X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Tracy Reid's Granville win

Harwood's hat-trick sinks Police - Granville win too in NPL play-offs
    published: Monday | May 28, 2007

Omar Davis of St. George's (left) challenges Police's Fitzroy Dewar in their National Premier League play-off match at the Edward Seaga Sports Complex yesterday. St. George's won 3-1 and lead the standings. -Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer

LeVaughn Flynn, Staff Reporter

A hat-trick by striker Damion Harwood guided St. George's to a come-from-behind 3-1 win over Police in the Wray and Nephew National Premier League (NPL) play-off at the Edward Seaga Sports Complex yesterday.

With the first round of games completed and the return matches set to start Wednesday, St. George's lead with seven points while Granville, who beat Sporting Central 3-1 at Sam, Sharpe Teachers' College in Montego Bay, are second with six points. Two of the four teams will qualify for the 2007-08 season of the NPL.

Granville's goals came through a brace by Shannon Brown (21st, 60th) anda stoppage-time conversion by David Gillard, while Cornel Learmond netted in the 43rd minute for Sporting Central.

FIRST GOAL
    At the Edward Seaga Sports Complex, Harwood got his first goal in the 14th minute when he received a through pass in the penalty box from midfielder Omar Brissett. Four minutes earlier, Howard McKenzie had given Police the lead and their first goal of the competition through a header from a right-sided Fidel Anderson-cross.

Harwood was on target again in the 29th minute when left midfielder David Taylor spotted him unmarked on the right side of goal and delivered an accurate, well-weighted pass for the striker, which resulted in an easy tap-in from close.

Police would get their chance to equalise with the simplest of chances going to substitute Orville Smalling. Smalling, practically by himself, headed wide of an open goal as goalkeeper Adrian Williams was out of position. Fitzroy Dewar, Police's towering striker, seemed lost in the game, adding to Police's woes.

"This (loss) is really like a dagger in the heart," said Police coach Calvin Lewis. "You can't play at his level and not take your chances.
    "We led in the game then we gave up two soft goals and then we get a bag of chances and can't convert."

The only trouble Harwood had converting was in the 85th minute when his header grazed the crossbar, much to the agony of the St. George's fans. Not to be undone though, Harwood would get his sought after third goal in time added on.

Potential
    "For the nine and half months we have been together challenging for three cups - President's Cup, the Portland knock-out and the Super League - he has always been the leading goal scorer and shows that he has that potential," said his coach Donovan Duckie.

"The surface back home is not conducive to good style of play so today the field was really a treat. So thanks to Tivoli."

The return matches begin Wednesday with St. George's playing Sporting Central at Brancourt and Granville hosting Police.

Police 1
    Howard McKenzie 10th
    St. George's
    Damion Harwood 14th, 29th, 90+

Granville
    Shannon Brown 21st, 60th David Gillard 90+
    Sporting Central
    1Cornel Learmond 43rd
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Harwood's hat-trick sinks Police - Granville win too in NPL

Harwood's hat-trick sinks Police - Granville win too in NPL play-offs
    published: Monday | May 28, 2007

