HL!!! How things and times have changed. Not long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL!!! How things and times have changed. Not long

ago MLS was treated like a step-child, now cities are falling over themselves trying to get a franchise......Don't know if you see & hear what's happening, but the league decided, in December, that they will expand to 28 teams after the new expansion, to 24, is completed in 2020, and so far there are at least 10 cities trying to convince MLS they are ready to fill one of those 4 spots - Sacramento, San Antonio, Detroit, San Diego, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Las Vegas & Phoenix. I've also heard that NY Cosmos seem to have swallowed their pride & having talks to try joining the league........Imagine that in early '01 the league had unanimously decided that they would cease operation at the end of that season.

I think MLS needs to increase the salary cap as teams are having difficulty signing players, especially from South America, who want to join the league, but the salary offers are too low.......The players' union also needs to get good, experienced reps to negotiate their next CBA, because they were outsmarted last time.

There are also negotiations with foreign investors.......Beckham was in final stages of negotiations with QSI, who own PSG, to join the ownership group, but his friend & partner, Simon Fuller, started making demands & they backed out. Now, they've been approached by Jack Ma, founder of Alibaba Group & co-owner of Guangzhou Evergrande (China's largest & most successful club). Also heard Portland, Chicago & New England have received some "interest".

I will forever say it,it's the best thing that happened to Jamaican football.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Not if Jamaica (JFF & clubs) continues to do what they've been doing - NOTHING.......I've been suggesting that the Jamaican clubs should seek "partnerships" with MLS clubs to help with the development of their youth players, coaches & trainers, as well as the JFF & clubs getting help to develop their coaches & trainers, through the national coaching associations.
      MLS clubs are focused on signing players from South America (about 4 teams presently have scouts there & there were more a few weeks ago), so Jamaica has to be proactive.

Comment

Even by doing nothing , our players some how manage to get into the MLS.Just imagine if they did something .

I have long called for a meeting of the stake holders as it pertains to a way forward ,apparently the JFF is comfortable with the tried and proven failures of the past or maybe the success of 98 .

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

No they're not.....Someone made a similar statement late last year and I pointed out that the number of Jamaicans (coming out of Jamaica) playing in MLS is reducing. Just this year, about 5 Jamaicans were "released" & never got resigned to the league.......The majority of Jamaicans playing professionally in the US/Canada are in USL & NASL.......During the last 3 years the number of players from South America & Africa have been steadily increasing.

- The Black Soccer Coaches Association was co-founded by a Jamaican & one of the goals of the organization is to help with the training & development of black coaches in North America, the Caribbean & Africa.......There are 3 Jamaican coaches with MLS 1st teams, as well as more with lower level pro teams & academies.
          Last edited by USAF; April 28, 2016, 06:17 PM.

Comment

That's news to me and good point,more of a reason to have a meeting of the stakeholders, everyone is waiting after this campaign to fire off on the JFF/ captain.Its the political correct thing to do,let the captain go down with a mutiny.

Then the ghost of this campaign can wail and cry,who fail the youths.

Comment

Originally posted by USAF View Post
              ago MLS was treated like a step-child, now cities are falling over themselves trying to get a franchise......Don't know if you see & hear what's happening, but the league decided, in December, that they will expand to 28 teams after the new expansion, to 24, is completed in 2020, and so far there are at least 10 cities trying to convince MLS they are ready to fill one of those 4 spots - Sacramento, San Antonio, Detroit, San Diego, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Las Vegas & Phoenix. I've also heard that NY Cosmos seem to have swallowed their pride & having talks to try joining the league........Imagine that in early '01 the league had unanimously decided that they would cease operation at the end of that season.

I think MLS needs to increase the salary cap as teams are having difficulty signing players, especially from South America, who want to join the league, but the salary offers are too low.......The players' union also needs to get good, experienced reps to negotiate their next CBA, because they were outsmarted last time.

