European football clubs opening US academies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European football clubs opening US academies

As the US appetite for football grows, more American kids are harbouring dreams of becoming the next David Beckham or Leo Messi. Their aspirations, realistic or not, have not gone unnoticed by top international teams, which are trying to capitalise financially.
    European clubs like Barcelona, Liverpool and Arsenal have long sent coaches to work at US summer camps, but now some are opening year-round US academies aimed at finding new talent while also expanding their fan bases and revenue opportunities in the States. Later this month, Barcelona will open FCB Escola Florida, their first permanent US academy, in Fort Lauderdale. Argentine Boca Juniors and English Everton are already operating in New York and Connecticut, respectively. Other teams are expected to follow.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../sports93.html
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Mi a tell them but them nuh believe. In the last two 3 years All the mom and pop soccer clubs in my area are bought out by some outfits. Our little local club are bought out by Sothern Soccer Association. The bought a few club well and they are considered a "Chelsea Development Partner"(Tilla will like that. There Jersey are the same the ones Chelsea wear and they are also Adidas partners. Chelsea is happy as they sell the logo on the shirts and they will sell over 20,000 shirts for the season.

The game is growing and my friend just told me their rec team have to practice from 7:30 to 9:00 and this is a U9 team as they said enrollment has increased a lot(Could it be World Cup?).

It is a win-win. Nuff of the European coaches heading here as if they get in the youth business, it is a long term job for them.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

With 3 years to go before the first season, I see where the Atlanta MLS franchise reported 14,000 season ticket deposits .......Do I contact you or HL about tickets, when I'm in Atlanta???

Comment

The team doesn't have a name yet and getting that support.

Arthur Blank who also own the Atlanta Falcons is getting a new stadium for football and soccer. His daughter was a decent soccer player so he is aware of the soccer movement in GA as I am told he was at a lot of her games.

Hopefully we can get tickets as you have over 100000 registered youth players in Metro Atlanta so with families of 3 and more you could be looking a decent marketplace.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
          [B]Their aspirations, realistic or not, have not gone unnoticed by top international teams, which are trying to capitalise financially.
          settle down and read between the lines

Comment

...and as Westman will tell you...

...Stoke has had a presence in Orlando, FL for some time.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Sports is a business & if you don't approach it that way you won't last & you will have difficulty competing......
              Why should or would any of these teams travel across the Atlantic if it wasn't financially beneficial to them???
              Now!!! The key is to make sure that the U.S. is also benefiting from this, where money is made & these clubs are helping with youth development as well as providing opportunities for young players at their clubs, which is being done........Win Win situation!!!

Comment

this is about building a brand...not about unearthing talent...these kids have no chance in hell of being professional footballers...as stated, the goal is to turn turn these kids into fans of their clubs...smart move for the clubs...
                Last edited by Bricktop; August 24, 2014, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                  this is about building a brand...not about unearthing talent...these kids have no chance in hell of being professional footballers...as stated, the goal is to turn turn these kids into fans of their clubs...smart move for the clubs...
                  Be more accurate! ...as I have been saying on this site for many, many years, half of the truth is a damn lie!

[quote] ...this is about building a brand...and also about unearthing talent...most of these kids have no chance in hell of being professional footballers...as stated, the goal is to turn turn these kids into fans of their clubs and about unearthing quality talents...smart move for the clubs...:

Hey!? Hey! Hey!? Hey!
                  - TALENT ABOUNDS!
                  How many kids play football?
                  How many professional football players are there?

A reference: http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/bi...llplayers.html

*A follow-up three-part question is,
                  a) how many of the registered players, in the context of what you regard as 'a professional player', are professional players?

...and...

b) that number given as answer to "a" as %age taken of total number of senior club players - professionals, semi-professionals and all other senior players (i.e. amateur and any others regardless of how designated)?

c) ...extrapolate from "b" as odds on 'making it as a professional player'?

*Not the only follow-up question.

Boss, your statement
                  Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                  could mislead.
                  Last edited by Karl; August 24, 2014, 05:45 PM.
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

This is nothing new!!! It's the same thing that the NBA did decades ago, & not only are they generating billions of dollars, but they are now getting an influx of basketball players from Europe & Asia, which is a result of the camps they conducted for young players & coaches.
                    These soccer club's actions is bearing fruit & will continue because clubs like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool, etc. already have our young players in their academy system, and have been expanding their scouting & U.S. academy setup.

NOTE:
                    "Marcel *****nato, the managing director of Kaptiva Sports, official partner of FC Barcelona in the US, says scouting is one of the goals."

"European clubs like Barcelona, Liverpool and Arsenal have long sent coaches to work at US summer camps, but now some are opening year-round US academies aimed at finding new talent while also expanding their fan bases and revenue opportunities in the States."
                    Last edited by USAF; August 24, 2014, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by USAF View Post
                      This is nothing new!!! It's the same thing that the NBA did decades ago, & not only are they generating billions of dollars, but they are now getting an influx of basketball players from Europe & Asia, which is a result of the camps they conducted for young players & coaches.
                      These soccer club's actions is bearing fruit & will continue because clubs like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool, etc. already have our young players in their academy system, and have been expanding their scouting & U.S. academy setup.

NOTE:
                      "Marcel *****nato, the managing director of Kaptiva Sports, official partner of FC Barcelona in the US, says scouting is one of the goals."

"European clubs like Barcelona, Liverpool and Arsenal have long sent coaches to work at US summer camps, but now some are opening year-round US academies aimed at finding new talent while also expanding their fan bases and revenue opportunities in the States."
                      Tenk yuh, sah!

Comment

Working...
                      X