Omar Davis of St. George's (left) challenges Police's Fitzroy Dewar in their National [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Premier [COLOR=orange! important]League[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] play-off match at the Edward Seaga Sports Complex yesterday. St. George's won 3-1 and lead the standings. -Ricardo Makyn/Staff [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Photographer[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    A hat-trick by striker Damion [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Harwood[/COLOR][/COLOR] guided St. George's to a come-from-behind 3-1 win over Police in the Wray and Nephew National Premier League (NPL) play-off at the Edward Seaga [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Sports[/COLOR][/COLOR] Complex yesterday.
    With the first round of games completed and the return matches set to start Wednesday, St. George's lead with seven points while Granville, who beat Sporting Central 3-1 at Sam, Sharpe Teachers' College in Montego Bay, are second with six points. Two of the four teams will qualify for the 2007-08 season of the NPL.
    Granville's goals came through a brace by Shannon Brown (21st, 60th) anda stoppage-time conversion by David Gillard, while Cornel Learmond netted in the 43rd minute for Sporting Central.
    FIRST GOAL
    At the Edward Seaga Sports Complex, Harwood got his first goal in the 14th minute when he received a through pass in the penalty box from midfielder Omar Brissett. Four minutes earlier, Howard McKenzie had given Police the lead and their first goal of the competition through a header from a right-sided Fidel Anderson-cross.
    Harwood was on target again in the 29th minute when left midfielder David Taylor spotted him unmarked on the right side of goal and delivered an accurate, well-weighted pass for the striker, which resulted in an easy tap-in from close.
    Police would get their chance to equalise with the simplest of chances going to substitute Orville Smalling. Smalling, practically by himself, headed wide of an open goal as goalkeeper Adrian Williams was out of position. Fitzroy Dewar, Police's towering striker, seemed lost in the game, adding to Police's woes.
    "This (loss) is really like a dagger in the heart," said Police coach Calvin Lewis. "You can't play at his level and not take your chances.
    "We led in the game then we gave up two soft goals and then we get a bag of chances and can't convert."
    The only trouble Harwood had converting was in the 85th minute when his header grazed the crossbar, much to the agony of the St. George's fans. Not to be undone though, Harwood would get his sought after third goal in time added on.
    Potential
    "For the nine and half months we have been together challenging for three cups - President's Cup, the Portland knock-out and the Super League - he has always been the leading goal scorer and shows that he has that potential," said his coach Donovan Duckie.
    "The surface back home is not conducive to good style of play so today the field was really a treat. So thanks to Tivoli."
    The return matches begin Wednesday with St. George's playing Sporting Central at Brancourt and Granville hosting Police. Police 1
    Howard McKenzie 10th St. George's
    Damion Harwood 14th, 29th, 90+
    Granville
    Shannon Brown 21st, 60th
    David Gillard 90+ Sporting Central
    1Cornel Learmond 43rd

• Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Remember a year and a half ago we spoke about this youth when he donated some books to his library.

I am happy for St. Georges United, one of the better organized clubs in Jamaica with a proper management structure and community support.

Good to see this youth doing his thing, and to think his strike partner is now a national player in Donovan Davis.

Bora deh bout?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Donovan Duckie the coach is a good youth too. I met him here in KC two years ago when he came to the coaches' course held at Arrowhead. Good to see him having some success and to see the hard work paying off. Hope he makes it to the NPL next season.

Ssas, you know you can go back and clean up those articles you post so they are easier to read? I am always doing it for you, but wated you to know that you can click the "Edit" button and go in and remove all the colored text. Or an eader way to do it is just to copy and paste the article to Notepad then from there to the forum to remove the formatting. You would then need to copy and paste the pictures separatley.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I have to type quickly. Babysitting two youngsters under 2 yah now.

thanks still.

Comment

When was the last time you spoke to anyone connected to the club?

They are having serious problems, Duckie had walked out of the team after the 'boss' whoever that is, came back when the NPL qualifications started and decided he would help pick the team, taking that job away from the coach.

he only rejoined the club the day they travelled to MoBay...called me a hater burt I have seen this team/club start well and falter down the stretch so I will wait until they actually get there.
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

I haven't spoken to anyone in a year or so.

I know they have a decent management have manage to keep most of these youth for the last 2-3 years.

Why would I call you a hater? it ain't over till it is over but I will find out how serious the problem is. I think it maybe operational but not management wise as the management of that club has been good and has been consistent, even with different exec over the years and yes they are elected. I don't know if it is King or Don D is the boss but I hope that is solved.

Comment

Congrats, Granville, but....
                ON THE SPORTING EDGE
                Paul Reid
                Thursday, May 24, 2007

Granville Football Club got off to a great start in their effort to qualify for the Jamaica Football Federation's (JFF's) National Premier League after edging Police National in the playoffs on Sunday.

Granville earned the right to represent western Jamaica in the four-team play-off, after winning the Western Confederation Super League competition just under two weeks ago, beating Hanover's Montpelier in the finals.

Sunday's win is the start of the final hurdle in what will be the culmination of the dreams of many people associated with the team and will start yet another chapter in the annals of St James football. Hopefully, this chapter will be longer than the ones written by Seaview and African United, and will eventually match that of the likes of Seba United, Wadadah and Violet Kickers.

