RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lindy Delapenha: Jamaica's greatest footballer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindy Delapenha: Jamaica's greatest footballer...

Desmond Allen who received the Order of Distinction for sterling contribution to journalism in the 2014 National Honours and Awards, won the Jamaica Broilers Award for his 2005 Sunday Observer series 'The Desmond Allen Interviews. Here are excerpts of some of his most popular stories:

Lindy Delapenha: Jamaica's greatest footballer is a man ahead of his time

Indulge me a bit, if you will, in some joyful speculation. If Jamaicans, mere mortals though we be, could turn back the hands of time, who would dare to deny it that Lindy Delapenha would be crowned Jamaica's greatest footballer? Or put another way, if Lindy Delapenha had chosen professional boxing instead of football, and punched as hard he kicked, even Mike Tyson might not have found the cojones to face him in the ring.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...icans_17931111
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Was present for a discussion about Jamaica's footballers and about two of the men said that they thought Noel Tappin (sp), aka "fairy boots", had a more powerful kick than Lindy Delapenha......They spoke of a match where Tappin took a shot, which broke the outstretched hand of the goalkeeper & still scored as if nothing touched it.
    Who do you think had the more powerful shot???

Comment

Originally posted by USAF View Post
      Was present for a discussion about Jamaica's footballers and about two of the men said that they thought Noel Tappin (sp), aka "fairy boots", had a more powerful kick than Lindy Delapenha......They spoke of a match where Tappin took a shot, which broke the outstretched hand of the goalkeeper & still scored as if nothing touched it.
      Who do you think had the more powerful shot???
      Tappin!
      btw - "Fairy Boots" is not Tappin.

"Fairy Boots" = Lester Alcock. His son also played for 'JA Juveniles')...I think, also for JA?

Tilla knows...should know Edwin Alcock. Rite, Tilla?
      Last edited by Karl; November 22, 2014, 05:10 PM.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Not a nickname that would go down we today .... fairy boots

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Funny enough it is yet another reason patois should be formalized.Imagine me and me foundation friend a reason and as usual we end up a chat bout females during our high school days,suh me tell him,yuh dun kno man a lover boy from ...,only to be abruptly interrupted by my friend warning me NEVER to say that again because.....
          Den de list of don'ts, girls man,sweet boy....
          I am now very mindful.....

Comment

Serious tink!

Comment

Tilla knows...should know Edwin Alcock. Rite, Tilla?
              I know of the name Edwin Alcock. His name was legendary when I went to STETHS, unfortunately, he was before my time. I do not recall hearing of him at the national level either.

With respect to Lindy Delapenha, I only knew of him as a sports caster, I did not know of his exploits in football and track and field (especially considering that I did not go to Menro). For some reason, those guys were lost to us back then. I guess we just did not have access to this information or have people around who discussed football as much as we do today.
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
              X