheJersey is the same as Chelsea’s and changes every two years. They also haveassociation with Nike and soccer.com. Chelsea coaches also come to some camps.In the fall and spring there are tournaments every week.

Very good coaches are finding themselves in these academiesas it means stable job and a decent wage. Coaches like Simon Davies (former UKClub coach) Paul Young (former Jamaican national team coach) and the list goeson. Technically at the young youth level, the US realized a few years ago thatmore concentration has to be placed on holding the ball and short passing andmoving. In college when I played most of the teams would just get the ball downthe wing and cross for headers. Now at the youth level the academy, the USsoccer is encouraging rolling the ball out to the side and building plays. Itwill mean teams who play this game at the youth level will sometimes lose the ball;this is what they are encouraging. Less emphasis is place on heading and bigclearance. Most of the academies areemploying skill coaches for the elite groups to work at least one session perweek. One drawback is that some academies believe in playing their best playerin defense most of the time. I can’t see through that philosophy. The top academiesare competing with MLS Academies.

The people are seeing that soccer is not gender or racespecific and it doesn’t matter size or looks. It is a sport that gives everyonea chance and builds team spirit and confidence in kids. Before this year, Inever thought the US could win a world Cup in my lifetime but right now Ibelieve it is possible. The support on the ground is swelling and people aregetting involved. It was no surprise when Falcon’s owner Arthur Blanc’sdaughter was a youth soccer player so it was no surprise when he decided to geta new MLS team. 20 million people involved will mean more supporters as itmeans another 20 thousand plus parents and family who goes to game. The kind ofpassion for the US team I saw in the last few days was overwhelming.

As Don1 said there is a lot to learn from the US structure.From the youth academies, to ODP, training and national planning.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Nice! ...but I am not too convinced there is structured

youth development of the necessary quality as the better talented players are absent from the National teams. The young players with super talent are there. There is just not the upward mobility. Why?

E.g. Jose Altidore - Fast, strong...poor technically. ...not a good mover or passer.

Many were the players with him playing in his early years here in Florida who were faster, better technically - use of feet & head, balance (positioning - of the body=use around center of gravity), passing, kicking the ball - and better 'readers' /of the game and more sensible game players. They all disappeared. (Not many were as strong!!! He has always been strong.)

If the question on their disappearance is answered I think that unearthing of best talents may be answered.

I am just 10 years (Nov. 2014 coming) removed from Brentwood, Long Island, New York and would go along to the grounds/fields and watch Hispanic players who could run like the wing and do fantastic things with the ball who obviously were from backgrounds where passing and moving seemed to have been learnt in manner walking was...from earliest of stages. What has happened to those players?

Commonsense suggests that talent - talent abounds - such as those found in Florida - some immigrants from South America, Central America, and other nations or some born in the USA but with roots from countries outside of the USA...and YES...some 3rd, 4th and earlier generations Americans...are out there. Why do we not see these US citizens with that type technical skill in the national teams? The nearest example of players with that type skill in the USA team is Dempsey and Bradley. Why is the TEAM not full of players with the technical ability as say seen on the Algerian TEAM or Belgium or The Dutch or... in the USA ? The talent is there...so why not???!!!

Aside:In 2001 the warming was given that it will not take the USA long to start unearthing such youngsters as prejudices on colour, race, social position... as impediment will gradually disappear.. The USA will then really 'jump' forward to TOP OF THE WORLD.

Currently, The USA is ignoring its best talents.
    I say this Sass, because having all this activity did not result in that upward mobility of the very best of talent. Will that activity you speak of bear fruit such that the national TEAMs rapidly exploit the talent lying around?

...or will it be limited to only funneling 'tons of money into Soccer' and 'rapidly expanding the fan base? Two very important off-shoots I readily admit. ...but what of TOP OF THE WORLD national TEAMs and hoards of top ranked professional players?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I think the biggest link in the South is most of the top colleges don't pay attention to soccer so you find many of the local talent don't get to go toe college route, like St. Johns, UConn etc. up north. Now with MLS teams coming here and the partnership with top international club, look for more youth playings moving in the pro ranks and as the sport take hold, more colleges paying more attention.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

OK!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
        X