X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No infrastructure for youth soccer

published: Sunday | May 27, 2007

THE EDITOR, Sir:

THE BASIC problem with Jamaica's soccer programme is that there is no infrastructure for youth soccer. There is no national youth programme, both at the grassroots level and national level.

We constantly look to bring outsiders to fix our problem, when we can have these coaches come in and train our coaches to be better. We need to train our coaches on how to coach very young players. Did you know that in the US there are leagues for five-year-old soccer/football players? We seem to have the vision backwards.

We are trying to improve the national programme starting with the senior team, then move downwards. That is not the best way to improve the programme. You do not build a house startingfrom the roof. You start from the foundation, which is the youth.

Having coached in the US for the past 10 years, I see first hand some coaches from Jamaica and the Caribbean who think they can coach. It is obvious that a number of coaches do not have the qualities needed to coach very young players.

I go to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) convention every year and I do not see any coach from Jamaica. I see Jamaicans attending, but they are coaches in the US.

This event attracts coaches from all over the world, example Rene Simoes, Carlos Alberto Parriera, as well as coaches from England, Bolivia and Holland to name a few. Why is it that our coaches choose not to attend these events? Why is it that the JFF does not send a youth coach to these events?

If we are really serious about improving soccer, let's get real about it. Train our youth coaches to be better coaches, and in turn they will produce better players.

I am, etc.,

HORACE MCFARLANE

Director Brazilian Soccer

Schools/Bronxville

United States
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Been saying the same thing Horace, but then , Jamaicans know it already.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

That is part of what the RBSC is trying to do.
      Encourage training of coaches and teachers of coaches!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
      X