Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The shameful duping of MoBay

The shameful duping of MoBay <DIV class=KonaBody>

It was with glee that I wrote in a column a few weeks ago expressing my happiness that the impasse threatening the use of Jarrett Park for next year's ICC CricketWorld Cup gamewas settled on account of promise to upgrade the new Catherine Hall Stadium to facilitate NPL teams Wadadah FC and Seba United.

I am therefore sadden, if not distressed, by recent news that there is no plan in place to start work on the Catherine Hall facility before the end of this year, which basically means that come December 31 when the park is closed for cricket preparations, the two football clubs will be left out in the cold without a venue to play home games.

decieved

Personally, I feel deceived by this sad/sick scenario, which really amounts to a case of duping the Jarrett Park Management Committee (JPMC) into believing that all is well, which caused them to turn over the park to the cricket authorities, paving the way for warm-up cricket games.

I have not spoken to businessman Adrian Grant, the chairman of the JPMC, but I am sure that he must be bitterly disappointed with the latest news out of the Urban Development Corporation (UDC). Had he known that there were no immediate plans to upgrade the Catherine Hall Stadium, I am sure he would not have granted permission to the cricket authorities to use the park.

Regrettably as it might be, I know that Mr. Grant, as a man of integrity, will not go back on his word to make the park available for cricket, albeit, that it now appears he was deceived into giving that assurance, thinking that the football team would be able to use Catherine Hall.

However, while Mr. Grant is unlikely to get back into a stand-off over the use of the park, I believe that as the guardian of the people's interest in St. James, the parish council needs to step out on behalf of the people and halt the cricket arrange-ment unless the expected provisions are made to facilitate the football teams at Catherine Hall.

It is my understanding that it is the contention of the UDC that work cannot start at Catherine Hall before the end of the year because a contract will have to be put to tender among other excuses. I find that most unacceptable, especially since it is the same UDC which is now embroiled in the 'Scandal' - ooops - Sandal Whitehouse project, which seemed to have proceeded with reckless abandon.

I was told by the JPMC that the assurance they got about Catherine Hall came out of the office of the Prime Minister. If that is really the case, I believe Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller, who I think I have enough good reasons to believe is a true friend of sports, needs to step forward and do whatever is necessary to ensure that our footballershave a place to play come December 31.

fast track

While I would not want Prime Minister Simpson Miller to run ahead of the paper work as one of her former cabinet colleagues seem to have done on a much-publicised government project, I am sure that she must be able to create ways to fast trackwhatever procedure is required to get the work started at Catherine Hall prior to the closing of Jarrett Park.

Unlike in former times when we had to sit by and watch the sporting facilities in Kingston and St. Catherine be repaired while ours continue to fall deeper and deeper into disrepair, this time around the Government can't complain about funding thanks to Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who has made US$11 million available to complete the facility.

Incidentally, I have heard through the grapevine that thoughts are being given to naming the Catherine Hall Stadium in honour of a former politician, who recently demitted office. I hope it is not true because, unlike deserving perso
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: The shameful duping of MoBay

Karl care to interpret this into English for me as I have no flipping clue what he is saying here....I have a clue he does not understand either but he had the space so he had to fill it.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko (9/2/2006)Karl care to interpret this into English for me as I have no flipping clue what he is saying here....I have a clue he does not understand either but he had the space so he had to fill it.
      I think ---&gt;

It was with glee that I wrote in a column a few weeks ago expressing my happiness that the impasse threatening the use of Jarrett Park for next year's ICC CricketWorld Cup gamewas settled on account of promise to upgrade the new Catherine Hall Stadium to facilitate NPL teams Wadadah FC and Seba United.
      He thought or he was led to believe that the possibility of Jarrett Park being not available for use by the 'cricket people' was not on as there was a promise that Wadadah and Seba would have the alternate Catherine Hall facility for their use.

...sadden, if not distressed, by recent news that there is no plan in place to start work on the Catherine Hall facility before the end of this year, which basically means that come December 31 when the park is closed for cricket preparations, the two football clubs will be left out in the cold without a venue to play home games.
      He has heard/now realised that after December 31 Wadadah and Seba will have lost Jarrett Park to the 'cricket people' and the promised alternate football venue of Catherine Hall would be unavailable as repairs will either have not started or would have just been started.

decieved

Personally, I feel deceived by this sad/sick scenario, which really amounts to a case of duping the Jarrett Park Management Committee (JPMC) into believing that all is well, which caused them to turn over the park to the cricket authorities, paving the way for warm-up cricket games.

I have not spoken to businessman Adrian Grant, the chairman of the JPMC, but I am sure that he must be bitterly disappointed with the latest news out of the Urban Development Corporation (UDC). Had he known that there were no immediate plans to upgrade the Catherine Hall Stadium, I am sure he would not have granted permission to the cricket authorities to use the park.

Regrettably as it might be, I know that Mr. Grant, as a man of integrity, will not go back on his word to make the park available for cricket, albeit, that it now appears he was deceived into giving that assurance, thinking that the football team would be able to use Catherine Hall.
      He was deceived &amp;the chairman of the JPMC was deceived into thinking Wadadah &amp; Seba would have had Catherine Hall to themselves on January 1, 2007.

However, while Mr. Grant is unlikely to get back into a stand-off over the use of the park, I believe that as the guardian of the people's interest in St. James, the parish council needs to step out on behalf of the people and halt the cricket arrange-ment unless the expected provisions are made to facilitate the football teams at Catherine Hall.
      The deceived Chairman of the JPMC (Adrian Grant) will just 'hug up' his being deceived and still honour his promise to handJarrett Park to the 'cricket people'for their use.

It is my understanding that it is the contention of the UDC that work cannot start at Catherine Hall before the end of the year because a contract will have to be put to tender among other excuses. I find that most unacceptable, especially since it is the same UDC which is now embroiled in the 'Scandal' - ooops - Sandal Whitehouse project, which seemed to have proceeded with reckless abandon.
      He now understands that the UDC cannot have the work on Catherine Hall started until after tenders have been requested and made...and a contract signed. The foregoing is unacceptableas the UDC has, in the past,had work done while proceeding in ascandalous mannerand with reckless abandon, e.g. in Sandals Whitehouse case, so they should do so once more.

[quote] I was told by the
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Ha ha ha...you sound as confused as he does. Is he really advocating that because the government has a history of 'bitching' things up they should go ahead and do the same here?

Maybe his 'suss' is really off or he is deaf or blind but the complex <U>HAS BEEN</U> named already and it will be called the Montego Bay Sports Complex.

Remind me where we have named a venue for a living person, one that is not even retired form their profession yet????
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
        X