RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Research article,role of sprint speed in football!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    I think the difference is you, Stoni, would choose your team based first on the metrics. Metrics would only be used as a guide for me, perhaps separating players who are otherwise "equal" on the pitch.

In my time of high school football, if it were based on metrics, I probably would have sat on the bench. I could not run long distances to save my life, so it would appear I was not fit. However, nobody put out more on the field. I had decent speed in flat races (don't forget that silver medal! ) but I can't remember anyone outrunning me to get to the ball first or to cover defensively. But I am sure I was not as "fast" as some players in a flat race.

Also, at 5' 8", I would be considered short, even in high school, for the central defender position, yet no one could jump higher for a ball. (It helped that I also did high, long and triple jumps in Class III).

So, the point again is, for me, it is what the player gives me on the football field first.
    The speed over ground that you needed, you obviously had! ...and based on your above, you could produce it at will...and hereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee is the kicker....time and time and time again! You had the necessary endurance. The persons who claimed you were not fit missed an important part of the game...they were ignorant!!! You were fit, if what you claimed was true of your playing days!!! ...i.e. Repetitive bursts of speed whenever needed!!! You were very fit!!!

You do not necessarily have to be able to run fast over loooooooooong distances. You must be able to produce that electrifying burst 0 through most often 10 yards...but having it to go 20 yards is great! ...and you must be able to produce those necessary burst at will throughout a game!!!!

Speed across ground to me in a real sense stops at 20 yards...after 20, e.g on a break-away = an example, on the counter it is 'catch me if you can and that must be before the player is able to do 'damage' with the ball!!! Just about an impossible task if the player is also 'fast of mind'. Forget a Sanchez...think Messi and Suarez types.
    Look? Pirlo is slow across ground...but his combination of mind and pace across ground gets him the necessary space and time to do 'damage'. So in terms of 'the game' he is fast!!! He gets to the ball first most often...and when he does he does 'good things'='damage'!!!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
      so wi FI mek them, tough and durable.
      Your prototype footballer plays Aussie Rules Football.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
      X