There are also negotiations with foreign investors.......Beckham was in final stages of negotiations with QSI, who own PSG, to join the ownership group, but his friend & partner, Simon Fuller, started making demands & they backed out. Now, they've been approached by Jack Ma, founder of Alibaba Group & co-owner of Guangzhou Evergrande (China's largest & most successful club). Also heard Portland, Chicago & New England have received some "interest".
              Yes Sir.

MLS football franchising is based on a good business model. With time, all the moving parts including salary will get better.

I remember the early days USAF.

Do you remember when they had a shootout when the game ended in a draw? Or when they used the count down clock to end the game like they do in basketball and football? Or more than 3 subs?

MLS has really evolved?
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

LOL. Some things are best left in the past.......Big respect to Lamar Hunt & Philip Anschutz who fought for the league & invested their own money to keep it going.

The thing I'm happiest about is the the apparent improvement of the MLS academy youth development system. 4 months into the year Fiorentina, Schalke, Manchester United, Chelsea & Liverpool have signed players (oldest 20) that were developed in MLS academies, and Juventus has made an offer for another.

Comment

LOL. Some things are best left in the past.......Big respect to Lamar Hunt & Philip Anschutz who fought for the league & invested their own money to keep it going.

The thing I'm happiest about is the the apparent improvement of the MLS academy youth development system. 4 months into the year Fiorentina, Schalke, Manchester United, Chelsea & Liverpool have signed players (oldest 20) that were developed in MLS academies, and Juventus has made an offer for another.
                  Was Pulisic a product of the MLS academy system?
                  "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

No. He played with a youth team in PA, until '15. Was able to join Dortmund because he was eligible for a EU passport.
                    Last edited by USAF; April 29, 2016, 11:53 AM.

Comment

For this year you are right but there is more Jamaican young players who are with MLS affilliated teams who just need to prove themselves and step up.

The fact is the opportunity is there for Jamaican players to get into that pipeline. Between the MLS second teams, affiliated clubs and college it gives them a better opportunity to prove themselves. 6 or 7 Jamaica players are in Portland alone between the first and second team.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

MLS. MLS. MLS.......We are talking about who plays in MLS, the TOP league in the U.S. & Canada, not who plays in the 2nd (NASL) & 3rd (USL) divisions.

*In the '16 MLS Draft 3 Jamaicans were drafted & none made a MLS team.......but it's still early.
                        *In the '15 MLS Draft 4 Jamaicans were drafted & only 1 is on a MLS team.
                        *In the '14 MLS Draft 3 Jamaicans were drafted (all in the 1st round) & only 1 is on a MLS team.
                        *In the '13 MLS Draft 5 Jamaicans were drafted & the only 1 consistently made a MLS team. He was "sold", last year, to Valerenga, in the Norwegian Premier League.
                        *In the '12 MLS Draft 3 Jamaicans were drafted & only 1 is on a MLS team.
                        *In the '11 MLS Draft 2 Jamaicans were drafted & none is on a MLS team.
                        *In the '10 MLS Draft 1 Jamaican was drafted & he's on a MLS team.
                        - 21 Jamaicans were drafted in the last 7 MLS Drafts, but only 4 are able to "hold" their spot on a MLS team.

YOUTH DEVELOPMENT, in Jamaica, must be the primary focus and I don't see nor hear that.......I think that's why the success rate, of those coming through the "pipeline" is low.
                        Last edited by USAF; April 30, 2016, 10:58 PM.

Comment

i don't think the draft for many Americans coming in are any better. A few of these Jamaicans play a season or two and got dropped.

The fact is more youngsters are getting in the pipeline earlier which more than likely will give them a better chance to make the MLS. We will see out it work out in two to 3 years.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.......They should SCRAP the MLS Draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
                              Was Pulisic a product of the MLS academy system?
                              No. He played with a youth team in PA, until '15. Was able to join Dortmund because he was eligible for a EU passport.
                              However, before going to Dortmund he spent a couple years with the USA's U-17 academy (residency program) in Bradenton, Florida.
                              "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                              - Xavi

Comment

Working...
                              X