That is to come, however, and far in the future. What is more important in the here and now is to get to the promised land of Premier League football. Many teams have started the elimination series only to fade at the end - teams like Negril last season. Granville would do well to take each game as they come and not look too far into the future.

But that is easier said than done, especially for a community as 'football mad' as Granville, and hungry for some positive news about their community that has been battered in the past few years by violence and negativity.

Despite their dominance of the Western Confederation this year - with the only bump in the road being their loss in the first leg of the finals to Montpelier - the next step will be much more difficult than the last. History has proven that it takes more than skills on the field to make it to the Premier League, and stay there.

Having not seen any of the other three teams, any attempt at predictions would be premature and unfair to all concerned. Using recent history as a yardstick, however, it would be safe to say Granville has better than a 50/50 chance of replacing relegated Wadadah in the Premier League next season.

If they do get through the play-offs, this is when the work will get more difficult as the first thing the club's administration must do is to find players who will give them a chance at being competitive. Having taken a hard look at the skill level of the team and what it takes to compete in the Premier League, this team would not cut it.

One of the mistakes the coaching staff would also have to avoid is the wholesale signing of players from Wadadah or players who have failed to make the grade in previous seasons. And speaking of coaches, who would be in charge of the team given the very strict mandates set out by the JFF?

Coach Tracey Reid, who is bidding to be the first female to coach in the Premier League, has said she is willing to do whatever it takes to qualify herself, but time may be against her given the fact that registration will be completed by mid-August.
                Last edited by Karl; May 29, 2007, 09:17 PM.
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Patience is key, says George's coach

St. George's Damion Harwood - file

St. George's coach Donovan Duckie has seen it all throughout his five consecutive years in the National Premier League play-off.

The coach of the Eastern Confederation champions has bounced between St. Mary's Star Cosmos and Portland's St. George's since 2003, but despite the movement what has been consistent is a confed title.

Seen it all
                  He was successful in his first year with Star Cosmos when they qualified for the 2003-04 Premiership, albeit lasting only a season, but is also familiar with disappointment as St. George's finished at the bottom of the table in the last play-off.

"I've seen it all and I am more knowledgeable now," said Duckie as he spoke of preparing for the fourth of six games against Sporting Central tomorrow in the national play-off for qualification to the Premier League.

"I've gained more experience throughout the previous four years and once St. George's maintain their focus we will be in the Premier League."
                  Duckie, a former national U-17 assistant, has a team in the lead after the first round of matches for the first time. The Portland team tops the standing with seven points, dropping points in the first game of the competition, a 0-0 draw with Sporting Central, who have four points.
                  Duckie said the key for his team in the return match will be patience.
                  "This time we need to be more patient," he said.

"Sporting Central are a good team tactically and both teams match up quite well. It's going to be a tough game. They just lost a game so they will be gunning for three points to stay competitive."

Striker Damion Harwood has been the man for St. George's scoring all four of his team's goals, including a hat-trick against Police on Sunday. Against Police Harwood's possessions were minimal but he was effective when he had the ball and all four goals came while playing on the road.

Talk is cheap, let's play
                  "We have a motto that says talk is cheap, let's play," added Duckie. "So irrespective of where we play we are going to play good football and we always expect to get a good result."

While one coach is optimistic another is facing great disappointment.
                  The agony of defeat contorted Calvin Lewis' face after the game. He appeared on the brink of giving up after seeing his much-fancied Police team lose their third straight game on Sunday, and in all three left much to be desired. After the loss on Sunday, Lewis didn't seem interested in tomorrow's match against Granville at the Sam Sharpe Teachers' College Ground.

"Basically you have to call it we are out of contention to go through, so we have to start to focus on next season for the Super League," said Lewis.

Lewis' assessment wasn't quite accurate as nine points are still available, and with the top team having only seven points, there is a chance to still qualify taking into consideration the outcome of the other games.

Lewis eventually sobered up in his calculation of the competition. "Sometimes you have to watch and see how the games go, but this loss was like a dagger in the heart. But we will still work. The good thing about this game was that we scored a goal and so we can go and try and win the next three games," he said.

Comment

Working...
                  X